The Student Room Group

Second guessing my course/career path choice.

Hey, I'm due to start uni next week on a production arts and technical theatre course (all the backstage stuff), but am regretting my decision before the course has even begun, and feel like I'd be so much happier being on the stage, than behind it.

I've always been a passionate musician/actor, and have come from an amazing secondary school with a flourishing music department where my skills were always recognised, and everyone knew everyone. I picked a technical course as I'm good at that stuff, and enjoy doing it, but I want to be recognised in my career, and also have such a strong passion for music that I'm sad to leave it behind.

Coming from such a comparatively small place it's inevitable that I won't get the same recognition as I did at school, but being on stage with other musicians, and being a bigger part of performing is something that I already miss, and would like to grasp back if at all possible.

Any advice or comments if anyone has been (or is) in a similar situation would be really appriciated.
Cheers
Hi there!

As someone who studied a similar course, you're not alone!

My best advice would be to get involved in either a performance society if your uni has one, or to get involved in a local community group. That way, you'll be able to perform, and you'll get to make new friends outside of your course- you get the best of both worlds! Plus, these groups tend to be fairly small, and you never know where they might take you!

Often local theatres also run courses that you can get involved in- I joined the Liverpool Everyman Theatre's youth program while I was a uni and I got to direct a play there which was amazing!

Have a search for courses and groups in your local community, and see what you can find- break a leg! :biggrin:

-Ella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending