The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship or Russell group university?

Is it better to complete a degree apprenticeship in law or go to one of the top universities that have been considered to be highly ranked in LLB Law course?
Original post by lcvedingdong
Is it better to complete a degree apprenticeship in law or go to one of the top universities that have been considered to be highly ranked in LLB Law course?

Hi, solicitor apprentice here

There are pros and cons to both.

If you want to be a barrister- there is no apprenticeship yet sadly.

On the one hand as a solicitor apprentice you will earn a degree, work full time at a law firm, earn a salary, and gain 4 years of valuable work experience ( if you don't count the training contract ) and qualify debt free. Via the apprenticeship, a training contract is also included.

Apprenticeships are very competitive although this isn't a reason not to apply.

On the other hand, going down the uni route means you go down the more academic route in terms of getting your degree. You can also partake in the traditional social aspect of uni. At uni, you will still need to apply for insight schemes, vacation schemes and training contracts which are extremely competitive to qualify as a Solicitor.

All in all, it depends on you. If you have strong communication skills and time management skills especially, and are committed to becoming a solicitor and want to apply the theory you learn in practise, you could be suited to an apprenticeship. If you are still unsure if you want to be a lawyer, or need to develop the above skills and would struggle in a professional corporate environment, a law degree may be suited to you as it gives you the time to develop the skills you need to be successful.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Nawal😊
Reply 2
Original post by nawal1540
Hi, solicitor apprentice here

There are pros and cons to both.

If you want to be a barrister- there is no apprenticeship yet sadly.

On the one hand as a solicitor apprentice you will earn a degree, work full time at a law firm, earn a salary, and gain 4 years of valuable work experience ( if you don't count the training contract ) and qualify debt free. Via the apprenticeship, a training contract is also included.

Apprenticeships are very competitive although this isn't a reason not to apply.

On the other hand, going down the uni route means you go down the more academic route in terms of getting your degree. You can also partake in the traditional social aspect of uni. At uni, you will still need to apply for insight schemes, vacation schemes and training contracts which are extremely competitive to qualify as a Solicitor.

All in all, it depends on you. If you have strong communication skills and time management skills especially, and are committed to becoming a solicitor and want to apply the theory you learn in practise, you could be suited to an apprenticeship. If you are still unsure if you want to be a lawyer, or need to develop the above skills and would struggle in a professional corporate environment, a law degree may be suited to you as it gives you the time to develop the skills you need to be successful.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Nawal😊

Hi,

I've been doing research on degree apprenticeships and they all state that its quite competitive. By that do they mean law firms are quite picky in choosing their apprentices or do many people apply for these. Also, how are you able to eliminate the growing competitiveness (tips would be quite helpful!)

Thanks!!
Reply 3
I would apply for apprenticeships. And I would also apply for full time universities. See what you get offered. Then decide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending