The Student Room Group

GCSEs for a law degree at Oxbridge

I am wondering to what extent my GCSE results will hinder any possible chance of studying law at Oxbridge.

They are as follows:

Eng Lit - 8
Geography - 8
History - 8
French - 7
Eng Lang - 7
Religious Studies - 7
Maths - 6
Classics - 5
Physics - 5
Biology - 5
Chemistry - 4 (Only sat one paper)

Any responses are most welcome.
If you take highly academic A-Levels and get A*/A in all of them you may get it, also interviews and any exams they want you to sit are quite important.
Classics actually pissed me off the mock papers we received were so much easier than the actual exams.
The questions were so specific.
I thought I was the only one who done classics.
Original post by inattentional
If you take highly academic A-Levels and get A*/A in all of them you may get it, also interviews and any exams they want you to sit are quite important.

Do you have to sit a required aptitude test?
Original post by OptimisticMedic
Classics actually pissed me off the mock papers we received were so much easier than the actual exams.
The questions were so specific.
I thought I was the only one who done classics.

Completely agree - did you do OCR?
Original post by claudiopuccini
Completely agree - did you do OCR?

Yes the first paper omg.
Hardest paper I sat.
The 1 and 2 markers were horrible and the last question i did not know what the ara pacis even meant.
Revised classics over the half term in prepartion for paper 2 more than any subject.

I believe you do for Oxford but im not 100% sure, probably will for Cambridge too
I believe you do for Oxford but im not 100% sure, probably will for Cambridge too

Thanks very much.
Reply 8

Yes. A strong performance in that should offset any potential disadvantage from your GCSEs. Besides, you did very well in the more relevant subjects.
Original post by Sinnoh
Yes. A strong performance in that should offset any potential disadvantage from your GCSEs. Besides, you did very well in the more relevant subjects.

Great - you've reassured me! Thanks for your help C
For Law you will need to take the LNAT. Apart from that your GCSEs are not bad at all. I've looked at Oxford admission documents, and in 2017 the colleges published the average number of GCSE A*/8/9 the students achieved for their college. There were no lower than 4. Most of the colleges had an average of 6 or 7. However, this is an average and people with lower than 4 will have got in. As a word of advice, Cambridge have been known to care less about GCSE grades than Oxford. Other than that, well done on your results pal, hope you're happy with them.
Original post by aliferra
For Law you will need to take the LNAT. Apart from that your GCSEs are not bad at all. I've looked at Oxford admission documents, and in 2017 the colleges published the average number of GCSE A*/8/9 the students achieved for their college. There were no lower than 4. Most of the colleges had an average of 6 or 7. However, this is an average and people with lower than 4 will have got in. As a word of advice, Cambridge have been known to care less about GCSE grades than Oxford. Other than that, well done on your results pal, hope you're happy with them.

Thanks for doing the digging for me! All the best C
Thanks for doing the digging for me! All the best C

No problem!

Also, would you class Economics, History, Politics and Classics as 'highly academic'?
Also, would you class Economics, History, Politics and Classics as 'highly academic'?

Most likely they would be yes, but check the course you’re after doesnt want a specific A-Level such as English

Quick Reply

Latest