The Student Room Group

MA LAW v. Graduate LLB

Hi all,

I received offers from Exeter (graduate LLB) and Bristol (MA Law). Both of them are qualifying law degrees, but I was wondering if anybody has some thoughts to share about these two programs, either from experience or knowledge, in order to help me come to a decision.

I am leaning towards the MA because I already have a BA, but I have not fully decided yet.

Thank you.
Original post by mxlibve
Hi all,

I received offers from Exeter (graduate LLB) and Bristol (MA Law). Both of them are qualifying law degrees, but I was wondering if anybody has some thoughts to share about these two programs, either from experience or knowledge, in order to help me come to a decision.

I am leaning towards the MA because I already have a BA, but I have not fully decided yet.

Thank you.

If you already have a BA the quickest way to qualify would be to do a GDL - if you want to work in Law
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
If you already have a BA the quickest way to qualify would be to do a GDL - if you want to work in Law

Yes, it is the quickest way, but I am not concerned with time. I wanted a more in-depth education, which is why I chose not to apply to the GDL.
Original post by mxlibve
Yes, it is the quickest way, but I am not concerned with time. I wanted a more in-depth education, which is why I chose not to apply to the GDL.

Fair enough - hopefully @Catherine1973 will be able to comment later on the accelerated LLB
Original post by mxlibve
Hi all,

Thank you.

Hi there,

My name's Alice and I'm one of the student reps from ULaw. I'm currently studying the MA Law at the Nottingham campus and thought I may chip in, if it is of any help to you!

The MA Law is great if you are looking to qualify in law in the same time frame as the GDL, but value the depth of your education. You will study everything on the GDL but have the opportunity to choose an area of law you are interested in to pursue in more depth through an independent legal research project. You are allocated a tutor who has professional experience in the area to guide you, but also have a lot of autonomy - something I am really pleased about!

I think the MA Law demonstrates a genuine interest and focus in your studies to potential employers, and gives you another string to your bow for interviews.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, or if you have any other questions regarding the MA Law.

Thanks!
Alice
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi there,

My name's Alice and I'm one of the student reps from ULaw. I'm currently studying the MA Law at the Nottingham campus and thought I may chip in, if it is of any help to you!

The MA Law is great if you are looking to qualify in law in the same time frame as the GDL, but value the depth of your education. You will study everything on the GDL but have the opportunity to choose an area of law you are interested in to pursue in more depth through an independent legal research project. You are allocated a tutor who has professional experience in the area to guide you, but also have a lot of autonomy - something I am really pleased about!

I think the MA Law demonstrates a genuine interest and focus in your studies to potential employers, and gives you another string to your bow for interviews.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, or if you have any other questions regarding the MA Law.

Thanks!
Alice

Would that be a lot more workload for you though? Like I know there’s also a research project for GDL students but it seems that the MA Law would be more demanding.
Also I’m just wondering how the graudate LLB(Hons) awarded to GDL students works

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending