The Student Room Group

Invest Young Doctors Programme

I have recently signed up for the InvestIN Young Doctors Programme in Manchester and it states that I must dress in a ‘professional manner’ does this mean I have to wear something very formal as if I was to attend an interview? Or am I allowed to wear something casual such as jeans?

Scroll to see replies

I went to last years event in London and I wouldn’t worry too much- as long as it’s not hoodies and ripped jeans you should be okay! I just wore plain black trousers and a blouse, I think that darker coloured jeans and a ‘smarter’ top would be fine :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks so much :smile: what kind of footwear did you wear?
I just wore my plain black school shoes, but polished them a little first! :smile:
Reply 4
Thank You and generally how old were people mostly? We’re they mostly Sixth formers?
I was in year 11 at the time and was one of the younger ones; I think the majority were in year 12, with a few year 13s too.
I recommend also bringing a notebook along to take notes! There’s a lot of information given to you in a short space of time and it would be a shame to forget any of it :wink:
Reply 6
Ah ok I am currently in Year 11 and yes I will be bringing a notebook to write down anything was it easy to make friends with the other people there? And was it mainly girls or boys? 😊
Original post by ccpiano001
Ah ok I am currently in Year 11 and yes I will be bringing a notebook to write down anything was it easy to make friends with the other people there? And was it mainly girls or boys? 😊

I think there were maybe a few more girls, but it was pretty even. And when it comes to making friends, I can’t really comment; I went with a friend, so didn’t really speak to anyone else. Saying that, it was in a lecture theatre so we had the chance to talk to people nearby if we wanted/needed to :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks (sorry for the excessive amount of questions) did most people come in groups or alone? :smile:
Thanks (sorry for the excessive amount of questions) did most people come in groups or alone? :smile:

No problem! Glad I can help :smile:
I think it was fairly even, though as everyone was in a lecture theatre, it was hard to tell who had come in a group or alone. Though there was some time to discuss, it was predominantly listening so you couldn't really tell who had come in a group anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by MangoTangoo
No problem! Glad I can help :smile:
I think it was fairly even, though as everyone was in a lecture theatre, it was hard to tell who had come in a group or alone. Though there was some time to discuss, it was predominantly listening so you couldn't really tell who had come in a group anyway.

Was most of the day spent in the lecture hall and would you say that this was a useful experience? Also, do you know of an other medicine programmes like this that I could attend?
Was most of the day spent in the lecture hall and would you say that this was a useful experience? Also, do you know of an other medicine programmes like this that I could attend?

Yes, the day is mostly spent in a lecture hall, but we were also able to suture a banana which was fun :wink:. I definitely found it useful; the various speakers tell you a lot about both the application to medicine and the job itself. You hear firsthand from admissions tutors as well as medical students about how best to maximise the chances of getting an offer from a medical school- information that I certainly didn’t know before. You also get the emails of the speakers, which you are able to email at any point in the future to ask any questions regarding your application to medicine.

As for other medicine-related programmes, there are usually various summer schools at top universities around the country- some of which are free if you meet the eligibility criteria. Though these are often expensive if you don’t meet the criteria, and some are only open to year 12s and above...
Many universities also offer courses or events to local students, and if you can get into them, some will even give you a guaranteed interview; it’s worth checking the websites of any local universities to see if they have anything.
Saying this, it’s much more beneficial to your medicine application to have work experience and/ or volunteering in the medical field, as this will allow you to really get a feel for what a career in medicine entails.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 12
Yes, the day is mostly spent in a lecture hall, but we were also able to suture a banana which was fun :wink:. I definitely found it useful; the various speakers tell you a lot about both the application to medicine and the job itself. You hear firsthand from admissions tutors as well as medical students about how best to maximise the chances of getting an offer from a medical school- information that I certainly didn’t know before. You also get the emails of the speakers, which you are able to email at any point in the future to ask any questions regarding your application to medicine.

As for other medicine-related programmes, there are usually various summer schools at top universities around the country- some of which are free if you meet the eligibility criteria. Though these are often expensive if you don’t meet the criteria, and some are only open to year 12s and above...
Many universities also offer courses or events to local students, and if you can get into them, some will even give you a guaranteed interview; it’s worth checking the websites of any local universities to see if they have anything.
Saying this, it’s much more beneficial to your medicine application to have work experience and/ or volunteering in the medical field, as this will allow you to really get a feel for what a career in medicine entails.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks did you have any chance to speak with any other people who were attending? Or were you mostly just listening to the tutor also did most people bring a packed lunch or buy lunch? Did you speak to any other people that were attending during the lunch break? :smile:
Yeah, during the lunch break I briefly spoke with the people sat nearby. As for lunch itself, I had my brought my own, but went with my friend to the shop nearby to grab something. As we were really close the large London Bridge Station, most people went there for the lunch break to buy something. :smile:
Reply 14
Hi, is a black turtleneck with a tartan skirt and black boots appropriate clothing for the day?
Hi, is a black turtleneck with a tartan skirt and black boots appropriate clothing for the day?

Yeah that should be fine, have a great time :smile:
Reply 16
Hi,

I'm considering wearing something quite casual, so probably some black jeans, a jumper and some white trainers should I wear this or keep it more formal (cos I don't want to look weird lol) :/

Yeah that should be fine, have a great time :smile:'
Reply 17
Hi,

I'm considering wearing something quite casual, so probably some black jeans, a jumper and some white trainers should I wear this or keep it more formal (cos I don't want to look weird lol) :/

Thank You for being so helpful :smile:
Hi,

Sorry to just randomly butt in but since you have previously done the programme, did you have to do an online assessment afterwards? If so, how was it because I'm about to do mine and I'm worried I'll do bad. What kind of questions were they?
Reply 19
Hi,

I just attended the programme 2 weeks ago did you attend the one in Manchester? The test wasn't that bad I googled the answers lol, but most of them were quite easy and self explanatory. Also, they were all multiple choice so don't worry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending