The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Jonsieee
Hey guys! I am just about to start my Solicitor Apprenticeship in September (v nervous 😬) and wanted to start this thread to help students applying for the Solicitor Apprenticeship this year. I am happy to answer any questions on the process😊

Hi! I'm also looking into this route, I'm 18 and just completed my A Levels. What company have you got an apprenticeship with (if you don't mind sharing) and do you need a background in law before applying? ~:smile:
Reply 2
Hey 😊 I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say yet (I’ll check), but it’s with one of the big corporate law firms in London. I had two sets of legal work experience on my CV; one at a high street firm and the other at a with an in-house legal team. I didn’t do law at A-level. Realistically, I do believe that the background in law did slightly help me get a position, but I definitely don’t think it was the most important component. Having a background in law merely shows that you have an interest in the subject. However, all your other non-legal extra-curricular activities are much more important as they show that you are driven and have a variety of skills. I wouldn’t stress if you don’t have any legal experience, just talk about your extra-curriculars on your application and how they have provided you with skills that are useful in the legal field. In my experience, the law firms are more likely to choose candidates with loads of extra-curriculars (eg. Gold DofE, Headgirl/boy or on the leadership team, a part-time job, EPQ, clubs and societies) but no legal background over the ones with Legal experience but not much else.
Reply 3
Wow, thank you for that response! :smile: wishing you the best of luck. I’m just searching for a degree apprenticeship due to being fresh out of college, but searching is one of the harder parts. The companies either do not offer apprenticeships or the applications have closed for this year. Also, there isn’t tonnes of information about apprenticeships on the internet!
Reply 4
Your welcome and thank you!🙂 applications for the Solicitor Apprenticeship have closed for the 2019 intake, but will probably open between October and Feb (varies between firms) for the Sept 2020 intake. I also had the same problem when researching the route, but I found the following links the most helpful:

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/legal-apprenticeship-vacancies --> I used this list to look up each firm and see if they offered the Solicitor Apprenticeship that year (a lot easier than randomly looking up firms). I never really used websites such Indeed.co.uk as a lot of firms only advertised their vacancies on their website.

http://www.lex100.com/index.php/apprenticeships --> this website gave me the best and most up-to-date info on both the Paralegal and Solicitor apprenticeships. It also includes interviews from apprentices.

https://www.legal500.com/ --> this website is absolute GOLD when you are researching law firms for your application. It gives you examples of different cases and work from that firm that you can add to the 'why this law firm' section to make you look like you really did your research.

I'd also keep track of any articles on Legal Cheek as they sometimes pop up. Eve Cornell’s video on how she got her training contract really helped me with structuring my answers.

I hope this helps x I just wanna help anyone going through the process as I found it really difficult due to the lack of info and experience with interviews.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Ahhhhh I love Eve Cornwell haha! Thank you so so much! :smile: x
Reply 6
Original post by CE01
Ahhhhh I love Eve Cornwell haha! Thank you so so much! :smile: x

Same! Your welcome 😊
How are you finding it? :-)
Reply 8
Original post by sophie_chu
How are you finding it? :-)

I haven’t started yet. My uni course starts in a few weeks and then I’ll start working in October
Reply 9
Good luck. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by CE01
Good luck. :smile:

Thank you! I just started an insta called london.solicitor.apprentice if anyone wants follow it. I’ll post about my experience as an apprentice and tips for applications 😊
Hi just saw this now I’m thinking of applying to do one in September 2020 but still a bit unsure is it okay if I can pm you some questions I’ll go follow the insta now :smile:
Can’t seem to find the ig
Hi I got a reply from Kennedys asking for a video interview. Anyone have any tips or questions that may come up?
Hi , do you know whether I can become a barrister and what pathway i would have to go ONCE i have completed my solicitor apprenticeship?
Hello, I am very keen on the apprenticeships and wanted to ask a few questions if that is okay.

1) If i received an offer from a firm in connection with the university of law from a birmingham office for example, would i actually go to the university once a week as i’ve read that a lot of the apprenticeships ONLY have online learning?

2) Would i be an actual student of that university i’m with, for example there are accommodations called ‘bag got’ in Birmingham which invite ANY university student, so could I stay in that ‘university’ like accommodation while doing the apprenticeship under a ‘university of law student’?

3) What is the average pay for solicitor apprenticeships and does it increase and when as i have seen very different prices and many companies don’t reveal the prices.

4) If i do attend the university once a week will i meet other people my age? just leaving six form i do want to be sociable too.

5) Which solicitor 6 year apprenticeship is the best? I don’t know which one i should choose, one that really cares about their apprentices and hold events for them and supports them with the actual degree too so we have as much help as university students do?
Original post by rosebudt9
Hello, I am very keen on the apprenticeships and wanted to ask a few questions if that is okay.

1) If i received an offer from a firm in connection with the university of law from a birmingham office for example, would i actually go to the university once a week as i’ve read that a lot of the apprenticeships ONLY have online learning?

2) Would i be an actual student of that university i’m with, for example there are accommodations called ‘bag got’ in Birmingham which invite ANY university student, so could I stay in that ‘university’ like accommodation while doing the apprenticeship under a ‘university of law student’?

3) What is the average pay for solicitor apprenticeships and does it increase and when as i have seen very different prices and many companies don’t reveal the prices.

4) If i do attend the university once a week will i meet other people my age? just leaving six form i do want to be sociable too.

5) Which solicitor 6 year apprenticeship is the best? I don’t know which one i should choose, one that really cares about their apprentices and hold events for them and supports them with the actual degree too so we have as much help as university students do?

1 - you will go in every now and again but the lectures are online. You will have full access to campus and library though

2 - yes! Should be fine. You’re still classed as a student and will get a student ID.

3 - £12-£17k for your first year but it jumps every year. Mine jumped £4/£5k per year

4 - yes! If you make the effort to keep in contact. Also other apprentices and junior lawyers in the firm

5 - not sure what you mean by which one is the best? Do you mean which education provider?

I’m a second year solicitor apprentice and I made an instagram account as I know there’s so much information lacking on this topic. Have a look at my page for an insight into what it’s like being a legal apprentice !! I answer all those questions and more @mylegalcareer

Maia
Original post by surinaadhikari
Hi I got a reply from Kennedys asking for a video interview. Anyone have any tips or questions that may come up?

Things like what are the firm policies, why an apprenticeship, why Kennedy’s!

Im a second year solicitor apprentice and I made an instagram account as I know there’s so much information lacking on this topic. Have a look at my page for an insight into what it’s like being a legal apprentice !! @mylegalcareer

Maia

Latest

Trending

Trending