The Student Room Group

Should I remark my Psychology papers?

I got A*CC in Sociology, Politics and Psychology A Levels. I'm remarking Politics because I'm now only 1 mark off a B (before I was 2 marks off a B; I filled out a remark form on results day but only remarked one paper according to my head of year's advice and only went up by 1 mark, so I'm going to remark the remaining 2 papers in the hope I get a B).

I'm not sure whether to remark Psychology. I'm 9 marks off a B in Psychology and have been thinking whether to remark it or if I should just resit it in 2020. My head of year also advised me not to remark since it's too risky and that with the way Psychology is marked my grade might not go up.

Has anyone else got their Psych A Level remarked before? If they have, do you think I should get it remarked or should I follow what my head of year is saying?

*UPDATE* 17/09/19 - got my Paper 3 remark back for Politics and the mark hasn't changed so I'm getting Paper 1 remarked because my head of year didn't want to send off 2 at the same time, so I'm still one mark off a B!!!! 🙃🙃🙃🙃AQA are b*st*rds!!! Also i'm just gonna resit Psychology so thanks everyone for the advice
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think you should remark it because 9 marks is quite big, however if you feel the exams went differently to your results, you should. Are you taking a gap year? In this case, if you need it for uni, I recommend you should resit, but if you need a C, it's fine.

I'm kind of in the same boat, I was 4 marks away from an A in sociology and 2 marks away from an A in psychology too. Really unsure on whether remarking is worth it. I'm taking a gap year tho, so I could also resit psychology and get an A* bc that B was so surprising to me.
Reply 2
Original post by vn1708
I don't think you should remark it because 9 marks is quite big, however if you feel the exams went differently to your results, you should. Are you taking a gap year? In this case, if you need it for uni, I recommend you should resit, but if you need a C, it's fine.

I'm kind of in the same boat, I was 4 marks away from an A in sociology and 2 marks away from an A in psychology too. Really unsure on whether remarking is worth it. I'm taking a gap year tho, so I could also resit psychology and get an A* bc that B was so surprising to me.

Idk I do feel as if I should remark because I don't remember doing absolutely terribly on the Psych papers; there's such a massive gap in UMS between the first and second paper (first paper I got 58, second I got 44, third I got 41). I was shocked but not surprised that I got a C in Psych because it wasn't my strongest subject but I'm glad I didn't get a D or E loooool

I decided to take a spontaneous gap year on results day 🥴I got my firm (Queen Mary) but they changed my course from Law and Politics (needed AAA) to Human Geography which I had noooooo interest in whatsoever (did I even do Geog A Level looool) so I ended up declining. I didn't get my insurance (Warwick, AAB for Law and Sociology) either, and the offers I got via Clearing weren't appealing to me, so I decided there's not a rush to go uni with all my agemates (which my mum disagrees with but we move)

I don't think you should resit, deffo get Psych and Soc remarked!! Have a look into your UMS and see which ones to remark. Do you have a uni place? Or are you planning to reapply? (I'm going to do this)
Original post by xoxsanna
Idk I do feel as if I should remark because I don't remember doing absolutely terribly on the Psych papers; there's such a massive gap in UMS between the first and second paper (first paper I got 58, second I got 44, third I got 41). I was shocked but not surprised that I got a C in Psych because it wasn't my strongest subject but I'm glad I didn't get a D or E loooool

I decided to take a spontaneous gap year on results day 🥴I got my firm (Queen Mary) but they changed my course from Law and Politics (needed AAA) to Human Geography which I had noooooo interest in whatsoever (did I even do Geog A Level looool) so I ended up declining. I didn't get my insurance (Warwick, AAB for Law and Sociology) either, and the offers I got via Clearing weren't appealing to me, so I decided there's not a rush to go uni with all my agemates (which my mum disagrees with but we move)

I don't think you should resit, deffo get Psych and Soc remarked!! Have a look into your UMS and see which ones to remark. Do you have a uni place? Or are you planning to reapply? (I'm going to do this)

what grades did you get in class for psych? i think you may as well resit and at least get an A, which is ur uni requirement. i don’t think there’s much point of taking a risk by remarking to possibly get it up to a B, which is far fetched being 9 marks away and not what you need for uni. however, you can at least try if you don’t mind paying. what grades do you need?

it’s a good decision not to rush into it

i’m taking a gap year and reapplying too.

in soc i got, 58, 42, 60
in psych i got, 59, 61, 59

i missed 20 marks in soc in paper 2 as reflected and 12 marks in psych paper 2... so i’m not sure if i could even push my grade up bc i feel like my chance of getting As was to answer those questions and i feel like my sociology breakdown was pretty accurate to how i felt, but then again it could go up bc it’s subjective? i can’t get paper 2 remarked tho bc i think they were v nice to me with that mark lool. with psych i thought i was safe within the A grade boundary lol. i want to remark but i just don’t want to lose money
(edited 4 years ago)
I got A*CC in Sociology, Politics and Psychology A Levels. I'm remarking Politics because I'm now only 1 mark off a B (before I was 2 marks off a B; I filled out a remark form on results day but only remarked one paper according to my head of year's advice and only went up by 1 mark, so I'm going to remark the remaining 2 papers in the hope I get a B).

I'm not sure whether to remark Psychology. I'm 9 marks off a B in Psychology and have been thinking whether to remark it or if I should just resit it in 2020. My head of year also advised me not to remark since it's too risky and that with the way Psychology is marked my grade might not go up.

Has anyone else got their Psych A Level remarked before? If they have, do you think I should get it remarked or should I follow what my head of year is saying?

Normally suggest remarks when 1-3 off and you need it. To get a whole 9 marks off is even less likely. You could go down.
Chances of a change either way are c 10-20% so most likely there will be no change.

Your choice if you have the money to spare and you dont mind the risk or loss of money.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Normally suggest remarks when 1-3 off and you need it. To get a whole 9 marks off is even less likely. You could go down.
Chances of a change either way are c 10-20% so most likely there will be no change.

Your choice if you have the money to spare and you dont mind the risk or loss of money.

Tbh after thinking about it I'm probably going to end up remarking. I'm just waiting to get my copies of my Psych papers back rn
Reply 6
Original post by vn1708
what grades did you get in class for psych? i think you may as well resit and at least get an A, which is ur uni requirement. i don’t think there’s much point of taking a risk by remarking to possibly get it up to a B, which is far fetched being 9 marks away and not what you need for uni. however, you can at least try if you don’t mind paying. what grades do you need?

it’s a good decision not to rush into it

i’m taking a gap year and reapplying too.

in soc i got, 58, 42, 60
in psych i got, 59, 61, 59

i missed 20 marks in soc in paper 2 as reflected and 12 marks in psych paper 2... so i’m not sure if i could even push my grade up bc i feel like my chance of getting As was to answer those questions and i feel like my sociology breakdown was pretty accurate to how i felt, but then again it could go up bc it’s subjective? i can’t get paper 2 remarked tho bc i think they were v nice to me with that mark lool. with psych i thought i was safe within the A grade boundary lol. i want to remark but i just don’t want to lose money

In class I usually got Bs and sometimes Cs hence why I wasn't too spun by the C but I'm not too happy with it. After thinking I'm just gonna resit, my 6 form will let me resit with them as well

Your Psych marks are so good wtf!! Markers are so stingy just give the 2 marks and call it a day!!!! And with Soc, it deffo is a bit risky if you missed out the 20 marker. Maybe have a look at the other papers and see if there's any room for more marks. 4 marks is also very stingy to not give because it can lit get you to the next grade boundary. Your grades aren't that bad for resitting in my opinion buttttt if you really do want to get the A* in Psych (I'm assuming you were getting high grades in Psych in 6 form), then yeah resit, it is up to you
When you get the results, could you update us, on if your grade went up or stayed the same etc? Thank you!:smile:
In class I usually got Bs and sometimes Cs hence why I wasn't too spun by the C but I'm not too happy with it. After thinking I'm just gonna resit, my 6 form will let me resit with them as well

Your Psych marks are so good wtf!! Markers are so stingy just give the 2 marks and call it a day!!!! And with Soc, it deffo is a bit risky if you missed out the 20 marker. Maybe have a look at the other papers and see if there's any room for more marks. 4 marks is also very stingy to not give because it can lit get you to the next grade boundary. Your grades aren't that bad for resitting in my opinion buttttt if you really do want to get the A* in Psych (I'm assuming you were getting high grades in Psych in 6 form), then yeah resit, it is up to you

Yeah I think the best decision is to resit it too. Ikr, v stingy! I'm resitting another subject, so I may as well do psych again. I'm just going to get sociology reviewed because I cannot go through those exams again. I need AAA and don't currently have even one :/ hopefully they'd accept me possibly with A*AB
hey! i was only 3 UMS marks off a B in my psychology and i spent £110 for a priority remark which came back 2 weeks later with even more marks deducted! it makes no sense and is so unfair considering how close i was too. thankfully i got an A in sociology, was hoping for an A* but i was 15 marks off because of timing.

now i’m resitting my psyc a level (as well as another subject which i got a C in) in order to get AAA/AAB for my firm choice. i did get into my insurance of NTU which i didn’t even get enough UCAS tariff points for however because i’m doing law at uni i need to get into a competitive uni with competitive a levels and i’m so stressed because i need to go up by two grades in two subjects:frown:

hope everything works out for everyone on this thread! (also drop some tips if you can pleaseee)
Original post by bad bunny
hey! i was only 3 UMS marks off a B in my psychology and i spent £110 for a priority remark which came back 2 weeks later with even more marks deducted! it makes no sense and is so unfair considering how close i was too. thankfully i got an A in sociology, was hoping for an A* but i was 15 marks off because of timing.

now i’m resitting my psyc a level (as well as another subject which i got a C in) in order to get AAA/AAB for my firm choice. i did get into my insurance of NTU which i didn’t even get enough UCAS tariff points for however because i’m doing law at uni i need to get into a competitive uni with competitive a levels and i’m so stressed because i need to go up by two grades in two subjects:frown:

hope everything works out for everyone on this thread! (also drop some tips if you can pleaseee)

aw, that's so annoying, well done getting an A in sociology! a competitive uni as in a Russel group? i've heard that for law, they require all three subjects done all in the same year/together.
Original post by vn1708
aw, that's so annoying, well done getting an A in sociology! a competitive uni as in a Russel group? i've heard that for law, they require all three subjects done all in the same year/together.

thank you! and yes a russel group uni. they usually do however i have contacted my firm and they told me that my course is ‘not affected by re-takes’ and that the grade requirements would be the same for me? i still don’t believe it but it’s been said to me so?

plus it’s too late for me to go back to my insurance because i’ve already withdrawn my place.
thank you! and yes a russel group uni. they usually do however i have contacted my firm and they told me that my course is ‘not affected by re-takes’ and that the grade requirements would be the same for me? i still don’t believe it but it’s been said to me so?

plus it’s too late for me to go back to my insurance because i’ve already withdrawn my place.

I meant you'd have to retake all 3 a-levels to have them done in the same year rather than retake 2, but if you've asked them, it should be fine. its good that ur not settling for less especially for law, what uni are u looking to go to?
Original post by vn1708
I meant you'd have to retake all 3 a-levels to have them done in the same year rather than retake 2, but if you've asked them, it should be fine. its good that ur not settling for less especially for law, what uni are u looking to go to?

oh that’s weird i always thought it didn’t matter how many you choose to retake? you’ve scared me now haha. and thank you! it’s a stretch but your right. i’m hoping to go to sheffield. what about you?
oh that’s weird i always thought it didn’t matter how many you choose to retake? you’ve scared me now haha. and thank you! it’s a stretch but your right. i’m hoping to go to sheffield. what about you?

sorry! i can see where they’re coming from tho, bc they want to see how you perform under pressure with the workload. i don’t want to have to retake sociology tho. but hopefully we will be allowed to retake just 2. either manchester or leeds or economics
Original post by vn1708
sorry! i can see where they’re coming from tho, bc they want to see how you perform under pressure with the workload. i don’t want to have to retake sociology tho. but hopefully we will be allowed to retake just 2. either manchester or leeds or economics

i completely get it but then again i managed to get an A before with all the workload so that’s gotta be enough to convince them hopefully. so are you retaking both psyc and sociology? and what were your exam boards for them both?

oooh leeds are quite harsh they only have 5 places on my course...but good luck for you!
i completely get it but then again i managed to get an A before with all the workload so that’s gotta be enough to convince them hopefully. so are you retaking both psyc and sociology? and what were your exam boards for them both?

oooh leeds are quite harsh they only have 5 places on my course...but good luck for you!

that’s true, you’ve already proved them. i really mostly dislike sociology bc of the way it’s accessed and some of the content and i don’t wanna go through that again, i feel like it’s just luck and it can go either way. i struggled to find a way to revise it. i just went for the remark instead of resitting cos idk whether it’d be worth it. both aqa, yours?

i didn’t know there could be as little as 5 places for a course, good luck to you too!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by vn1708
that’s true, you’ve already proved them. i really mostly dislike sociology bc of the way it’s accessed and some of the content and i don’t wanna go through that again, i feel like it’s just luck and it can go either way. i struggled to find a way to revise it. i just went for the remark instead of resitting cos idk whether it’d be worth it. both aqa, yours?

i didn’t know there could be as little as 5 places for a course, good luck to you too!

oh yeah i definitely agree with you, there is a crazy amount of content and you have to remember so many names just for the questions to ask about 1/4 of the content. hopefully the remark comes back good! my psyc was aqa and sociology was ocr (way better than the aqa spec).

and i know it’s ridiculous! but thank you :smile:
i think you should resit.

Hey!!! Omg what the actual hell! That's so so unfair i'm so sorry that happened to you :frown: I want to do Law as well and it's so stress because loads of top unis don't want retakes 😩at least RG unis like Manchester, Southampton, QM and a bunch of others allow retakes. Best of luck to you xo (btw you're so pretty wtf 🥺)

Quick Reply

Latest