The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language RESIT Paper 1 4th November 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OldConfused
I will concur that I did the same..
Orwell basically was forced into a position to act and due to the pressure from the crowd did not want to dent his ego even if it went against his judgement.. Bloody hard question to be honest and when I looked over what I wrote at the end of the exam I did have to make a fair few adjustments and even then I thought I did a poor job of compiling what I wanted to say.

My issue is I have the hand writing standard of a 4 year old doctor and my brain is about two lines ahead of my hand!!!.

For Question 5 paper one I also wrote about a mountain scene, the picture with the snow globe did absolutely nothing for me in regards to viable ideas. In my case I wrote about K2 in the Karakoram mountain range,.

Paper one
Ref the Skiers and if Zoe acted quickly enough I basically just went with the premise that we was not aware of her experience level from the text and due to the line that, "she tried to remember something about putting her arms out" (or words to that affect) It showed someone that only reacted when it was blatantly obvious it was all going wrong and she did not understand the subtle warning signs that happened previously ref her having to take the "Fall line" when the snow moved. She reacted I believe in time but her lack of experience was what caused here to be Avalanched, she did not understand what was happening prior to that.

I half expect the poor soul that has to mark my diatribe to simply put "Who is this clown and why does his writing resemble ancient Egyptian Algerbra"

If I managed a grade 4 I will be very surprised to be honest,...

I think your answers sound good! Don’t doubt yourself! I answered similar to the paper 1 question about do you agree or disagree. I wrote something about Zoe was unaware there was an avalanche coming so could not have ignored the warning signs as she didn’t know what was about to happen. I remember there was a quote about her thinking the start of it looked beautiful, so I expanded on that.

I contacted my tutor Monday evening to clear up any confusion I had about paper one Q5. Section B did not need to be linked to section A, in other words we didn’t need to write about snow/mountains to get marks! Phew!!
Original post by Oldie100
Q2 I wrote about the language effects. The writer used phrases and words to make the crowd view him as a performer - actor, magic tricks or whatever it said! I rambled on a bit.
I found question 4 the hardest.

You were not supposed to write about language.....
Original post by LUPINRED
You were not supposed to write about language.....

I realised I typed the wrong question number in my post! Whatever the question number was about language... it was that! Q3 I think.
I realised I typed the wrong question number in my post! Whatever the question number was about language... it was that! Q3 I think.

Yeah it’s question 3.What did you say?
I based my answer on Mr Bruff saying the question was looking for the effect the writer was trying to create with language. I saw ‘actor, puppet, conjuring magic tricks’ etc and wrote about the effect was the crowd saw him as a performer, I elaborated a lot about that.
If it’s wrong well I’ve done my best!!! I’ve got to put it out my mind now! I will say it feels strange not to be revising English the last two evenings!
I based my answer on Mr Bruff saying the question was looking for the effect the writer was trying to create with language. I saw ‘actor, puppet, conjuring magic tricks’ etc and wrote about the effect was the crowd saw him as a performer, I elaborated a lot about that.
If it’s wrong well I’ve done my best!!! I’ve got to put it out my mind now! I will say it feels strange not to be revising English the last two evenings!

I used the noun puppet to say that he was manipulated by the crowd like a puppeteer controlling a puppet.
Yeah sounds good 👍🏻
Was there two description or one story and description?
Original post by Naeem2021
Was there two description or one story and description?

Story using the picture as reference of a magical place (Child holding snow globe) or describe a beautiful place
I think your answers sound good! Don’t doubt yourself! I answered similar to the paper 1 question about do you agree or disagree. I wrote something about Zoe was unaware there was an avalanche coming so could not have ignored the warning signs as she didn’t know what was about to happen. I remember there was a quote about her thinking the start of it looked beautiful, so I expanded on that.

I contacted my tutor Monday evening to clear up any confusion I had about paper one Q5. Section B did not need to be linked to section A, in other words we didn’t need to write about snow/mountains to get marks! Phew!!

Yeah fingers crossed I get something remotely average as a grade, luckily I have nothing riding on the outcome either way.
Original post by Evil Homer

Hey guys

With the big exams just a few days away I thought I would set up a thread for everyone to get together and do some last minute revision and then come back and chat about how it went after!

Date: Monday 4th November

AM/PM:AM

Length: 1hr 45min

Specification:https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/specifications/AQA-8700-SP-2015.PDF

Other Resources:

N/A

Good luck everyone you got this!

Original post by Ec_edward
I think i messed up question 5 because i only wrote about the magical part but didnt describe what was in the picture which was the girl holding a globe. Am i gonna lose a lot of marks because of that?

Was it two description or one story and description because i think i describe it in the story on which i did read properly (picture). am i still going to get marks
Orwell basically was forced into a position to act and due to the pressure from the crowd did not want to dent his ego even if it went against his judgement.. Bloody hard question to be honest and when I looked over what I wrote at the end of the exam I did have to make a fair few adjustments and even then I thought I did a poor job of compiling what I wanted to say.

My issue is I have the hand writing standard of a 4 year old doctor and my brain is about two lines ahead of my hand!!!.

For Question 5 paper one I also wrote about a mountain scene, the picture with the snow globe did absolutely nothing for me in regards to viable ideas. In my case I wrote about K2 in the Karakoram mountain range,.

Paper one
Ref the Skiers and if Zoe acted quickly enough I basically just went with the premise that we was not aware of her experience level from the text and due to the line that, "she tried to remember something about putting her arms out" (or words to that affect) It showed someone that only reacted when it was blatantly obvious it was all going wrong and she did not understand the subtle warning signs that happened previously ref her having to take the "Fall line" when the snow moved. She reacted I believe in time but her lack of experience was what caused here to be Avalanched, she did not understand what was happening prior to that.

I half expect the poor soul that has to mark my diatribe to simply put "Who is this clown and why does his writing resemble ancient Egyptian Algerbra"

You’ll get a strong pass if not most likely a 5. If you added all this description here i wonder how you did in the exam. Wow. The pour soul should also be amazed hopefully mate. We all need that goddamn 4 to put an end to this English Language Bulls*it.
Original post by Hamza_47
You’ll get a strong pass if not most likely a 5. If you added all this description here i wonder how you did in the exam. Wow. The pour soul should also be amazed hopefully mate. We all need that goddamn 4 to put an end to this English Language Bulls*it.

I love the confidence you have but my downfall has always been my print quality, if the exam was on a laptop I would have zero worries but when putting pen to paper it is a childish scribbling, I have had to write in block capitals for what seems like forever. I will genuinely be very interested in how they mark my exam when weighing everything up..

regards
Original post by _debt
I'm also resitting English Language tomorrow- please do NOT stress, we CAN do this!
There will be new grade boundaries but chances are they either stay at the same level or maybe decrease or increase by some marks.
Teachers at my school said that students that took the summer english exam and are resitting have solid chances of passing if revision is put in.
What i recommend is tackle all the questions in the exam, do NOT spend A LOT of time on the first 3 questions. Make sure you understand what each question is asking for.

Paper 1:
Q1) List 4 things, 4 marks, spend 5 minutes

Q2) Language question. (Investigate a writer's use of words, language featured and sentence forms. What is the desired effect the writer is trying to achieve in the extract? Is it boredom, energy, danger, threat etc? Then elaborate upon that.) 8 marks, 10 minutes.

Q3) Structure question. (Simply write about the start, middle and end you will get around 6/8 or more).

Q4) Evaluation question. 20 marks, 25 minutes.
It is about an extract not the whole source. Write about your own point of view, and avaluate how the writer has created them in the text. You can talk about language, structure, tone etc.

Q5) Creative or descriptive writing, 40 marks, 45 minutes.
The best suggestion i can give you which my teacher recommended is to create small plans on different genres e.g. spooky setting, thriller, birthday party etc. When you get to Q5 you might be able to adapt one of your plans to a story.

REMEMBER 10 minutes reading time at the start and leave time to go over your work to male any amendments etc. Time management is crucial.
Also learn synonyms!!

You can smash it!!

what was the questions based on
what was the title of insert
can please someone help me that what was in the exam
what was question 5 please please please
Original post by Hamza_47

Wouldn't you always go for the story in question 5?

Paper one

If I managed a grade 4 I will be very surprised to be honest,...

can you plaease tell me what was in the language paper 1 please please please pleASE
Original post by shahwaiz
can you plaease tell me what was in the language paper 1 please please please pleASE

Do you mean what our paper based on? If so it was about a couple on a skying holiday, the source ended with a character being caught in an avalanche.

Q5 we were given a picture of a child holding a snow globe with the option of write a story based on this picture OR write a description of a beautiful place.
How many marks do you think we’ll need to pass?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending