The Student Room Group

Glasgow A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FingersXed84
Hi everyone, I got 662.50 and have emailed the university to see if it’s even worth applying this year.

Does anyone understand how things will be assessed if they are no longer doing a UCAT cut off?

Sorry - what do u mean no ucat cutoff. ? They will rank by results instead or they have no min ucat criteria ? Many thanks !
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hopefulA100
Sorry - what do u mean no ucat cutoff. ? They will rank by results instead or they have no min ucat criteria ? Many thanks !

I don’t know. That’s why I asked.
Reply 42
Hi, I really want to apply to Glasgow for medicine 2020 entry. I have 3A* predicted A levels and UCAT 2800. I am however concerned whether Glasgow will accept resit in (I)GCSE English Language. Can anyone advise on this?
Reply 43
Original post by Zada21
Hi, I really want to apply to Glasgow for medicine 2020 entry. I have 3A* predicted A levels and UCAT 2800. I am however concerned whether Glasgow will accept resit in (I)GCSE English Language. Can anyone advise on this?

Contact them and ask
Reply 44
Original post by GANFYD
Contact them and ask

i have emailed them, repeatedly, but got no reply...i even called and left a message, still no reply.
Thank u anyway
Reply 45
Original post by GANFYD
Contact them and ask

I was just looking over the Glasgow U. response to a FOI request, and they say they do not consider the CGSEs.. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/563227/response/1350911/attach/2/Response%20to%20applicant%20F1185960.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Incidentally, they claim to look at the applications holistically. I would love confirmation of this!
Reply 46
Original post by Zada21
i have emailed them, repeatedly, but got no reply...i even called and left a message, still no reply.
Thank u anyway

From their response to this FOI request, it appears that they do not consider the CGSEs. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/563227/response/1350911/attach/2/Response%20to%20applicant%20F1185960.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Reply 47
Original post by Mom2
I was just looking over the Glasgow U. response to a FOI request, and they say they do not consider the CGSEs.. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/563227/response/1350911/attach/2/Response to applicant F1185960.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Incidentally, they claim to look at the applications holistically. I would love confirmation of this!

My understanding is they “holistically” look at the application to make sure you meet all minimum requirements and if you do they simply rank on UCAT.
Their only gcse requirements are a B in Eng Lang
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by GANFYD
My understanding is they “holistically” look at the application to make sure you meet all minimum requirements and if you do they simply rank on UCAT.
Their only gcse requirements are a B in Eng Lang

But then that would imply that they assess academics during the interview--their entry standards are amongst the highest in the country so are assessed somewhere along the line. Pre-interview makes more sense to me. But maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part. Would be nice to know for sure.
Reply 49
Original post by Mom2
But then that would imply that they assess academics during the interview--their entry standards are amongst the highest in the country so are assessed somewhere along the line. Pre-interview makes more sense to me. But maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part. Would be nice to know for sure.

They just check they meet minimum requirements, they are not assessed at interview. Offers are based on interview
Reply 50
Original post by GANFYD
They just check they meet minimum requirements, they are not assessed at interview. Offers are based on interview

thanks, could the high entry requirements (reported by the Guardian and Complete U guide) be explained by any non-equivalence of scottish and RUK measures of entry requirements?
Reply 51
Original post by Mom2
thanks, could the high entry requirements (reported by the Guardian and Complete U guide) be explained by any non-equivalence of scottish and RUK measures of entry requirements?

Are these requirements or just the scores the people who enter coincidentally have? The entry requirements are AAA for RUK and AAAAA for home applicants, though many enter with higher scores than this.
Past ukcat scores are available on their website
Reply 52
Original post by GANFYD
Are these requirements or just the scores the people who enter coincidentally have? The entry requirements are AAA for RUK and AAAAA for home applicants, though many enter with higher scores than this.
Past ukcat scores are available on their website

the latter, i.e. the actual UCAS tariffs of entrants
Reply 53
Thank you. GCSE English Language B is however indicated as a minimum entry requirement and in the FAQ section they state that resits are not accepted. They don’t clarify however whether this applies only for A Levels or whether it applies for Language as well.
Reply 54
Original post by Mom2
the latter, i.e. the actual UCAS tariffs of entrants

So correlation does not equal causation. Just because entrants happen to have higher scores does not mean they are required to gain entrance. Glasgow is just a popular med school with lots of Scottish applicants and both Advanced Highers and Highers score UCAS points, so many applicants will have 6 qualifications scoring points
Reply 55
Original post by Zada21
Thank you. GCSE English Language B is however indicated as a minimum entry requirement and in the FAQ section they state that resits are not accepted. They don’t clarify however whether this applies only for A Levels or whether it applies for Language as well.

Scottish med schools as a group are not keen on resits, but they may well accept a GCSE one, so keep emailing and try calling
Reply 56
Original post by GANFYD
So correlation does not equal causation. Just because entrants happen to have higher scores does not mean they are required to gain entrance. Glasgow is just a popular med school with lots of Scottish applicants and both Advanced Highers and Highers score UCAS points, so many applicants will have 6 qualifications scoring points

the reason I came to this hypothesis is the contrast with Brighton--it has very low entry standards as measured by the UCAS score of entrants and a way to make sense of it was that they only looked at BMAT scores. So I thought they might attract high BMAT-scorers with relatively low grades.
It's driving me slightly nuts that this info is not simply published and that I have to endlessly speculate. Or maybe the info is published and I missed it.
Reply 57
Original post by Mom2
the reason I came to this hypothesis is the contrast with Brighton--it has very low entry standards as measured by the UCAS score of entrants and a way to make sense of it was that they only looked at BMAT scores. So I thought they might attract high BMAT-scorers with relatively low grades.
It's driving me slightly nuts that this info is not simply published and that I have to endlessly speculate. Or maybe the info is published and I missed it.

An applicant needs AAA to get into both of them. It is the extra highers that give Scottish unis a higher average 5-6 highers and 2 AH add up to a lot of points (although you don't count any subjects continued)
Reply 58
Original post by GANFYD
An applicant needs AAA to get into both of them. It is the extra highers that give Scottish unis a higher average 5-6 highers and 2 AH add up to a lot of points (although you don't count any subjects continued)

got it, thanks.
what is the UCAT cut-off for internationals?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending