The Student Room Group

Year 11 - Half term

I've just started my first half term of year 11 and I was wondering how much revision I should do? My mocks are in March and I'm wondering if I should do anything now.
Reply 1
It depends how much you think you should improve till then. Don’t do too much though! You don’t want to be burnt out. Do some but don’t overdo it!
start off slowly! try seneca courses atm, then work up slowly reaching towards march. don't go too intense this early
Reply 3
Original post by SedentarySmartie
I've just started my first half term of year 11 and I was wondering how much revision I should do? My mocks are in March and I'm wondering if I should do anything now.

Actually the best thing to do is to list all your subjects and start making your revision timetable. Then you work out what your most effective way of revising actually is. Then you start revising all your subjects and make sure your notes are very good.
Original post by SedentarySmartie

Its half term for me as well. However my mocks are in january and I haven't done a single bit of revision. That being said I am predicted the highest grades in my school (9s and 8s) so for me I don't have to revise as much as people who get lower grades. I remember quite a lot of content without revising so I'll probably revise in the Christmas holidays. However, if you're not doing so well or you want to do better, you can start revising now but you'll probably forget it by the time of your exams so you'll need to continually revise it. It's really up to you. Everyone is different. In my year 10 mocks i revised literally the day before and got all 9s in the 3 sciences, but with these mocks I want to do better. If i revise now, i'll forget it and need to re-revise so i just wasted my time but for others they may need to start revising now if they have to improve a lot or not comfortable with their current knowledge.
I’m in year 11 As well and It’s half term for me, however I have been revising at least 3 hours a day as my mocks start the day I get back, I think we have them much earlier than most schools, I wouldn’t recommend providing too much of your mocks are in March, just rest for now and do any homework you have and you will be fine as you don’t want to burn out :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AnonymousGuest
Its half term for me as well. However my mocks are in january and I haven't done a single bit of revision. That being said I am predicted the highest grades in my school (9s and 8s) so for me I don't have to revise as much as people who get lower grades. I remember quite a lot of content without revising so I'll probably revise in the Christmas holidays. However, if you're not doing so well or you want to do better, you can start revising now but you'll probably forget it by the time of your exams so you'll need to continually revise it. It's really up to you. Everyone is different. In my year 10 mocks i revised literally the day before and got all 9s in the 3 sciences, but with these mocks I want to do better. If i revise now, i'll forget it and need to re-revise so i just wasted my time but for others they may need to start revising now if they have to improve a lot or not comfortable with their current knowledge.

Maybe you have been moderately lucky so far! Definitely when you get into A levels this method will not work. You would have to revise and re-revise as a matter of routine because there would be far more to remember and understand.
Original post by mgi
Maybe you have been moderately lucky so far! Definitely when you get into A levels this method will not work. You would have to revise and re-revise as a matter of routine because there would be far more to remember and understand.

Yeah I understand that, the only reason I did that was because they were Year 10 mocks but for the real GCSEs and obviously A levels which are harder and more important I would revise a lot.
Reply 8
Yeah I understand that, the only reason I did that was because they were Year 10 mocks but for the real GCSEs and obviously A levels which are harder and more important I would revise a lot.

And if i were your teacher i would argue that you are in fact underachieving compared to your actual ability! Why are you not a straight 9 student? Could it be that if you revised properly and thoroughly that you would become a really quite outstanding student? and then what will teachers write on your reports and references ?
I've overachieved my should gets by quite a lot. My should gets based on primary school were 2×8, 4×7 and 3×6. Now based on first term Year 11 my predicted are all 8s ands 9s. I have made the most progress and my teachers call me diligent and compare me to 'a machine' in awe of my hard work. I assure I would do the necessary work so that my predicted after my mocks are mostly 9s. No teachers can guarantee that you'll get a 9 in everything, my school also do predicted in a manner that doesn't reflect what you should actually get but they make it lower on purpose so that you can do better to achieve the highest. This is what our teachers told us.
Reply 10
I've overachieved my should gets by quite a lot. My should gets based on primary school were 2×8, 4×7 and 3×6. Now based on first term Year 11 my predicted are all 8s ands 9s. I have made the most progress and my teachers call me diligent and compare me to 'a machine' in awe of my hard work. I assure I would do the necessary work so that my predicted after my mocks are mostly 9s. No teachers can guarantee that you'll get a 9 in everything, my school also do predicted in a manner that doesn't reflect what you should actually get but they make it lower on purpose so that you can do better to achieve the highest. This is what our teachers told us.

No. They do it because if they predict you a 6, say, then they look silly if you work hard and get a 9! You are not overachieved until you are clearly a 9 in every subject! Tjey just didnt know what you were capable of before bit now when they are clearer they just change your target grades! That's how it works until you are pretty much 100% in every exam or you are consistently getting 9's every where
Original post by mgi
No. They do it because if they predict you a 6, say, then they look silly if you work hard and get a 9! You are not overachieved until you are clearly a 9 in every subject! Tjey just didnt know what you were capable of before bit now when they are clearer they just change your target grades! That's how it works until you are pretty much 100% in every exam or you are consistently getting 9's every where

I didn't say i'm overachieved. I just said I overachieved my should get grades which are different to predicted grades. As in I surpassed my should get expecations which indicate i've progressed and achieved higher than expected, thus I overachieved in this sense. As in each of those subjects I am achieving higher than my should get expectations. Based on those, they predict me higher. The further I go in the year, if i keep getting higher grades, the higher they will keep predicting me and I can only do that with revision which I will do. So far this year, i've progressed by 3 grades in English from a 6 last year to a 9 this year. I consistently get a 9 in all my English essays this year and I hope to do this with all my subjects. No one can be a 9 in every subject until they learn all the content. For example, my computing teacher says I should get a 9 but she predicted me and other high achievers in my class an 8 because we've only covered one paper. We still have to learn another whole paper and depending on what I get on assessments on this, she can make a more suitable prediction. The same thing applies with other subjects.
Reply 12
I didn't say i'm overachieved. I just said I overachieved my should get grades which are different to predicted grades. As in I surpassed my should get expecations which indicate i've progressed and achieved higher than expected, thus I overachieved in this sense. As in each of those subjects I am achieving higher than my should get expectations. Based on those, they predict me higher. The further I go in the year, if i keep getting higher grades, the higher they will keep predicting me and I can only do that with revision which I will do. So far this year, i've progressed by 3 grades in English from a 6 last year to a 9 this year. I consistently get a 9 in all my English essays this year and I hope to do this with all my subjects. No one can be a 9 in every subject until they learn all the content. For example, my computing teacher says I should get a 9 but she predicted me and other high achievers in my class an 8 because we've only covered one paper. We still have to learn another whole paper and depending on what I get on assessments on this, she can make a more suitable prediction. The same thing applies with other subjects.

Yes. The point i am really making is that, in one sense, it does not matter at all what your teachers' predicted grades are really. What actually matters is thst you do everything that you can to become a truly outstanding student! Why? because yoy owe it to yourself!
Original post by mgi
Yes. The point i am really making is that, in one sense, it does not matter at all what your teachers' predicted grades are really. What actually matters is thst you do everything that you can to become a truly outstanding student! Why? because yoy owe it to yourself!

That is true but if you have higher predicted grades, it would give you an advantage in applications such as sixth form ones.
Reply 14
That is true but if you have higher predicted grades, it would give you an advantage in applications such as sixth form ones.

yes agreed, but to be true to yourself and your potential is key! much more important in the longterm!

Quick Reply

Latest