The Student Room Group

bio, chemistry + English lit

Hi! I have just started year 12 and these are my choices, I did have some interest in medicine but I'm not 100% sure. Are my choices a good match? What other courses can I take in uni? Anyone else done these subject and if so how was it?
Reply 1
Original post by annoymous72
Hi! I have just started year 12 and these are my choices, I did have some interest in medicine but I'm not 100% sure. Are my choices a good match? What other courses can I take in uni? Anyone else done these subject and if so how was it?

Hi! I did bio and chem as well and really enjoyed them! Your choices are a good match to study medicine as the majority of unis need bio and chem (and having a third subject which is not science-based is always good to show that you have a range of interests) but it's really important to be sure about applying for medicine as it's a very demanding course and career.

Since you're not sure about medicine, you can find medical students eg on the student room/ on "Chat to a student" on UCAS to find out more about the course and try to speak to some doctors if you can (otherwise there's lots of online work experience so you can see what a career in medicine would look like). Also going to in-person open days for universities can be really useful to ask the students their honest opinion about their courses.

If you decide not to study medicine, don't worry there are lots of other courses related to bio and chem eg biomedical sciences, microbiology, biotechnology, genetics (which can lead to a career in biomedical research) and allied health professions such as pharmacy and optometry - have a look on the NHS careers website if you're interested in a health-related career. Since you like English lit, maybe a career in biomedical research might be good as you may enjoy writing research papers.

Hope this helps! (Also let me know if you have other questions relating to studying bio and chem) :smile:
Reply 2
Pharmacy
Pharmacology
Biology
Zoology
Neuroscience
Anatomy / Physiology
Chemistry
Biology
Biomed
Biochem
Law