The Student Room Group

English Literature

Hi, I'm starting the GCSEs that I have not already started, and for English Literature, I have already got my three books ( An Inspectors Calls, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and Julius Caesar). I want to be prepared just before I start school again, and I have decided that after I have read a book one time, I should go through it, and annotate it w/ my own views. After that, I can look at other resources (e.g. Mr Bruff, CGP). However, I am unsure what I need to look out for when I annotate w/ my own views; it would be great if someone could give me suggestions
Original post by usman_m05
Hi, I'm starting the GCSEs that I have not already started, and for English Literature, I have already got my three books ( An Inspectors Calls, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and Julius Caesar). I want to be prepared just before I start school again, and I have decided that after I have read a book one time, I should go through it, and annotate it w/ my own views. After that, I can look at other resources (e.g. Mr Bruff, CGP). However, I am unsure what I need to look out for when I annotate w/ my own views; it would be great if someone could give me suggestions

Things to look out for when reading Shakespeare is literary techniques. E.g. metaphors, similes, rhyme, double entendres, sexual innuendos, irony, foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is a particularly big thing in Julius Caesar.
With Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde it is helpful to know some context about when it is set. Reading up about Victorian English society and morals is important to the plot of Jekyll and Hyde as repression of sexual desire and violence is a recurring theme in the text. You may want to annotate any passages that are descriptive with the intent to scare the reader- this links to the Gothic tradition of novels that were popular from the 18th century.

This article is a good starting point for getting into the themes in Jekyll and Hyde. It might be a bit difficult to read but it's a good introduction to studying the book.

https://www.bl.uk/romantics-and-victorians/articles/duality-in-robert-louis-stevensons-strange-case-of-dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde
Look out for methods used by the author. Eg dramatic irony, use of props and sound effects in AIC, parallels and contrasts between characters. Try to identify the key themes in the play/ novel. Also, annotate any interpretations you may have for the characters. For example in AIC there’s a quotes about Mrs Birling along the lines of ‘a cold woman, her husband’s social superior’, annotate the different meaning that could have and do that for other quotes. You’ll go over it more in-depth in class. I hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by BuckHowls
Things to look out for when reading Shakespeare is literary techniques. E.g. metaphors, similes, rhyme, double entendres, sexual innuendos, irony, foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is a particularly big thing in Julius Caesar.
With Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde it is helpful to know some context about when it is set. Reading up about Victorian English society and morals is important to the plot of Jekyll and Hyde as repression of sexual desire and violence is a recurring theme in the text. You may want to annotate any passages that are descriptive with the intent to scare the reader- this links to the Gothic tradition of novels that were popular from the 18th century.

This article is a good starting point for getting into the themes in Jekyll and Hyde. It might be a bit difficult to read but it's a good introduction to studying the book.

https://www.bl.uk/romantics-and-victorians/articles/duality-in-robert-louis-stevensons-strange-case-of-dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde

Thanks a lot! It really helps

Quick Reply

Latest