The Student Room Group

Six figure salary jobs without a degree

So i saw this list online while looking for my brother to see if a uni degree is actually necessary.

Some of the jobs seem surprising to be paying that much, how accurate do you guys think it is?

https://www.theypzone.com/5-six-figure-salary-jobs-without-a-degree/

Scroll to see replies

100% accurate if you land a job working for the right employer
Reply 2
Original post by i have no name
So i saw this list online while looking for my brother to see if a uni degree is actually necessary.

Some of the jobs seem surprising to be paying that much, how accurate do you guys think it is?

From first hand experience as a plumber/electrician they are correct, unsure how much elect/plumbers make within UK as I left at an early age but within Australia I was charging the equivalent of 50-60 UK pounds per hour, sometimes more. I made enough money to semi retire at age 40 and get into the real estate business. If good at the job there is a fortune awaiting as there seems to be a gross shortages of highly skilled tradesmen, at least within Australia and the Czech Republic where I now reside. The shortage within CZR is so bad you could pick and choose the most lucrative jobs (if you could speak CZ which I cant)!
LOL, in the past it was a case of clowns in business suits sneering at the tradesman not realizing the 'tradesman' was a millionaire... I did attend university within Australia and have a useless BA degree... Tradespeople make $$$$$ degree don't............

You will, on average, earn more with an in-demand degree.

In Silicon Valley, a raw graduate can start on more than $100k, potentially significantly more.
Original post by olivia.francesca
100% accurate if you land a job working for the right employer

So you think it’s definitely possible to make $100k plus without a degree?
Original post by RogerOxon
You will, on average, earn more with an in-demand degree.

In Silicon Valley, a raw graduate can start on more than $100k, potentially significantly more.

Agreed, but aren’t places like Silicoj Valley extremely strict on where you studied and only recruit from Ivy League?

its a big number but in reality, san Francisco is the most expensive place in the world so 100k is less than average

is it accurate, technically. Is it a good list? no.

Real estate, to make 6figs you need to be dealing the right kind of property, and whilst its very possible, only a slim number make this and there normally doing this in like London city centre where they have much higher living costs...

Pilot, yes this is a very good example, pilots can make 6figures early in their career, but tbf most either do have a degree or were military pilots for 20 years first. You still need to study avionics, fluid mechanics etc.. the cost of 'pilot school' is equivalent to that of uni, so you still do further education, just a different piece of paper.

Entrepreneur, not really a job, and durrr, ownership is where most the money is, and that in & of itself is not really a career either.

Plumber, No they only make 6figs if they become an entrepreneur, but worker as a shift plumber then this is wrong.

Ethical hacker, i have no idea, but i know Unis now offer this degree so for a short window of time you probably can, but i suspect the window is closing.
Agreed, but aren’t places like Silicoj Valley extremely strict on where you studied and only recruit from Ivy League?

Do top tech firms, want the top prospects? of course, yes theyll hire the people with stacked CV's, this normally tends to be the ones at top schools.

Do you need to go to an Ivy exclusively, no, that would not be smart.

for example Stanford, Berkley & UCLA are all right on their door step but none of them are Ivy's im sure theres just as many (if not more) Stanford grads in the tech firms then there are Yale or Dartmouth.
Wow I didn’t realise that plumbers were making so much money
Original post by Paolo3100
its a big number but in reality, san Francisco is the most expensive place in the world so 100k is less than average

This is very important, a $100k will go a lot further in San Francisco compared to say Ohio
Original post by mnot

Real estate, to make 6figs you need to be dealing the right kind of property, and whilst its very possible, only a slim number make this and there normally doing this in like London city centre where they have much higher living costs...

Pilot, yes this is a very good example, pilots can make 6figures early in their career, but tbf most either do have a degree or were military pilots for 20 years first. You still need to study avionics, fluid mechanics etc.. the cost of 'pilot school' is equivalent to that of uni, so you still do further education, just a different piece of paper.

Entrepreneur, not really a job, and durrr, ownership is where most the money is, and that in & of itself is not really a career either.

Plumber, No they only make 6figs if they become an entrepreneur, but worker as a shift plumber then this is wrong.

Ethical hacker, i have no idea, but i know Unis now offer this degree so for a short window of time you probably can, but i suspect the window is closing.

Original post by mnot

What other jobs do you think don’t require a degree that you can make 100k plus in
Original post by mnot
Do top tech firms, want the top prospects? of course, yes theyll hire the people with stacked CV's, this normally tends to be the ones at top schools.

Do you need to go to an Ivy exclusively, no, that would not be smart.

for example Stanford, Berkley & UCLA are all right on their door step but none of them are Ivy's im sure theres just as many (if not more) Stanford grads in the tech firms then there are Yale or Dartmouth.

I get you, good universities and grades are essential imo

Both of my parents do it.

No, we aren't. There is far more demand here than they could supply.

There are a few more expensive places down the SF Peninsula - I live in one of them. The whole 'Valley is very expensive. Areas with worse schools are cheaper, e.g. San Jose, where many companies are based.

Many focus on how much they can get paid, rather than quality of life. You generally get paid more to work in more expensive areas, which might not be worthwhile overall. Some careers that don't give high headline numbers, but allow you to live in cheap areas, e.g. teacher, can be good options financially, although that's not how I'd choose a career.
Original post by RogerOxon
There are a few more expensive places down the SF Peninsula - I live in one of them. The whole 'Valley is very expensive. Areas with worse schools are cheaper, e.g. San Jose, where many companies are based.

Many focus on how much they can get paid, rather than quality of life. You generally get paid more to work in more expensive areas, which might not be worthwhile overall. Some careers that don't give high headline numbers, but allow you to live in cheap areas, e.g. teacher, can be good options financially, although that's not how I'd choose a career.

on a 100k salary would be able to save 10k a year in san francisco?
on a 100k salary would be able to save 10k a year in san francisco?

Probably not. Below $82k was defined a "low income" for SF (2018). Rents are crazy - a 3 bedroom house in my area would let for over $6k per month. It's not difficult to get over $200k with some ability and experience. We'll see how Trump messes it up though :frown:

In the UK, in computing, you can earn over £100k by your 30s (outside of London), if you're good enough.
I'm not sure that £20 per hour is good. You typically pay quite a lot more as a consumer.

In-demand skills have the potential of earning you very good money. The problem is knowing what will be in-demand. Given the British obsession with their houses, good trades people are always in demand - most would pay a good premium to have a job done well, once. High house prices also help people justify paying premium prices for work on them.

Basically, be amongst the best at what you do, and you'll earn a premium. Yet another reason to pick something that you enjoy as a career.
(edited 4 years ago)
Twenty pounds/hour doesn’t come close to 100k per year. You’d have to be working 11 hours day, every single day of the year to exceed 100k/ year.

An experienced actuary could be making more than 100k a year and strictly speaking you don’t need a degree to become an actuary.
What other jobs do you think don’t require a degree that you can make 100k plus in

You make 6 figures in almost any sector:
but it normally requires: hard work & ability.
But consultancies or 3rd party work that requires high difficulty or risk. These traits often have high financial rewards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending