The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

What is life at Imperial really like?

I am going to go into first year civil engineering and I am looking so forward to it. I have spoken to some people who are currently students there and some have mentioned the crazy workload you are given and how it is almost impossible to stay on top of your work and that a social life will be near impossible if you are commuting. I just wanted other people's views/experience regarding this matter and if they have any advice for people in a similar situation to me.

Scroll to see replies

I have friends at imperial who do mechanical and aeronautical engineering. They do mention the tough workload but they are also quite active in sports and societies as well as having a night life. As long as you work hard and dont procrastinate you should be fine.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by angelike1
I have friends at imperial who do mechanical and aeronautical engineering. They do mention the tough workload but they are also quite active in sports and societies as well as having a night life. As long as you work hard and dont procrastinate you should be fine.

Alright thanks! Would commuting make the experience more tedious? Is it still possible to be active in sports if you are commuting?
Reply 3
how far would you be commuting?
Original post by Anonymous
I am going to go into first year civil engineering and I am looking so forward to it. I have spoken to some people who are currently students there and some have mentioned the crazy workload you are given and how it is almost impossible to stay on top of your work and that a social life will be near impossible if you are commuting. I just wanted other people's views/experience regarding this matter and if they have any advice for people in a similar situation to me.

i hope you like sausages
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
how far would you be commuting?

About an hour each way, I know this is fairly long but I plan to do productive things during my commute.
Reply 6
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i hope you like sausages

What?
Reply 7
About an hour each way, I know this is fairly long but I plan to do productive things during my commute.

From which station would you travel? An hour seems a long way, but I think so much of the Imperial accommodation is a commute away, and most second/ third years cant live locally anyway that its probably an easier place to be a commuter than more campus type universities where students live in student type areas and hang our with each other.
Alright thanks! Would commuting make the experience more tedious? Is it still possible to be active in sports if you are commuting?

Probably depends on the sports you want to do. Stuff like football, rugby and hockey hold training sessions a bit far from imperial (they usually take a minibus) so you'll be back at south kensington at about 9pm.
So if you dont mind coming home at 10pm its not a problem. But yeah some sports may have sessions closer to campus and may be earlier in the day.
What?

lol he means imperial has a high boy:girl ratio, especially when its engineering
lol he means imperial has a high boy:girl ratio, especially when its engineering

Ahhh xD I have heard the ratio in civil is not so bad when compared to other types of engineering.
Probably depends on the sports you want to do. Stuff like football, rugby and hockey hold training sessions a bit far from imperial (they usually take a minibus) so you'll be back at south kensington at about 9pm.
So if you dont mind coming home at 10pm its not a problem. But yeah some sports may have sessions closer to campus and may be earlier in the day.

I'm fine with that, I expect my university days to be long as it is. I will probably be doing a fair chunk of work at the university too.
Original post by ajj2000
From which station would you travel? An hour seems a long way, but I think so much of the Imperial accommodation is a commute away, and most second/ third years cant live locally anyway that its probably an easier place to be a commuter than more campus type universities where students live in student type areas and hang our with each other.

I am travelling from South-East Greater London, as Imperial is located in the West of London the commute gets dragged out a little.
Yeah, the work load is quite high, but manageable if you manage your time well.
During first year, I slacked off for the first two terms and then had to pull so many all-nighters to catch up...it was exhausting. Never again (Well, I say that).

There are over 370 clubs/societies so I think you will be able to find one you enjoy or create one. There's also a good night life when you make friends with people in your course. I commuted from home, and still did go clubbing with friends, though not as much as I would have if I lived in halls for first year.

Second year is the hardest in my opinion, so that's the year where it may be near "impossible" to stay on top of work, but for first year, it should be pretty decent, though harder than most other universities. :smile:
Yeah, the work load is quite high, but manageable if you manage your time well.
During first year, I slacked off for the first two terms and then had to pull so many all-nighters to catch up...it was exhausting. Never again (Well, I say that).

There are over 370 clubs/societies so I think you will be able to find one you enjoy or create one. There's also a good night life when you make friends with people in your course. I commuted from home, and still did go clubbing with friends, though not as much as I would have if I lived in halls for first year.

Second year is the hardest in my opinion, so that's the year where it may be near "impossible" to stay on top of work, but for first year, it should be pretty decent, though harder than most other universities. :smile:

Thank you! :smile: What would I need to do to get a first? I really want a first. (This may sound like a stupid question, sorry!)
Thank you! :smile: What would I need to do to get a first? I really want a first. (This may sound like a stupid question, sorry!)

Well, you would definitely have to keep on top of all your work constantly so that when it comes to exam time you aren't overloaded.

For my course during first year, I had exams to revise for, a big project due in right before them, and two coding projects which meant that if you didn't prepare for the exams before, it would be really challenging to get a first.

There's this thing called the Dean's list which I believe gives the names of the top 10 students of the year and I think the average score between all of them was around 80% this year.

During 2nd year, it was even harder because not only were there more exams, you go into much more depth, and the projects are really hard as well and some last throughout the whole year.

You also have to make sure you do well every year since your marks from first and second year count towards your final grade.
Ahhh xD I have heard the ratio in civil is not so bad when compared to other types of engineering.

I think its like 80% guys in mecheng:lol:

Better than some other courses :frown:

Better than some other courses :frown:

It's around 60% guys in civ eng :colondollar:

You will probably get tired quite quickly from the intense work load + commuting 2hrs a day. So you may not be able to manage sports and societies on top of that if you want to get a 1st. You will probably find a balance with 1-2 extracurricular but yeh, it's going to be tiring. I commuted to Imperial so I have first hand experience of the exhaustion lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending