The Student Room Group

Psychology PhD eligibility

Given I get enough work experience onto my extensive experience, is a 2:1 in undergraduate course (from India), and a pass in Masters enough for a admission in PhD in any field of psychology in UK?
Are you looking to do a PhD or a DClinPsy/DEdPsy/etc? i.e. are you aiming to do an academic doctoral programme or a professional doctoral programme? In the UK they are wholly separate.

For an academic doctoral programme i.e. a PhD (which does not qualify you to work as a professional psychologist), getting admitted to the programme is only half the process and the other half is getting funding for it. With a 2:1 at undergrad and a pass at a masters I suspect you would not realistically be a competitive applicant for funding (although you may be admitted to a self-funded PhD at some unis...whether that is worth it is another matter).

For professional doctorates you need a BPS accredited degree conferring the graduate basis for chartered membership (GBC). They are extremely competitive and I gather many applicants will have years of relevant clinical/professional psychology experience as an assistant psychologist or in similar roles, and often have additional masters degrees and/or a PhD. I suspect stronger academic performance is better for that as well but am not as familiar with the specific expectations.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest