The Student Room Group

France falls 14 places in homophobia index amid spate of LGBTQ-phobic attacks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My point was more it is hardly exclusive to 'certain foreign groups' (by which i can only assume you mean Muslims?) at any rate i would note that it is more exclusive to, well, any group that identifies as religious or conservative. With the latter being to a point, i guess.
Plus there is still a distinct distaste towards gays amongst the more conservative working classes in Britain. Just because the 'liberal metropolitan elite' are happy to wave the rainbow flag by no means means that the masses do. As shown in various statistical evidence.
Original post by Napp
My point was more it is hardly exclusive to 'certain foreign groups' (by which i can only assume you mean Muslims?) at any rate i would note that it is more exclusive to, well, any group that identifies as religious or conservative. With the latter being to a point, i guess.
Plus there is still a distinct distaste towards gays amongst the more conservative working classes in Britain. Just because the 'liberal metropolitan elite' are happy to wave the rainbow flag by no means means that the masses do. As shown in various statistical evidence.

Can you show me this statistical evidence?
Reply 22
I'm not entirely sure how to send you a PDF on this site? Although, do you have access to JSTOR?
Original post by Napp
I'm not entirely sure how to send you a PDF on this site? Although, do you have access to JSTOR?

Can you not just post the link? Sorry I don’t have access to JSTOR
Reply 24
Ah that could be a problem then. At any rate suffice it to say the article notes a correlation in traditional working class people holding gay culture in limited regard. With that being said it is a relatively old article so views might have changed to a point but i would still be willing to bet that in a broad sense the article holds true.
This debate vaguely reminds me of the film 'billy elliot' actually
Original post by Napp
Ah that could be a problem then. At any rate suffice it to say the article notes a correlation in traditional working class people holding gay culture in limited regard. With that being said it is a relatively old article so views might have changed to a point but i would still be willing to bet that in a broad sense the article holds true.
This debate vaguely reminds me of the film 'billy elliot' actually

I wouldn’t consider anything done to before 2005 to be a good indicator of public attitude tbh; a survey done in 2007 showed that 90% of the British public opposed discrimination against LGBT individuals and more recently a 2013 survey found that 76% agree homosexuality should be accepted by society,

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2007/may/23/equality.

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2013/06/04/the-global-divide-on-homosexuality/
Reply 26
I'll give the articles a read when im back home but to be honest (this might just be ones innate biases here) but i tend to be overly skeptical of polls in general. With that being said i take the point the societal views have changed quite a lot in the past decade or two. Although i am curious about the gap between what is said in public and what is said in private. To that end whilst people broadly might publicly say 'live and let live' their own personal views can, and do, differ quite dramatically from that. I mean i know many who would agree with the point you made but still personally dislike the idea of homosexuality. i.e. the two points are not mutually exclusive.
Original post by Napp
I'll give the articles a read when im back home but to be honest (this might just be ones innate biases here) but i tend to be overly skeptical of polls in general. With that being said i take the point the societal views have changed quite a lot in the past decade or two. Although i am curious about the gap between what is said in public and what is said in private. To that end whilst people broadly might publicly say 'live and let live' their own personal views can, and do, differ quite dramatically from that. I mean i know many who would agree with the point you made but still personally dislike the idea of homosexuality. i.e. the two points are not mutually exclusive.

I kinda get what you mean; I know many working class men who have no problem with gay men but find the idea of having something in their waste pipe abhorrent. I wouldn’t personally consider this homophobic as I am personally equally repulsed by the idea
First they was @ing the Muslims now they @ing the gay people, that's stoic old Franch for you.
Asexual people hate the idea of any kind of sex and it can make feel sick thinking and see any form of sexual contacted even holding hands.
Original post by looloo2134
Asexual people hate the idea of any kind of sex and it can make feel sick thinking and see any form of sexual contacted even holding hands.

Yes that’s also true
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
First they was @ing the Muslims now they @ing the gay people, that's stoic old Franch for you.

you forgetting the dangerous amount of anti-semitism over there? France isn't open for anyone, it's a country riddled in all sorts of mayhem. That's probably why they want to get rid of Marcon but whether a new right wing party will rise is very worrying. One of their right wing parties is extremely anti-semetic and was a holocaust denier. France isn't open for Jewish people
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DR.DOOM
you forgetting the dangerous amount of anti-semitism over there? France isn't open for anyone, it's a country riddled in all sorts of mayhem. That's probably why they won't to get rid of Marcon but whether a new right wing party will rise is very worrying. One of their right wing parties is extremely anti-semetic and was a holocaust denier. France isn't open for Jewish people

Fun fact: France introduced anti-black legislation before even the US.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending