The Student Room Group

Help need about the future

Hey guys just gonna make a post on here. I’ve just finished my gap year and resat two of my alevels and come out with the same grades as 2022 so a B and 2 C’s. I wanted to do a solicitor degree apprenticeship but if I’m being realistic I won’t get on one. I decided randomly this morning to apply though clearing and got onto a course in international relations and politics. I’m just wondering whether or not I should just go to uni even tho my heart was set on the apprenticeship I’m so conflicted. I Haven’t even applied for student finance so everything that could have gone wrong has basically gone wrong. HELP PLEASEE
Hey,

I know it can seem stressful but it be good to take some time to think over which pathway you would like to take. It might be a good idea to call up the university and have a chat with them, but honest it comes down to research and if you feel you be be happy on the course and uni location. You can apply for student finance just before the course starts, however, there might be a delay on your first payment.

Try not to stress too much and good luck!

Kate
Arts University Plymouth Rep

http://aup.ac.uk/clearing
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠
Hi @Rayaannn

Congratulations on receiving an offer for University.

I know it can be stressful as it is an important decision to make about your future. A solicitor degree apprenticeship is a good route that you can choose to pursue. On top of that though, being offered the opportunity to go to University can serve as a good back up plan.

As a law student, I know that a solicitor degree apprenticeship can be difficult to secure, as the legal career is very competitive. However, if being a lawyer is your dream, you should definitely not be deterred, as A level grades do not mean the end of a legal career.

I just wanted to put out there that there are options to become a lawyer even if you do not take the apprenticeship route. (I myself never applied for an apprenticeship, so unfortunately, I do not know the prospects of successfully getting into the course).

However, for the International Relations and Politics course, it is a good degree, with a chance to expand into multiple careers in the future. (If you wanted to go down a legal route, you can do this mostly likely either by doing a conversion course- the GDL, or by gaining legal work-experience as a paralegal). more information on the GDL can be found here.

I understand that this time can be very stressful for you, but I think it is important to research properly and thinking about your options with a clear mind before making a decision. (I think that either choice that you choose now, would not mean the end of a law career, it would just affect the route that you take to achieve it).

P.S. I don't think you are late to apply for student finance, if you are worried about it you can phone your University to ask for assistance.
I hope this helps. If you need more help on making a decision, perhaps talking to your school, or your school's career advisor may help.

All the best :smile:
Chloe
- University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Rayaannn
Hey guys just gonna make a post on here. I’ve just finished my gap year and resat two of my alevels and come out with the same grades as 2022 so a B and 2 C’s. I wanted to do a solicitor degree apprenticeship but if I’m being realistic I won’t get on one. I decided randomly this morning to apply though clearing and got onto a course in international relations and politics. I’m just wondering whether or not I should just go to uni even tho my heart was set on the apprenticeship I’m so conflicted. I Haven’t even applied for student finance so everything that could have gone wrong has basically gone wrong. HELP PLEASEE

Hey @Rayaannn, I am the Commerical Director here at TSR, and had similar grades to you and went on to study International Relations and Strategic Studies @Aberystwyth University...and it was fantastic. Loved the course, teaches you some great soft skills for the future and from a personal perspective, something I was super passionate about and genuinely enjoyed studying.

Good luck!
Original post by ArtsUniPlymouth
Hey,

I know it can seem stressful but it be good to take some time to think over which pathway you would like to take. It might be a good idea to call up the university and have a chat with them, but honest it comes down to research and if you feel you be be happy on the course and uni location. You can apply for student finance just before the course starts, however, there might be a delay on your first payment.

Kate

priceless advice!
Reply 5

Why are you so sure you won't get an apprenticeship? Recruiters - unlike universities - don't just look at your grades. If there are applicants with better results than you, but you smashed your interviews and seem like a good fit for the company and the apprenticeship, they will go with you despite lower grades.
Reply 6
Original post by ArtsUniPlymouth
Hey,

Kate

Hi thank you so much for your advice I did end up accepting the offer at my local university and am going to look into getting experience in other fields aside from law to see what I really want to do, agai an that you very much 😊
Reply 7
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @Rayaannn

Congratulations on receiving an offer for University.

I know it can be stressful as it is an important decision to make about your future. A solicitor degree apprenticeship is a good route that you can choose to pursue. On top of that though, being offered the opportunity to go to University can serve as a good back up plan.

As a law student, I know that a solicitor degree apprenticeship can be difficult to secure, as the legal career is very competitive. However, if being a lawyer is your dream, you should definitely not be deterred, as A level grades do not mean the end of a legal career.

I just wanted to put out there that there are options to become a lawyer even if you do not take the apprenticeship route. (I myself never applied for an apprenticeship, so unfortunately, I do not know the prospects of successfully getting into the course).

However, for the International Relations and Politics course, it is a good degree, with a chance to expand into multiple careers in the future. (If you wanted to go down a legal route, you can do this mostly likely either by doing a conversion course- the GDL, or by gaining legal work-experience as a paralegal). more information on the GDL can be found here.

I understand that this time can be very stressful for you, but I think it is important to research properly and thinking about your options with a clear mind before making a decision. (I think that either choice that you choose now, would not mean the end of a law career, it would just affect the route that you take to achieve it).

P.S. I don't think you are late to apply for student finance, if you are worried about it you can phone your University to ask for assistance.
I hope this helps. If you need more help on making a decision, perhaps talking to your school, or your school's career advisor may help.

All the best :smile:
Chloe
- University of Kent Student Rep

Hi Chloe you’re completely right I think it was because I was in the heat of the moment that I was stressing a lot. I have decided to pursue my degree and I have just completed work experience in a law firm which I actually really enjoyed so I’m going to continue to strive towards a legal degree but I won’t be putting of other career for it. Thank you very much your adevide was so sweet 😊
Reply 8
Original post by Mara1680
Why are you so sure you won't get an apprenticeship? Recruiters - unlike universities - don't just look at your grades. If there are applicants with better results than you, but you smashed your interviews and seem like a good fit for the company and the apprenticeship, they will go with you despite lower grades.

Yh I think for me most degree apprenticeships are ABB and they have a filtering out process I didn’t want to apply and leave it to chance and that would mean taking a 2nd gap year which would have honestly broken me. I am going to start university this month but I will still be applying for vacation scheme and various internships that will allow me to at least get a foot in the door
Reply 9

Original post by Paulwyn
Hey @Rayaannn, I am the Commerical Director here at TSR, and had similar grades to you and went on to study International Relations and Strategic Studies @Aberystwyth University...and it was fantastic. Loved the course, teaches you some great soft skills for the future and from a personal perspective, something I was super passionate about and genuinely enjoyed studying.

Good luck!

Thank you, I have spoken to some professors and I am genuinely excited to start the course!😊
Reply 10

Thank you, I have spoken to some professors and I am genuinely excited to start the course!😊

Hi,

I was in the same position last year - I resat got the same grade, then resat it again and got 3 legal apprenticeship offers.

From what I understand, you have already agreed to go to university but if your heart ever wonders again then I'll see if I can get you started with some information.

Paralegal apprenticeships often have lower entry requirements and from a figure I got from one firm progression (to the solicitor apprenticeship) is usually 60% with another 5% declining the offer to progress.

Addleshaw Goddard and DLA Piper are a few examples - CCC requirements. Both are large firms.

Some smaller firms have lower entry requirements for solicitor apprenticeships too - I think Clyde and Co is CCC, Mishcon De Reya would definitely consider BBC. And it is also worth a shot for BBB firms like a Pinsent Masons.

In terms of university, I'd say go. University definitely has a social edge with opportunities all over like societies, parties sports etc. If your heart ever dwindles in the first few months then there's no shame in applying to apprenticeships while you're in University (some firms won't allow this, but most won't mind.)

SFE - I would not worry too much about.

I might worry about accommodation, but I'll assume you're fine.

Law -

If you're headed for law, and dead set on being a solicitor your grades might be an issue. Training contracts and vacation schemes often have requirements of ABB/BBB at the lower end. Sooo, maybe look into it a bit more :smile: - GDL's cost around £10,000 btw.

Need any tips, more information about apprenticeships feel free to reply.
Reply 11
Original post by Ajay1233
Hi,

I was in the same position last year - I resat got the same grade, then resat it again and got 3 legal apprenticeship offers.

From what I understand, you have already agreed to go to university but if your heart ever wonders again then I'll see if I can get you started with some information.

Paralegal apprenticeships often have lower entry requirements and from a figure I got from one firm progression (to the solicitor apprenticeship) is usually 60% with another 5% declining the offer to progress.

Addleshaw Goddard and DLA Piper are a few examples - CCC requirements. Both are large firms.

Some smaller firms have lower entry requirements for solicitor apprenticeships too - I think Clyde and Co is CCC, Mishcon De Reya would definitely consider BBC. And it is also worth a shot for BBB firms like a Pinsent Masons.

In terms of university, I'd say go. University definitely has a social edge with opportunities all over like societies, parties sports etc. If your heart ever dwindles in the first few months then there's no shame in applying to apprenticeships while you're in University (some firms won't allow this, but most won't mind.)

SFE - I would not worry too much about.

I might worry about accommodation, but I'll assume you're fine.

Law -

If you're headed for law, and dead set on being a solicitor your grades might be an issue. Training contracts and vacation schemes often have requirements of ABB/BBB at the lower end. Sooo, maybe look into it a bit more :smile: - GDL's cost around £10,000 btw.

Need any tips, more information about apprenticeships feel free to reply.

Hi, thank you so much for this! I have started at university and am feeling like I am stuck in a bit of a limbo. I don't know if I made a mistake as but I am scared to apply for apprenticeships. I think I will still definitely apply as there is no bad outcome. If I get in I can transfer and if I don't I can continue with university. again thank you for the information I will deffo be having a closer look at these firms!!!

YOU CAN GET A SOLICITOR DEGREE APPRETISHIP. THE MINIMUM IS CCC. Below are some links you could use to apply.
https://www.bevanbrittan.com/careers/opportunities/solicitor-apprenticeships/
https://hoganlovells.app.candidats.io/profile/create/a10c83bd-c195-444d-a2f4-500b15278dfd?step=0
https://michelmores.app.candidats.io/profile/create/ca490333-cad2-405f-9708-bb0d3bc9f462?step=0
Reply 13

I tried a new platform called urfuture, you do a personality assessment and matches you to the right career.

Worth looking at:

urfuture.io

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending