The Student Room Group

what to drop: physics or biology?

im taking four a levels and my plan was to take maths chemistry physics and biology and drop one later as i couldnt decide on three. I still cant decide as i have decided in the future i either want to do engineering or medicine and if i do engineering i will need to drop biology and if i do medicine i will need to drop physics. Has anyone been ina similar position or just have any advice?
Reply 1
You don’t technically need to do Biology for Medicine (however it would be very useful to). Physics can be quite useful for both and Physics is required for engineering, even if you then go into medical/chemical engineering which could be an option considering you like both medicine and engineering. Most unis I’ve seen only require chemistry and two other sciences for medicine but check up on it.
Reply 2
That’s a tough decision, I guess you should start with really thinking about engineering vs medicine
They’re extremely different but both are challenging and good careers. Ask yourself: do you really want to potentially spend 10 years training to be a doctor? If that puts you off medicine, maybe you should drop biology
Whats making you think about both options? If there’s one you really enjoy and one that you’re considering ‘because it sounds impressive/gets a lot of money/ my family want me to do it’, then that’s probably not for you
Reply 3
Original post by imo__o
You don’t technically need to do Biology for Medicine (however it would be very useful to). Physics can be quite useful for both and Physics is required for engineering, even if you then go into medical/chemical engineering which could be an option considering you like both medicine and engineering. Most unis I’ve seen only require chemistry and two other sciences for medicine but check up on it.

thanks for the reply, when I spoke to the careers advisor they told me you need biology though i havent actually checked on any uni's webpages. With medicine i am more interested because of the fulfilment of helping people as i want to be a doctor so medical engineering doesnt really interest me. And im partially reluctant to go into engineering because i currently dislike my physics lessons which is probably because i dont really get on with anyone rather than the actual subject matter, or maybe it is the subject matter idk. But i will check out the uni requirements so thanks for the advice
Reply 4
Original post by kannmnn
That’s a tough decision, I guess you should start with really thinking about engineering vs medicine
They’re extremely different but both are challenging and good careers. Ask yourself: do you really want to potentially spend 10 years training to be a doctor? If that puts you off medicine, maybe you should drop biology
Whats making you think about both options? If there’s one you really enjoy and one that you’re considering ‘because it sounds impressive/gets a lot of money/ my family want me to do it’, then that’s probably not for you

to be honest i actually really like studying so the 10 years of training doesn't phase me at all. In a way im attracted to being a doctor because of the nobility of it but also because i think helping others would give me a sense of fulfilment, its not the actual subject matter of medicine i am attracted to. Im kind of attracted to both of them for the money and the prestige so that doesnt really favour one or the other haha
Reply 5
Original post by lil squid
thanks for the reply, when I spoke to the careers advisor they told me you need biology though i havent actually checked on any uni's webpages. With medicine i am more interested because of the fulfilment of helping people as i want to be a doctor so medical engineering doesnt really interest me. And im partially reluctant to go into engineering because i currently dislike my physics lessons which is probably because i dont really get on with anyone rather than the actual subject matter, or maybe it is the subject matter idk. But i will check out the uni requirements so thanks for the advice

It sounds like you want to do Medicine more from your replies. You can always do medicine and then do a masters/another degree in engineering or physics. Most doctors have multiple qualifications like multiple masters and PhDs. Also, from people I know who do both Biology and Physics, they all said they find Biology far easier to get a good grade in than Physics.
im taking four a levels and my plan was to take maths chemistry physics and biology and drop one later as i couldnt decide on three. I still cant decide as i have decided in the future i either want to do engineering or medicine and if i do engineering i will need to drop biology and if i do medicine i will need to drop physics. Has anyone been ina similar position or just have any advice?

OMG, im thinking of doing all the sciences and maths and then dropping one too!!
Reply 7
to be honest i actually really like studying so the 10 years of training doesn't phase me at all. In a way im attracted to being a doctor because of the nobility of it but also because i think helping others would give me a sense of fulfilment, its not the actual subject matter of medicine i am attracted to. Im kind of attracted to both of them for the money and the prestige so that doesnt really favour one or the other haha

Hmm then idk, I guess you just have to think about what you’d prefer. That’s not really helpful I know 😂 but I’m tryna decide what I wanna do myself so yeah good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by kannmnn
Hmm then idk, I guess you just have to think about what you’d prefer. That’s not really helpful I know 😂 but I’m tryna decide what I wanna do myself so yeah good luck!

haha realistically i guess it comes down to what I prefer for sure i think im still figuring that out though. thankyou for taking the time out of ur day to help me
Reply 9
Original post by studyhelp!!!
OMG, im thinking of doing all the sciences and maths and then dropping one too!!

its a solid plan except when you are super indecisive like me haha. If you want to ask me any questions about it let me know
its a solid plan except when you are super indecisive like me haha. If you want to ask me any questions about it let me know

thanks, I have to make my a-level choices in January, i'll keep that in mind

Quick Reply

Latest