The Student Room Group

Good website for short online medicine courses?

I am looking to make my personal statement stand out for 2020 medicine entry, was hoping that one of the ways that I could boost it is through doing an online course in something medicine-related, then mentioning it on my statement.
Is this worthwhile, or will Unis flat out not care for it? And if it is worthwhile, could someone please tell me of any good websites where I could find an appropriate medicine course (preferably < 30 hours course).
Many thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by MaxMed
I am looking to make my personal statement stand out for 2020 medicine entry, was hoping that one of the ways that I could boost it is through doing an online course in something medicine-related, then mentioning it on my statement.
Is this worthwhile, or will Unis flat out not care for it? And if it is worthwhile, could someone please tell me of any good websites where I could find an appropriate medicine course (preferably < 30 hours course).

They won't care.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
They won't care.

Are you sure? I would have thought that they’ll find it somewhat impressive?
Reply 3
Original post by MaxMed
Is this worthwhile, or will Unis flat out not care for it? And if it is worthwhile, could someone please tell me of any good websites where I could find an appropriate medicine course (preferably < 30 hours course)

Doing a MOOC because you are interested in a subject is great and may give you something to talk about at some stage, but there are very few medicine courses now that consider your PS as part of their selection process - you can check this for the ones you are interested in on their admissions webpage.
Good suppliers are Coursera, edX, FutureLearn.
Original post by MaxMed

I did courses on coursera and future learn on genetics, because I'd read "My Beutiful Genome" and was interested in learning more about the field and how it had progressed since the book was published. Although I mentioned the courses in the first draft of my PS, I'd taken it out by the final draft (I did still mention the book and my interest in genetics). The topic didn't come up at interview (I did 3) - I'm pretty sure that none of my interviewers had read my PS, otherwise I guess they would have jumped on it.

In short: do it if you're interested, not to look good cos it prob won't make any difference.
Reply 5
Original post by 2500_2
Doing a MOOC because you are interested in a subject is great and may give you something to talk about at some stage, but there are very few medicine courses now that consider your PS as part of their selection process - you can check this for the ones you are interested in on their admissions webpage.
Good suppliers are Coursera, edX, FutureLearn.

very useful info! I know that 3 of the unis I am applying to don’t consider it, but Cambridge is holistic which I believe means that they will give it some weight.
many thanks
Reply 6
Original post by jzdzm
I did courses on coursera and future learn on genetics, because I'd read "My Beutiful Genome" and was interested in learning more about the field and how it had progressed since the book was published. Although I mentioned the courses in the first draft of my PS, I'd taken it out by the final draft (I did still mention the book and my interest in genetics). The topic didn't come up at interview (I did 3) - I'm pretty sure that none of my interviewers had read my PS, otherwise I guess they would have jumped on it.

In short: do it if you're interested, not to look good cos it prob won't make any difference.

Thanks a lot for the response, very useful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending