The Student Room Group

A-Level AQA Maths Study Chat :)

How is everyone feeling about this course? Have you done mocks recently, and how did they go? How is everyone doing with getting through the content at school?

This chat is so people who do AQA Alevel Maths can get together and ask questions, help each other, discuss the papers etc. Good luck everyone!

@Evil Homer please add this to the list so people can join :smile:
Original post by anon.student_
How is everyone feeling about this course? Have you done mocks recently, and how did they go? How is everyone doing with getting through the content at school?

This chat is so people who do AQA Alevel Maths can get together and ask questions, help each other, discuss the papers etc. Good luck everyone!

Hey! Thank you for setting this up :smile: I've added it to the list! :biggrin:
mocks are next month and i'm absolutely dreading them :rip:
think we're going through the content at a decent pace :dontknow:
does anyone have any tips for me as im self teaching the course myself but feel like i keep forgetting certain elements of previous topics, any help would be appreciated :smile:
Hey, just wondering where everyone is content-wise. We've obviously done Pure yr1, Stats & Mechanics yr1, most of Pure yr2 aside from like Chapter 10. Not done Stats & Mechanics yr2 yet

I'm in year 12 doing A level Maths and so far in both tests I've sat I've gotten two Cs. Is this normal and will it harm my predicted grade? I'll need an A so I really need to start doing well in my tests.

I hate maths so much, I hate my teachers this year. It was genuinely my favourite subject last year but now I dread it. Got mocks coming up end of Feb/start of March and I'm really not prepared, I've been getting Es for my recent end of topic tests. I really want an A to prove to my teachers I can do it but I'm not entirely sure its possible at this point. I got a B in my year 12 mock though so maybe it is.

Just wondering though - is anyone revising the Large Data Set? We were told by our teachers this year not to bother but my teacher last year told us to look at it all the time.
Reply 7
Hi, can anyone do this question?

A particle of mass 4kg, initially at rest, is pulled up a rough surface, which is inclined at 25 degrees to the horizontal, by a force of 50N that acts at an angle of 30 degrees to the surface. coefficient of friction between particle and surface is 0.1

acceleration of particle I got as 6.42 ms^-2 which is right
2nd part of question is: after 3 seconds the force is removed, work out the time for the particle to come to rest. The answer is 5.92 seconds, but I'm not sure how to get the answer. I used suvat to work out speed before the force is removed, than worked out the acceleration without the 50N force up the slope, and substituted into another suvat. The answer I got is 3.83 ms^-2, can anybody help me with this question?
Original post by CJSedeman
Hey, just wondering where everyone is content-wise. We've obviously done Pure yr1, Stats & Mechanics yr1, most of Pure yr2 aside from like Chapter 10. Not done Stats & Mechanics yr2 yet

with school purely :
we have done all of stats ( excluding lds) and all of mechanics , with pure we only have numerical methods left and then we are done with the whole course
at home :
done questions on all of these topics obviously ( for like homework and stuff) but i only solidly know stats (fully) and some of pure ( like not vectors or trig)... mechanics :teehee: that's a different situation ( basically i struggle hard core with it and am likely to lose all of my marks on that )
hope this helps you a little
Original post by Zainab88
with school purely :
we have done all of stats ( excluding lds) and all of mechanics , with pure we only have numerical methods left and then we are done with the whole course
at home :
done questions on all of these topics obviously ( for like homework and stuff) but i only solidly know stats (fully) and some of pure ( like not vectors or trig)... mechanics :teehee: that's a different situation ( basically i struggle hard core with it and am likely to lose all of my marks on that )
hope this helps you a little

Wow you're a lot further along than our school. Have been considering teaching myself stats year 2 but I seriously struggles with year 1. I'm okay with mechanics because I'm a physics student as well so obviously done it twice. Re pure, I really struggle with trig - all my class seem to be able to sort it out fine and I get a little demoralised doing questions at home. Hopefully it'll all iron itself out soon! Good luck with everything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest