The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into vetmed?

Hi I’m currently in year 12 and was thinking about applying to vetmed later this year. I’m just worried that my work experience isn’t varied enough and that I won’t get a place due to how competitive the course is. I read somewhere that the acceptance rate across all the unis are 11% which seems impossible to even get a place.

My work experience so far is:
8 weeks small animal rescue
2 weeks dairy farm
1 week poultry farm
2 weeks small animal practice
3 weeks equine
3 weeks kennels

Unfortunately living in Birmingham I have struggled to find any lambing placements or abattoirs less than an hour away but can’t find any, will this cost me an offer?

My GCSE’s I got were:
4 grade 9s (A**)
5 grade 8’s (A*)
And 2 grade 7’s (A)

For a levels I’m studying biology chemistry and maths and currently getting/ predicted all A’s.

Also I was thinking about applying to the new harper Adams course just because it is closer to my home, do you think the acceptance rate will be lower due to it being a new vet school?
Reply 1
Hi there,
I don't think you have to worry too much, you've got lots of work experience. The reality is it's far more important to know what you learnt from the experience as opposed to what you did.
Im currently applying for medicine and I can assure you many universities are not exactly interested in the amount of work experience but more what you gained from it.

Regarding your second question, I'm not exactly sure about new veterinary medicine courses, however, some medicine courses which have started recently have infact been slightly less competitive. Of course I can't guarantee that Harper Adams course will follow the same pattern.

Hope that helps!
That is plenty of work experience- although you need to look at the dates as RVC only count hours done in the 18 months before your application in October.
Lambing is good if you can get it but I certainly wouldn't worry about the abattoir as lots of applicants don't get that
Original post by ReadingMum
That is plenty of work experience- although you need to look at the dates as RVC only count hours done in the 18 months before your application in October.
Lambing is good if you can get it but I certainly wouldn't worry about the abattoir as lots of applicants don't get that

I started my work experience in june last year luckily so should be alright I hope.
Original post by OsmanM15
Hi there,
I don't think you have to worry too much, you've got lots of work experience. The reality is it's far more important to know what you learnt from the experience as opposed to what you did.
Im currently applying for medicine and I can assure you many universities are not exactly interested in the amount of work experience but more what you gained from it.

Regarding your second question, I'm not exactly sure about new veterinary medicine courses, however, some medicine courses which have started recently have infact been slightly less competitive. Of course I can't guarantee that Harper Adams course will follow the same pattern.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for replying so fast😁
That was very helpful, I hope you do well getting into medicine
I think your application sounds pretty strong in fairness
Lambing is desirable but your circumstances would certainly be taken into account

If you have learnt the right things from your work experience then personal statement and interview will be a breeze and you're in with a reasonable chance.

Don't forget vet is a popular course, but many applicants will have 0 chance of getting in so this 11% stat is actually a lot higher once non-competitive applicants are removed :smile:
Original post by VMD100
I think your application sounds pretty strong in fairness
Lambing is desirable but your circumstances would certainly be taken into account

If you have learnt the right things from your work experience then personal statement and interview will be a breeze and you're in with a reasonable chance.

Don't forget vet is a popular course, but many applicants will have 0 chance of getting in so this 11% stat is actually a lot higher once non-competitive applicants are removed :smile:

Thank you so much, I’ve been so stressed over this lately lol. I just really want to be a vet and make sure that I give myself the best chances :smile:
Original post by Ayesha Nahoor
Thank you so much, I’ve been so stressed over this lately lol. I just really want to be a vet and make sure that I give myself the best chances :smile:

Just think about what makes a good vet, and find examples of how you show those qualities
If you're cut out to be a vet you'll be able to think of a handful of examples - put them in the PS and mention them at interview and its a done deal :biggrin:
Reply 8
Here's a bit of a confidence boost for you:

I'm 22, was a slacker at school and a bit of a 'rebel'! Got Bs at GCSEs, sat A Level maths and got an E because I just couldn't be bothered with sixth form. Started a midwifery degree, but decided I really wanted to pursue veterinary (which I'd considered for a few years prior to this) as I finally realised my abilities. Did plenty of work experience (no lambing though and less than you have), retook 4 GCSEs and I'm now studying maths, chemistry and biology A Levels by myself at home and therefore have no predicted grades.

I have offers from Liverpool and Harper Adams/Keele, and I'm awaiting responses from Surrey and Nottingham.

If I can do it, you definitely can!!
Original post by Ayesha Nahoor
Hi I’m currently in year 12 and was thinking about applying to vetmed later this year. I’m just worried that my work experience isn’t varied enough and that I won’t get a place due to how competitive the course is. I read somewhere that the acceptance rate across all the unis are 11% which seems impossible to even get a place.

My work experience so far is:
8 weeks small animal rescue
2 weeks dairy farm
1 week poultry farm
2 weeks small animal practice
3 weeks equine
3 weeks kennels

Unfortunately living in Birmingham I have struggled to find any lambing placements or abattoirs less than an hour away but can’t find any, will this cost me an offer?

My GCSE’s I got were:
4 grade 9s (A**)
5 grade 8’s (A*)
And 2 grade 7’s (A)

For a levels I’m studying biology chemistry and maths and currently getting/ predicted all A’s.

Also I was thinking about applying to the new harper Adams course just because it is closer to my home, do you think the acceptance rate will be lower due to it being a new vet school?

Hi there! I am currently studying at Keele University and i’m in my 2nd year. I’ve just had a look at the Harper & Keele entry requirements and in terms of your GCSE’s and tour A-level choices and predicted grades, you meet them with flying colors!

On the work experience section, Harper & Keele say that they understand that not all candidates will have equal opportunities for access to work experiences. Therefore, the guidelines for what work experience is asked, is not prescriptive, and they’ll consider all applicants who don’t manage to meet the suggested time spent/experience.

You can read more about the suggested experience aim using this link - http://www.harperkeelevetschool.ac.uk/study/432/veterinary-medicine-and-surgery/
Reply 10
Nottingham has a flexible admission policy, for example. Last year, I applied (I'm an EU student) and never thought I'd get into, but I did in the end. My work experience wasn't varied compared to the other candidates (I had seen 2 small animal practices, a riding school, a cattle farm and a dog training centre), but it doesn't really matter how many places you've been to, but rather what you have learnt from each of them. The Admission team look for candidates who have a passion for vet med and who can uphold the RCVS' standards.

That being said, you have lots of work experience. And even if you didn't, they understand that people have different circumstances and don't discriminate against you for that.

Just be yourself on interview day and try to convey to them how much you really want to be a vet. Show passion, intellectual curiosity and a bit of confidence.

Everything should be fine in the end. Good luck !

Hi,

I'd say you have plenty of work experience! Like others have mentioned earlier, what you have learnt is much more important. If you can get it, lambing experience would help - have you tried looking further afield and asking if they can provide you with accommodation. That's what I done, just had to beg my mum to drop me off and pick my up two weeks later.

I'm a current Liverpool vet student, feel free to message if you have any other questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending