The Student Room Group

Which statistical test to use in Geography NEA?

Hi,

I'm struggling to decide whether to use Spearman's rank or Chi Squared for my mental mapping.

I asked people to rate how 'safe' they felt in a particular area (which was split up into numerous districts) and would compare to the presence of certain ethnic minorities within each district to seek any patterns.
It is possible for me to devise an 'expected' map calculated through census data and other factors so a chi-Squared would lend itself nicely to that - but then again a Spearman's rank talks about seeing whether two variables are correlated (i.e. safety and extent of certain ethnic groups).

So basically which one should I go for? Does it actually matter?
Original post by anonymous_1947
Hi,

I'm struggling to decide whether to use Spearman's rank or Chi Squared for my mental mapping.

I asked people to rate how 'safe' they felt in a particular area (which was split up into numerous districts) and would compare to the presence of certain ethnic minorities within each district to seek any patterns.
It is possible for me to devise an 'expected' map calculated through census data and other factors so a chi-Squared would lend itself nicely to that - but then again a Spearman's rank talks about seeing whether two variables are correlated (i.e. safety and extent of certain ethnic groups).

So basically which one should I go for? Does it actually matter?

I’ve recently done my NEA for Geography. Our teacher told us that including at least one statistical test will get you a good mark on your NEA. If you want to check which statistical test is best, the Royal Geographical Society have a guide to NEAs which provides a good criteria of which statistical tests you should use. I hope this is helpful and I wish you luck with your NEA! 👍😊 here’s the link to the RGS guide - https://www.rgs.org/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?nodeguid=882a6e79-5e28-4667-a753-17d26cec8c19&lang=en-GB
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Charlotte LG
I’ve recently done my NEA for Geography. Our teacher told us that including at least one statistical test will get you a good mark on your NEA. If you want to check which statistical test is best, the Royal Geographical Society have a guide to NEAs which provides a good criteria of which statistical tests you should use. I hope this is helpful and I wish you luck with your NEA! 👍😊 here’s the link to the RGS guide - https://www.rgs.org/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?nodeguid=882a6e79-5e28-4667-a753-17d26cec8c19&lang=en-GB

Thanks for the guide! Really clarified my thinking and I've decided that Chi-squared would be the most palatable option. Appreciate your help!!
Original post by Charlotte LG

Very sorry to disturb you again but I have another question about the NEA. I'm a little confused over how to differentiate the data analysis and conclusions. That is to say I feel as if I'm just repeating what I'm saying in both as I've made an attempt to answer each my sub-question within the analysis itself. What do you think is the main difference between the two?
Sorry for the inconvenience
Original post by anonymous_1947
Very sorry to disturb you again but I have another question about the NEA. I'm a little confused over how to differentiate the data analysis and conclusions. That is to say I feel as if I'm just repeating what I'm saying in both as I've made an attempt to answer each my sub-question within the analysis itself. What do you think is the main difference between the two?
Sorry for the inconvenience

That’s alright! I had the same problem myself. My teacher told me that some people do make some of their conclusions in the area 3 analysis. Apparently in that case, you don’t need to include that in area 4 conclusion. Apparently you need to include factors of your investigation which majorly affected the result. You could always ask your teacher if you are unsure (because I’m not sure whether my information is right 😬). I hope this sort of helps 👍😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending