The Student Room Group

Help me choose my A-Levels

I want to pursue a humanities degree, possibly law or politics or something like that. here are my gcse predicted grades

French 5 (possibly a 6 as I was one mark away from 6 in mocks)
Chemistry 7
Physics 7
English Language 7
Biology 8
History 9
Maths 8-9 (performance fluctuates so unclear)
Religious Studies 9
English Literature 9
Ancient History 8-9 (performance fluctuates so unclear)

I was thinking about maybe doing English lit, politics and history. I was wondering if I should do economics, classical civilization or philosophy as a 4th A-Level or whether I should just do 3 A-Levels + EPQ. My goal is to get into the top four law schools (Oxbridge, UCL, LSE) so I need to have a pretty competitive edge. I don't really like maths and science in general and I was wondering if that would seriously handicap me at A-Level economics.
Reply 1
Original post by mattheww0863
I want to pursue a humanities degree, possibly law or politics or something like that. here are my gcse predicted grades

French 5 (possibly a 6 as I was one mark away from 6 in mocks)
Chemistry 7
Physics 7
English Language 7
Biology 8
History 9
Maths 8-9 (performance fluctuates so unclear)
Religious Studies 9
English Literature 9
Ancient History 8-9 (performance fluctuates so unclear)

I was thinking about maybe doing English lit, politics and history. I was wondering if I should do economics, classical civilization or philosophy as a 4th A-Level or whether I should just do 3 A-Levels + EPQ. My goal is to get into the top four law schools (Oxbridge, UCL, LSE) so I need to have a pretty competitive edge. I don't really like maths and science in general and I was wondering if that would seriously handicap me at A-Level economics.

Hi there! It sounds like you have some good choices for studying a degree in humanities. I think History and English Lit are solid choices, honestly if you're looking at getting good grades then i would just recommend your 3rd/4th subject to be something that you're passionate and enjoy as you will already have 2 very relevant subjects. For example for me, I wanted to study Engineering so did physics and maths a lvl then did PE as my 3rd because it was something i enjoyed and thought i could get a good grade in. The big thing for things like Oxbridge though is not so much how well you perform in school. At that level the norm is already people getting exceptional grades so if you want to stand out could i recommend doing stuff outside of the classroom, volunteering/helping out with a party etc. I think building a good portfolio early will be beneficial for when it comes to applying to university. Hope this Helps!
Reply 2
A level economics has very little maths in it, a few marks a paper at the most, there are a lot of graphs involved but it's all mostly theoretical. If you look up the past papers you'll see it's mostly essay Qs and stimulus responses, if you can write you'll be fine, you just need to understand the theory, none of which is impossible. Overall though I just wouldn't bother with a 4th subject, it doesn't matter to unis that you've done an extra subject, just that you've done incredibly well at at least three. It's better to get three predicted A*s than like three As and a B when you're applying, so I would focus on doing really well on 3.
On an extra note, your a levels are great if you're aiming for a humanities degree, if you do an EPQ then try and do it based on something related to what you want to study at uni, to help you get a better understanding. I don't think you'll have to write a personal statement when you apply from next year but it's essential to show extra interest in your application for oxbridge etc, away from your traditional studies e.g my friend did her epq exploring the downfall of tsarist russia and then applied for history

Quick Reply

Latest