The Student Room Group

A level English language paper 1 question 1 attempt help please!!

Before the holidays, my English Language teacher had made it quite clear that it was imperative to look for any piece of writhing, whether it be articles, books, blogs or even a sentence with the aim of attempt to write answers in order to get us prepped for the real exam in 2020. So here I am and I’ve done just that, now all I need is for the English Language experts to help assess my work and give me feedback on how I need to improve. Down below, you’ll see the text I analysed and how the language created representations and meanings.
Text
The girls line up behind a row of illuminated podiums, and the first of the men arrives, sliding down the same pipe Paddy used earlier (if you'll pardon the expression). Said bloke must impress the women by speaking, dancing, performing party tricks, and so on,

Analyse how Text B uses language to create meanings and representations (25 marks)

Answer By the way I skipped audience, purpose and all that just so that I could focus on picking out language features and how they were represented
The article creates the impression that men are represented as subservient and inferior beings in comparison to women. This is reinforced through the imperative “bloke must impress the women” in which we are accustomed to the stative verb “impress” which conjures up connotations of attempting to please, satisfy and showcase an ability. Often, we gather the ideology that by trying to impress an individual or group, you are actively trying to converge with them and reach their status. This insinuates that that men have been put in a position to make a woman feel emotionally content and superior. The article structures its text by continually referring to individuals in third person subject pronouns, perhaps because the author is generalising what usually occurs on the show and not just one instance whilst conducting this in a narrative way. The show is represented as a place of entertainment through its use of asyndetic listing - “speaking, dancing, performing party tricks and so on”. Whilst this feature has been used to exaggerate the talents men bring to the show, it implies that men have several talents in regard to pleasing others. A semantic field of skill has been endorsed through the use of the adverbs “speaking, dancing, performing party tricks” which further represents men as individuals who acquire many talents.
Anyone?
Hi, I did A Level English Language and took my exams in June. Great use of language features (third person pronouns, imperatives etc), you clearly know your terminology. Refrain from using personal pronouns when writing answers such as these. For example “often WE gather the ideology” and “YOU are actively”. It sounds less academic as it sounds as though you’re directly addressing the reader of your answer
Original post by anonONE1
Hi, I did A Level English Language and took my exams in June. Great use of language features (third person pronouns, imperatives etc), you clearly know your terminology. Refrain from using personal pronouns when writing answers such as these. For example “often WE gather the ideology” and “YOU are actively”. It sounds less academic as it sounds as though you’re directly addressing the reader of your answer

Thanks you so much for your advice! Just out of curiosity, what grade did you get in your your coursework and how did it effect your overall grade? Do you think if I got an A in the coursework and a low B/ high C in the exam, would that be enough for me to attain a B grade?
Also do you know of any phrases I could use to refrain from using personal pronouns during instances like these?
Original post by ReusCrispies
Thanks you so much for your advice! Just out of curiosity, what grade did you get in your your coursework and how did it effect your overall grade? Do you think if I got an A in the coursework and a low B/ high C in the exam, would that be enough for me to attain a B grade?

I got an A in my coursework. I then did three exams and got AAB. overall I got an A. If you got an A in your coursework and got low Bs in the exams then you could definitely get a low B overall. However, if you got Cs in the exam it might be pushing it a bit
I got an A in my coursework. I then did three exams and got AAB. overall I got an A. If you got an A in your coursework and got low Bs in the exams then you could definitely get a low B overall. However, if you got Cs in the exam it might be pushing it a bit

Well done on your results and thanks for the info!
Well done on your results and thanks for the info!

No problem, let me know if there’s anything else :smile:
No problem, let me know if there’s anything else :smile:

Sure :smile:
1. How many language features on average should i pick out?
2. How did you structure you essays for paper 1 Q 1+2?
3.What other subjects did you take at Alevel?
4 Are you at Uni, if so what are you studying and where?
Sure :smile:
1. How many language features on average should i pick out?
2. How did you structure you essays for paper 1 Q 1+2?
3.What other subjects did you take at Alevel?
4 Are you at Uni, if so what are you studying and where?

Every single time you quote something from a text, you need you use terminology to write about it. Every if you’re just picking out a single word, comment/identify its word class. I couldn’t tell you how many language features on average, simply because everything you write should either be a language analysis, terminology, or a theory etc.

For question 1 I did an overview with context audience purpose and then 3-4 middle paragraphs and a conclusion. I did the same for question 2.

I did history, literature and english language. I’m going to study law at the uni of Sussex
Every single time you quote something from a text, you need you use terminology to write about it. Every if you’re just picking out a single word, comment/identify its word class. I couldn’t tell you how many language features on average, simply because everything you write should either be a language analysis, terminology, or a theory etc.

For question 1 I did an overview with context audience purpose and then 3-4 middle paragraphs and a conclusion. I did the same for question 2.

I did history, literature and english language. I’m going to study law at the uni of Sussex

Thanks once more for the advice. Btw I'm also studying history! Modern to be precise. I hope you have a great experience at uni!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending