The Student Room Group

Music Production Advice...

Hi there, I was wondering if you could give me any advice, I really want to peruse a career in music production, especially in house music. It’s been a career that I have wanted to do since I was about 10 years old and I have always had a passion for music. Now, nearly 17 and starting my A Levels next week, I’m not sure whether I am making the rights decision to get my dream career as a music producer, or whether I should just focus on getting a more ‘stable’ job if you see what I mean (the music industry is very hard to get into and make a lot of money).
Subjects I am studying at A Level are: Music, art and geography.
I have all necessary equipment for music production including: FL Studio, MIDI Keyboard, DJ decks. I also am grade 5 in both keyboard and flute. It’s just finding the time and a course that will teach me how to become a good music producer.

I felt like I wasted my GCSE years primarily revising and not pursuing this career that I have wanted for so long. Whilst doing my GCSE’s I had all the necessary equipment to start producing music yet it never has seemed to fit into the curriculum at school so I never got chance to practice producing much as I needed to focus on passing my maths, science English etc. I also fear that A Level Music is going to be much of the same, basically focusing on classical musicians and not exploring the electronic dance music scene which I love. Can someone who has done A Level Music tell me whether you could have had the chance to go into EDM music production? Or whether it was solely Classical?

Also, what should should I do once I finish my A Levels? Go to University? Carry on producing music without a stable income? :frown:((

My other option is that I do a degree in geography which is another subject that I’m passionate about, but, I was thinking, whilst I’m young I may as well try and pursue the career in music that I’ve always wanted, before I have a family to provide for too. Advice would be much appreciated!
:biggrin:
Reply 1
I took a level music so I can offer a bit of advice on this. If I'm honest with you, yes most of the course was theory based and heavily based on analysing music, genres tipping more on the classical side, but there are parts where you can dabble into the more modern side, where you can compose your own music, though this was 25% of the course (at least only in mine). Don't know if you have tried the taster sessions before, but it's worth having a look to get a feel of it! A level music is a very hard subject, I don't know if you have done gcse before, but without doing theory or gcse I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a strong passion to educate yourself and learn how to analyse music as the exam would mainly be about it. If you want to try more production of music edm style, I would probably recommend looking into if your college has a music tech course as I know my college had it and it was more of using technology to produce those kind of music. Can't offer my advice on what you could do uni-wise, but I think you still have a lot of time left to think about it, obviously if you're passionate about your subject and willing to go through hardships without giving up because it's your hobby, I'd say you would be making the right choice. Message if you want more details about the course, would be willing to help!
Reply 2
You don't need really need A-Level Music, or any formal musical education, to pursue a career in music or music production. Like other A-Levels, Music is mostly based around the academic side, i.e. writing about music, which yes, generally means classical music. Depending on your specification and college, you might study some popular/commercial styles, but the approach will be similar as with the classical pieces. For the composition component you can do what ever you want, including music production stuff, but that only comes out at about between 25-30% of the A-Level.
Even if you don't take A-Level Music, you'll definitely have more free time to make your own music whilst in college/6th form (although bear in mind that lots of that time is gonna get eaten into by A-Level Art).

If you do take A-Level Music and go on to study it at uni, Music courses are pretty flexible. Of course you'll have to do lots of stuff with classical art music, but there are usually opportunities to take modules in music technology and production (I think it was Surrey in particular which I remember had lots of music tech equipment and studio space, but most unis do to some extent). On the other hand, vocational courses in music production, which might be a better use of your time if you're solely interested in music production, don't require A-Level Music anyway.
Original post by Froggo
I took a level music so I can offer a bit of advice on this. If I'm honest with you, yes most of the course was theory based and heavily based on analysing music, genres tipping more on the classical side, but there are parts where you can dabble into the more modern side, where you can compose your own music, though this was 25% of the course (at least only in mine). Don't know if you have tried the taster sessions before, but it's worth having a look to get a feel of it! A level music is a very hard subject, I don't know if you have done gcse before, but without doing theory or gcse I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a strong passion to educate yourself and learn how to analyse music as the exam would mainly be about it. If you want to try more production of music edm style, I would probably recommend looking into if your college has a music tech course as I know my college had it and it was more of using technology to produce those kind of music. Can't offer my advice on what you could do uni-wise, but I think you still have a lot of time left to think about it, obviously if you're passionate about your subject and willing to go through hardships without giving up because it's your hobby, I'd say you would be making the right choice. Message if you want more details about the course, would be willing to help!

Thank you so much! And yes I did GCSE music 🎧
Original post by CatiCollector
Hi there, I was wondering if you could give me any advice, I really want to peruse a career in music production, especially in house music. It’s been a career that I have wanted to do since I was about 10 years old and I have always had a passion for music. Now, nearly 17 and starting my A Levels next week, I’m not sure whether I am making the rights decision to get my dream career as a music producer, or whether I should just focus on getting a more ‘stable’ job if you see what I mean (the music industry is very hard to get into and make a lot of money).
I have all necessary equipment for music production including: FL Studio, MIDI Keyboard, DJ decks. I also am grade 5 in both keyboard and flute. It’s just finding the time and a course that will teach me how to become a good music producer.

I felt like I wasted my GCSE years primarily revising and not pursuing this career that I have wanted for so long. Whilst doing my GCSE’s I had all the necessary equipment to start producing music yet it never has seemed to fit into the curriculum at school so I never got chance to practice producing much as I needed to focus on passing my maths, science English etc. I also fear that A Level Music is going to be much of the same, basically focusing on classical musicians and not exploring the electronic dance music scene which I love. Can someone who has done A Level Music tell me whether you could have had the chance to go into EDM music production? Or whether it was solely Classical?

Also, what should should I do once I finish my A Levels? Go to University? Carry on producing music without a stable income? :frown:((

My other option is that I do a degree in geography which is another subject that I’m passionate about, but, I was thinking, whilst I’m young I may as well try and pursue the career in music that I’ve always wanted, before I have a family to provide for too. Advice would be much appreciated!

I am a y13 student who also has had the passion for music since a small age..
I would recomend concentrating on your study but also spend 2/3 hours a week on music.. I have started making remixes with my Launchkey Mini and Ableton Live... Then when A levels are finished you will have an idea if music is the way to go.. I have been asked by my principle to DJ a couple of songs for our Prom next year.. I also produce music in the house / reggaeton genre and I am having the time of my life.. Have you already used FL studio? Because the 1st week or so is so stressful to learn everything.. Then It becomes something natural.. My mistake is that I have started producing music in these hollidays and next year is the most important for ME.. But you have a whole year which can be used for both revision and music producing.. I listen to this dude called Sickick.. His music is in that house genre.. Like this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-nCZR8tsfY&list=PL6VNx0Zxd2y65xUiRxaojGdmfeHJN7uL6&index=1

Anymore tips, PM me
Thank you so much for your feedback! Yes I do have FL Studio :smile: I’ve been using it for nearly 3 years but still not at the level of production I want to get to :/
Thank you so much for your feedback! Yes I do have FL Studio :smile: I’ve been using it for nearly 3 years but still not at the level of production I want to get to :/

What's wrong? Like what's the level of production you want? SO I use Ableton but FL studio is pretty similar.. The way I began was to loop other peoples songs.. I would find a part in the song which is just instrumental.. I would get that, loop it and probably lower the transpose and add reverb, etc.. I would then add simple kicks and snares.. If this is too hard, you can get samples from youtube.. Then I would add in vocals.. It is close to impossible to find someone with just words.. So I get people to send me their voice, I tweak it and add it to my track..
Sorry this is long ago now aha! I still want to produce i spend 2/3 hours on it every month! I’ve been creating the sorta sound that I want/like I’ve just gotta turn it into a track some how :smile: And then maybe add some vocals too.
Sorry this is long ago now aha! I still want to produce i spend 2/3 hours on it every month! I’ve been creating the sorta sound that I want/like I’ve just gotta turn it into a track some how :smile: And then maybe add some vocals too.

Hey! I've read this thread and now I'm invested; what did you end up doing a level wise? It's cool to hear you're creating the sound you like, sounds like you're on your way to becoming a fully fledged music producer :biggrin:
Original post by XKangaotiCX
Hey! I've read this thread and now I'm invested; what did you end up doing a level wise? It's cool to hear you're creating the sound you like, sounds like you're on your way to becoming a fully fledged music producer :biggrin:

Hey! I only just got back into my account, but I ended up sticking with my A Levels (music, geography and art) I’m currently in year 13. I’ve applied to university to study geography, I’m still creating music although my motivation has been pretty bad this year (I’m sure it has for most people :frown: ). But yeah, if I don’t get the grades for geography at uni I’m going to study music at university (do a pop/ EDM based course) as the entry grades are only EE.

just get a side job and do music whenever you can. There's no shame in that, and plenty of artists have done that before being able to do music full time

and remember that honestly, you don't need to make incredible music to get a stable career, as long as you can network properly and build up a solid fanbase, making money is simple

if you strictly wanna be a producer, try something like fiverr creating tracks for other people

but if you want to be a serious musician, take a gander at smaller collectives or labels and try to build up a following, from there it gets a lot easier

but honestly, edm music production, especially the underground scene is oversaturated as heck
you NEED to be doing something unique for people to latch on to, or you fade into the 10,000 other house producers on soundcloud, etc, etc

passion can only get you so far unfortunately

but yeah bottom line is, get a job that isnt full time or anything major, and try to work on music as often as you can in your spare time, after a while, it could become a secondary income, and a while after that could become your main income

music takes a lot of time, consistency and honesty, stick with it

2/3 hours a MONTH???? what

not to sound patronizing or anything, but surely you've gotta spend more time than that, especially if you're as passionate as you say you are?
Original post by throwaway2357
2/3 hours a MONTH???? what

not to sound patronizing or anything, but surely you've gotta spend more time than that, especially if you're as passionate as you say you are?

Yeah Ik :/ but everything else has to come first like driving lessons, music lessons, managing my social media’s, college, seeing family, seeing friends. That’s why I don’t do it that much. Although since being at home during lockdown I am finding more time to produce thankfully :smile:
Reply 13
Hey! I only just got back into my account, but I ended up sticking with my A Levels (music, geography and art) I’m currently in year 13. I’ve applied to university to study geography, I’m still creating music although my motivation has been pretty bad this year (I’m sure it has for most people :frown: ). But yeah, if I don’t get the grades for geography at uni I’m going to study music at university (do a pop/ EDM based course) as the entry grades are only EE.

Im just wondering, what uni had EE entry grades ? :smile:
Conservatories for music! :smile: a lot of them do! You do need grade 8 in an instrument tho.

Quick Reply

Latest