The Student Room Group

I think I've picked the wrong course, what should I do?

I'm starting university at Brighton for the first time on the 25th of September to study a BA in Animation. At first I was optimistic, but as the time to moving in and starting draws near I'm really beginning to think that it's not what I want to do. I don't have an issue with moving away or going to university (I'm rather looking forward to moving out and getting my foot into the world), it's the course which is putting me off.

I think what I really want to study is Music Production. I desperately wanted to do Music Production at A Level, but in the end I didn't and I regretted not going to college for it through my entire time at Sixth form. So much so that I nearly dropped out at the end of year 12 to enrol in the college, I only didn't go through with it because the college told me it would be in my best interest to finish my A Levels instead. And now I think that desire is resurfacing, I don't want to make the same mistake and go through the hell that was those 2 years of sixth form again.

The thing is, I've already got a confirmed place at the university and in halls accommodation. They also don't offer Music Production as a course either. I don't know what I should do. I don't know if it's the best idea that I should apply elsewhere through clearing now, if I should try the first few weeks of Animation and then apply through clearing if I still feel the same way, or should I try it for the first term and if I decide it's still not what I want; drop out and apply for next year? I'm really at a loose end here.

I realise that it's not the end of the world. My brother dropped out of university twice before he found the course that was right for him, which also happened to be music. I just REALLY don't want to spend another year out of education after having a pretty bad gap year. I'm so scared of making the wrong decision.
Reply 1
Clearing is still open. but your in a bit of mess considering you booked an accommodation and got a place but you can still make a transfer.
This is a bit of a tricky situation.

You ideally shouldn’t do what you don't want to do and chase what you want to do. You can see if music production is on clearing and apply, but you need to do it now! It'd be a bit of a mad scramble to do everything on time and secure accomodation but you could do it and you'd be doing a course that makes you happy at the end of the day!

You can also take a second gap year (I'm sorry to hear you had a bad one :frown: but if you end up taking a second one it's probably going to turn out better than your first one!) and apply to music production in a more relaxed fashion. Or you can just start animation, it'll give you something to do while you apply for music production elsewhere. But bear in mind that you'll still pay the student fees for the year and that they'll count towards your student debt! I'd really advocate clearing or a second gap year rather than starting university on something you aren't keen on, if it's at all possible.
If you start the academic week (after freshers) you will give up a year of tuition fees.
Why don’t you see if music production is in clearing first?

If it is then you can consider applying. If it isn’t then you know to consider one of your other choices
Original post by Spider8ite
I'm starting university at Brighton for the first time on the 25th of September to study a BA in Animation. At first I was optimistic, but as the time to moving in and starting draws near I'm really beginning to think that it's not what I want to do. I don't have an issue with moving away or going to university (I'm rather looking forward to moving out and getting my foot into the world), it's the course which is putting me off.

I think what I really want to study is Music Production. I desperately wanted to do Music Production at A Level, but in the end I didn't and I regretted not going to college for it through my entire time at Sixth form. So much so that I nearly dropped out at the end of year 12 to enrol in the college, I only didn't go through with it because the college told me it would be in my best interest to finish my A Levels instead. And now I think that desire is resurfacing, I don't want to make the same mistake and go through the hell that was those 2 years of sixth form again.

The thing is, I've already got a confirmed place at the university and in halls accommodation. They also don't offer Music Production as a course either. I don't know what I should do. I don't know if it's the best idea that I should apply elsewhere through clearing now, if I should try the first few weeks of Animation and then apply through clearing if I still feel the same way, or should I try it for the first term and if I decide it's still not what I want; drop out and apply for next year? I'm really at a loose end here.

I realise that it's not the end of the world. My brother dropped out of university twice before he found the course that was right for him, which also happened to be music. I just REALLY don't want to spend another year out of education after having a pretty bad gap year. I'm so scared of making the wrong decision.

Hi @Spider8ite

I’m really sorry to hear of your predicament, it’s such a big decision going to university and moving away, and needs to be the right option for you.
Whilst we don’t offer Music Production as a course title, we do offer Digital Music and Sound Arts BA, In the first year you will study creative studio techniques together with the physical properties of sound which will inform other work on the course. You will be working on creative projects, aimed at opening up new possibilities through an engagement with new audio technologies to develop creative strategies as used in contemporary music and sound art practices. In addition to industry standard production software like Logic Pro, Protools and Ableton Live, we emphasise creative work with musical programming environments such as Pure Data and Max/MSP in order to enable the design of musical interfaces, installations, or systems based on individual creative projects.

You can take a look at the showreel of work that the graduates of this course created here:

If this is of any interest then please call our admissions team as it’s still open in clearing, their number Is 01273 641815. I hope this is helpful, and if you need any further advice please get in touch.

Bex Brighton uni rep :nyan:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending