The Student Room Group

Do I have to do a masters in psychology???

Hello,

I’m wondering if I have to do a masters in Psychology if I want to get onto the doctorate or not? What are the success rates of those who are able to go from BSc to doctorate?
Reply 1
Original post by laratas
Hello,

I’m wondering if I have to do a masters in Psychology if I want to get onto the doctorate or not? What are the success rates of those who are able to go from BSc to doctorate?

No, you dont as previously articulated. For your second question, you will have to look for the numbers and profiles on the clearing site for the course https://www.clearing-house.org.uk/about-us/number-places

Greg
Original post by laratas
Hello,

Hey @laratas

I'm currently doing a PhD in Psychology so hopefully can offer some related insight! I think it will depend on the specific programme you're applying for, but not all doctorate programmes require a master's. I think normally, one of the key components for your application would be research experience (which a master's can definitely help you gain), so if you've done a lot of relevant work or research experience alongside your undergraduate degree or between your undergrad & applying for a doctorate then you might be okay!

The only thing I would say is that doctorate programmes tend to be quite competitive and since most people probably would have a master's, you would need to stand out aside from that if you didn't. I also do know someone who applied for a doctorate programme at their university straight from undergrad and was rejected due to lack of work/research experience and was then recommended to do a master's and apply after; however, I would say there's no harm in applying!

Best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Kent
Hey @laratas

I'm currently doing a PhD in Psychology so hopefully can offer some related insight! I think it will depend on the specific programme you're applying for, but not all doctorate programmes require a master's. I think normally, one of the key components for your application would be research experience (which a master's can definitely help you gain), so if you've done a lot of relevant work or research experience alongside your undergraduate degree or between your undergrad & applying for a doctorate then you might be okay!

The only thing I would say is that doctorate programmes tend to be quite competitive and since most people probably would have a master's, you would need to stand out aside from that if you didn't. I also do know someone who applied for a doctorate programme at their university straight from undergrad and was rejected due to lack of work/research experience and was then recommended to do a master's and apply after; however, I would say there's no harm in applying!

Best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)

Thank you for your advice🤓
Reply 4
Original post by greg tony
No, you dont as previously articulated. For your second question, you will have to look for the numbers and profiles on the clearing site for the course https://www.clearing-house.org.uk/about-us/number-places

Greg

Thanks for the advice 🙂
Reply 5
Original post by laratas
Hello,

For a few you don’t need a masters such as the doctorate in clinical psychology.
However it is important to gain experience in psychology to be able to get onto these kind of courses in the future as they are often very competitive.
Hello,

I think it is best to do a master's and then a doctorate, considering that many countries require postgraduate education to receive a license to practice psychology (as a career). However, it honestly depends on what you want to do career-wise. For instance, a lot of places merely require a master's or simply a bachelor's in psychology for a school counselling job.

Hope this helps!! :h::h:

All the best,
Dana Kafoud
4th-year BSc (Hons) Criminal Psychology student

Quick Reply

Latest