The Student Room Group

Put off applying to vac schemes cause I keep getting rejected from open days?

I have applied to many open days incl Clifford Chance, Norton rose etc but I keep getting rejected :/ I mean if I can’t even get an open day will I stand a chance? They do say on every email there is limited spaces and thousands of applications, has anyone got any experience of this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As long as you have strong A level grades and are working at a minimum of 2.1 then you should just be applying anyway.

Maybe go down a tier too.
Reply 2
Original post by Rover5
As long as you have strong A level grades and are working at a minimum of 2.1 then you should just be applying anyway.

Maybe go down a tier too.

Wdym a tier? And I have a*aa and 2:1 throughout my degree.. I don’t really know why I keep getting rejected
Looking at your previous post history where you have shown an inept for law and what a city law job requires, it is not really a surprise that you have been rejected for open days. Especially when I remember you were asking for advice about the HSF open day and instead of taking advice you were attacking other forum members.

Considering you claim to have good grades (A*AA and 2:1) then there is definitely something wrong with your application forum. This isn’t surprising considering the way you conduct yourself on TSR. You need to ensure you are answering the question directly and with enough personality that will differentiate you from other applicants. Also you should ensure your grammar and spelling is faultless, which goes without saying.
Reply 4
Original post by thepaperhero
Looking at your previous post history where you have shown an inept for law and what a city law job requires, it is not really a surprise that you have been rejected for open days. Especially when I remember you were asking for advice about the HSF open day and instead of taking advice you were attacking other forum members.

Considering you claim to have good grades (A*AA and 2:1) then there is definitely something wrong with your application forum. This isn’t surprising considering the way you conduct yourself on TSR. You need to ensure you are answering the question directly and with enough personality that will differentiate you from other applicants. Also you should ensure your grammar and spelling is faultless, which goes without saying.

Actually, I asked a question when I began my research because asking help from your peers is perfectly normal. I got attacked by a few sad, insecure people (some of them who have been stalking my page ever since) and I responded to tell them to get a life. How is telling someone they're lazy and a 'psychopath' okay but me telling someone to mind their business attacking someone? Please don't call the kettle black. I'm not sure why you people are so bothered about other people's applications. I know a lot about law, you don't know anything about me or my application so I'm not sure why you try and bring me down every post I do. All it shows is that you're quite an insecure person, because secure and confident people don't put down people they don't know. Have a nice day and I hope you get a job with your poor interpersonal skills and lack of respect for your peers.
Reply 5
The obsession you have with me is alarming, and it makes me feel very sorry for you. I am sorry you are unhappy in your own life, but there's no need to take it out on me. People who come online, the TSR of all places, to put down their peers who all have their own stuff going on, are unhappy and insecure people. I hope I am never in your position and I hope you get a better hobby than harassing someone you don't even know on TSR.
Reply 6

What advice did people give me except 'don't apply you're too inept'? And actually, I went to my law fair and I explained my issue and a S&S trainee explained to me that most people get rejected for open days, especially the magic circle because they have over 5000+ applicants, and that it's perfectly normal. Nice try though. You really won't get anywhere being a nasty, jealous person and I hope life teaches you that soon.
Reply 7
The fact you think being on TSR 24/7 and harrassing people because you’re insecure in your own applications is mature is hilarious.
Original post by xx1t35
What advice did people give me except 'don't apply you're too inept'? And actually, I went to my law fair and I explained my issue and a S&S trainee explained to me that most people get rejected for open days, especially the magic circle because they have over 5000+ applicants, and that it's perfectly normal. Nice try though. You really won't get anywhere being a nasty, jealous person and I hope life teaches you that soon.

Most people do not get rejected from an open day. In fact, if you write a half decent application you will get accepted. CC claim to get a couple hundred applicants for each open day but if you write a half decent application you will be fine (this is from experience). You have obviously failed to do so. I am clearly jealous despite the fact I have been on a CC open day you have unfortunately been able to secure a place on. You need address problems in your application form, which other members have highlighted for you!
Reply 9
Right. I knew responding to you would not get anywhere into your thick skull. You have put yourself forward on a public forum, where anyone is allowed to respond to your queries. It just so happens that some people on this forum are qualified and experienced in the area of law you wish to embark on a career in. So people are just trying to help. I have been following your posts, whether you consider that ‘stalking’ I frankly don’t give two sugars. You may know about law but you clearly have a limited knowledge about law careers. Thank you very much for your judgment on my interpersonal skills and I will contribute to have a nice day. :smile:

Do you really think saying ‘getting into your thick skull’ is an appropriate way to talk to someone you don’t know? That’s why I am commenting on your interpersonal skills. I mean seriously, only troubled and unhappy people lash out at people like that. Clearly, I’m not stupid. But thanks so much for wasting your time.
Reply 10
Also, you did not give advice. You attacked me. The person who commented before you, actually gave helpful advice. Now read your reply. See the difference? Unnecessarily rude and angry for no reason. That just makes you look unhappy to me. Sorry!
Reply 11
Most people do not get rejected from an open day. In fact, if you write a half decent application you will get accepted. CC claim to get a couple hundred applicants for each open day but if you write a half decent application you will be fine (this is from experience). You have obviously failed to do so. I am clearly jealous despite the fact I have been on a CC open day you have unfortunately been able to secure a place on. You need address problems in your application form, which other members have highlighted for you!

Well that’s funny because I have been told that open days have nearly double the amount of applications that vac schemes do! And yes, I understand that I need to address the problems in my application- which is why I made the post. I want tips from my peers. And some people on this post have been very helpful. You, however, have called me thick and inept for a post I made two months ago. If you want to lead a life where you attack strangers like that, then go ahead. But it will only reflect badly on you. Not me. Again, I know I failed with open days- I asked for advice on what people did who were successful. Telling me I’m inept is not giving me advice, and if you’re not here to give me advice - why the heck are you here? It’s Friday night- go do something fun! Not putting down random people on TSR. You may not be jealous but your attacks and digs are a serious sign of insecurity.
Reply 12
Even though you come across extremely immature and rude, people here have tried to help you and instead of accepting their help you attack them. If you don’t listen you will get nowhere. :confused:

Who was I rude to? The only person I have been slightly rude to is you and J Papi who called me inept, thick and immature and crazy first. Bit hypocritical if you ask me but okay! 😝 if you don’t realise that you attacked me first, seems like you may have some self reflection to do.
Reply 13
**** me, you PM me asking for advice and then reply to me like this on here?? To think I was going to give you the time of day?

If you think the message I just posted is worse than the one you initially posted on this thread you’re out of your mind. You seriously need to read your answers, you called me inept and thick? and now you’re playing the victim and acting like you’re giving me advice? You have been nothing but rude all day. I don’t want your time of day. You clearly have no advice so please leave me alone and stop with the petty attacks. Don’t call people online thick and inept without any credentials to do so. And definitely do not play the victim when I reply to the tone that YOU set.
Reply 14
My credentials compared to yours:

Me: Accepted onto a Clifford Chance Open Day
You: Rejected and seeking advice on how to get onto one

Please, listen to the advice people are offering to you.

Please, listen to your replies. Are you giving me advice? No. So why would I listen to you? I have listened to the two people who actually gave me advice. You did not give me advice, all you did was insult me, so please stop acting tough. You didn’t give me advice, you insulted me. God knows why you keep deluding yourself that you’re giving me advice, but I don’t think ‘get that into your thick skull’ really fits the brief.
Reply 15
I mentioned stepping down a tier but you didn't understand what this meant. I can only assume you do not understand that there are different tiers of firms and as you are not having success at Magic Circle firms perhaps lower your sights to a Silver Circle firm.

Which uni are you at?
Reply 16
Original post by AspireInspire
I'm not gonna lie whilst it sounds like @thepaperhero has some sort of bone to pick with you, what they are saying does make sense. If you meet the minimum grade requirements, it comes down to the quality of your written application form - get your uni careers adviser to check it through with you or something like that so you get feedback on what you're writing.

That being said, if the extent of one's credentials extends only so far as getting accepted on a CC open day (without mention of vac scheme or TC success), I wouldn't exactly be bragging that...

Thank you for actual helpful advice. I agree that something is bad with my application and will get someone to look over it. I wasn’t actually bragging about my academic credentials, but I did get general feedback and they said the number 1 thing they look out for is academic qualifications, so I was wondering if a 2:1/a*aa was actually low in comparison to other people. Thanks for the reply!
Reply 17
Original post by Rover5
I mentioned stepping down a tier but you didn't understand what this meant. I can only assume you do not understand that there are different tiers of firms and as you are not having success at Magic Circle firms perhaps lower your sights to a Silver Circle firm.

Which uni are you at?

I thought you meant stepping down a tier as in my grades. I was confused. I understood the different levels of the firms but I didn’t make that connection. I don’t really want to disclose my university but it is a high Russel group! And I’m not planning on applying to any magic circle firms for VS :smile:
Reply 18
I wasn't suggesting that you were bragging about your academic credentials, and unless your 2:1 is particularly high (67+) then I wouldn't rely on your academics alone. Many applicants nowadays have a 1st with A*AA (or even a 1st with A*A*A) so you need to show you're better than them on the written form and in interview.

For context, I got AAA and a low 2.1 from a non RG uni, and I was offered a TC at a top US firm. I start next September once I finish the LPC.

Wow.. congrats! That’s good that they don’t solely rely on academics because my 2:1 is pretty average ( I got 65 in first year and 64 in second, and although I am aiming to get a bit higher I think my final grade will only be around 66) so it’s nice to see that you can get far w/o that. Can I ask what sort of work experience you had? Or was it the application answers you made that made you stand out?
Reply 19
5 legal work experience placements, only 2 were recent though.

I'm very much of the opinion that legal work experience placements aren't that important (some like to see a variety), but are very helpful to talk about during interviews.

Your written application needs to be 100% free from errors, and also answer the question exactly - do not answer the question you want to be asked, but the one you are being asked. You also need some individuality/flair in your answers so you stand out; show eloquence in writing.

Thank you! When you say legal work placements, do you mean shadowing a lawyer etc not formal vac schemes etc? I find it hard to get legal experience when I don’t know anyone who is in the legal sector, but I am thinking of emailing a few high street firms..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending