The Student Room Group

4 alevels and an Epq

For a levels im doing maths. Biology, chemistry and Arabic, however I'm a bit unsure whether to do an epq or not . For gcses I didn't get the highest grades . 98,9,8,7,6,6,5 mostly due to the quick jump to the UK and different schools. I'm now ambitiously trying to redeem my grades in A-levels so that oxbridge will.consider me (especially Cambridge). Will doing an epq and getting a high grade on it boost my chances in getting into oxbridge ?
Reply 1
No University requires more than 3 A levels - and no degree subject requires or prefers those who do an EPQ.

Just be realistic about what you can handle - its pointless taking on too much and messing it up.
Remember - AAA will always look better than ABBB with a C in EPQ.
Reply 2
Original post by alinara
For a levels im doing maths. Biology, chemistry and Arabic, however I'm a bit unsure whether to do an epq or not . For gcses I didn't get the highest grades . 98,9,8,7,6,6,5 mostly due to the quick jump to the UK and different schools. I'm now ambitiously trying to redeem my grades in A-levels so that oxbridge will.consider me (especially Cambridge). Will doing an epq and getting a high grade on it boost my chances in getting into oxbridge ?

Drop an A-level as there is no benefit in doing 4. If Arabic is your native language, I'd drop that that one, as many unis will not even recognise foreign language A-level, where the student is actually native in that language.

EPQ is not required by Cambridge, but they do like them as it demonstrated research skills and independent study skills. If you do one that is relevant to your degree subject, it is also a great way of getting super curriculars for your Personal Statement, and can be a good topic of conversation at interview.
Original post by McGinger
No University requires more than 3 A levels - and no degree subject requires or prefers those who do an EPQ.

Just be realistic about what you can handle - its pointless taking on too much and messing it up.
Remember - AAA will always look better than ABBB with a C in EPQ.

I also agree. I almost took an EPQ, but made a last minute choice not to. Although I was worried this might lower my chances to go into university, I managed to get an offer and I am currently studying law. Furthermore, getting into oxbridge would be great, but, personally, I believe you could also prosper quite well in other universities too. In this day and age, many industries are looking to see what sort of work experience and skills you have developed throughout your time at university, more than just a degree, although getting a degree is just as important.

I hope this helped.

Kind regards,

Coventry University Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by lalexm
Drop an A-level as there is no benefit in doing 4. If Arabic is your native language, I'd drop that that one, as many unis will not even recognise foreign language A-level, where the student is actually native in that language.

EPQ is not required by Cambridge, but they do like them as it demonstrated research skills and independent study skills. If you do one that is relevant to your degree subject, it is also a great way of getting super curriculars for your Personal Statement, and can be a good topic of conversation at interview.

Do extra UCAS points have no advantage ? Since an A* in an a level is worth much more than an EPQ
Reply 5
Original post by alinara
Do extra UCAS points have no advantage ? Since an A* in an a level is worth much more than an EPQ

Yes, but only the low tariff unis use UCAS points these days. All the mid tier and high tier unis want specific grades e.g AAA. Having 4 A-level makes no difference. For example, if you got AABB, you would still have missed your offer.
Reply 6
Original post by alinara

Oxbridge and other top Unis do not look at UCAS points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending