The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham college allocation/preference 2020 entry

Hi guys,
So basically I applied for Durham in October and received an offer a couple of months later. I applied for Hatfield as its great location, traditional, really pretty and the formals/gowns etc appeals to me. However it was really Castle I wanted to go to but was too scared because of the massive over application there!! But I have since decided it’s there I really want to go and it says online college preference on UCAS forms can be changed up until February.
Would it be a good/bad idea to change? I’m worried that changing it this late would mean I would instantly be rejected by Castle and then not get in there or Hatfield, and end up somewhere I didn’t want at all on the Hill!! This is a ramble but I just can’t decide what to do.
I don’t want to ruin my chances but reaaallllyyy want to go to castle!

Any advice/experience or similar thoughts?? 😬😬

Scroll to see replies

From what I know of Durham I know that both Castle and Hatfield get very heavily subscribed. Therefore I wouldn't risk it, but that's just my personal opinion. How comfortable do you feel staying at Hatfield? If you really dont want to risk getting a Hill College I would play it safe, but if you really want to get out of Hatfield and feel like not going to Castle would ruin your Durham experience then maybe just go for it. Most of the Bailey colleges are very similar in terms of what you've mentioned so I would have thought that you could get just as good an experience at Hatfield as at Castle but that's entirely down to personal preference. Changing this late shouldnt have any effect on your chances of getting that college since many people like me haven't even received our offers yet! I'd advise to just think about whether you want to risk it or not. I'm sure myself and others can give you plenty of information about each of the Colleges if you'd like :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/allocationprocess/statistics/
this link gives an idea of the likelyhood of getting your first choice college. It is a computer programme that allocates so you are at no disadvantage by changing your choice before Feb allocation date
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
From what I know of Durham I know that both Castle and Hatfield get very heavily subscribed. Therefore I wouldn't risk it, but that's just my personal opinion. How comfortable do you feel staying at Hatfield? If you really dont want to risk getting a Hill College I would play it safe, but if you really want to get out of Hatfield and feel like not going to Castle would ruin your Durham experience then maybe just go for it. Most of the Bailey colleges are very similar in terms of what you've mentioned so I would have thought that you could get just as good an experience at Hatfield as at Castle but that's entirely down to personal preference. Changing this late shouldnt have any effect on your chances of getting that college since many people like me haven't even received our offers yet! I'd advise to just think about whether you want to risk it or not. I'm sure myself and others can give you plenty of information about each of the Colleges if you'd like :smile:

I probably would be okay at Hatfield I’ve just heard that the people there are generally not that friendly at all, and I know thats just a stereotype, but it’s still worrying!! Also the shared rooms in first year is a bit worrying too.
What course and collegehave you applied for if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve applied for English.
I’m going to the post offer day I think so I might have another look at the colleges then...it’s just the risk factor ahhhh!!
Reply 4
Original post by Muser99
https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/allocationprocess/statistics/
this link gives an idea of the likelyhood of getting your first choice college. It is a computer programme that allocates so you are at no disadvantage by changing your choice before Feb allocation date

Ohhh okay thanks!!
Original post by Hannajoyyy
I probably would be okay at Hatfield I’ve just heard that the people there are generally not that friendly at all, and I know thats just a stereotype, but it’s still worrying!! Also the shared rooms in first year is a bit worrying too.
What course and collegehave you applied for if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve applied for English.
I’m going to the post offer day I think so I might have another look at the colleges then...it’s just the risk factor ahhhh!!

I'm applying for Chemistry and I'm not the most social person, so I went for Josephine Butler college :smile:
Almost every college has a stereotype but from what I've heard they're mostly not true so theres no reason to worry. I hope you enjoy the post offer day and whatever you choose I'm sure you'll be happy at the college you end up at!
Btw just so people realise Castle, Cuths and Hatfield all have other accomodation buildings near the Bailey but not on the Bailey so you are not guaranteed to be on the Bailey with any of these choices any way. Chads and St Johns are only Bailey based but are v small colleges so reallocation chance is high.
Reply 7
Really? I knew Castle did but not Cuths or Hatfield...they don’t have they advertised on the websites do they? :/
Original post by Hannajoyyy
Really? I knew Castle did but not Cuths or Hatfield...they don’t have they advertised on the websites do they? :/

Hatfield has Palmers garth and James barber house near the Bailey but not on it. Cuths has another building near Winney hill again not on the Bailey.
Original post by Anonymous
Hatfield has Palmers garth and James barber house near the Bailey but not on it. Cuths has another building near Winney hill again not on the Bailey.

On the Durham website in the colleges section there is a map with pinpoints for accomodation buildings so you can see where the other annexe buildings are located.
From Durham website-
Undergraduate
You will be allocated a college in February and your college will contact you via email to welcome you to their community. If your offer is made after February, your college allocation will follow shortly after your offer. You can read about how the college allocation process works here. Colleges are allocated in waves, so that we can test the system is working correctly. Don't worry if you know someone who has received their allocation and you haven't, it just means they were in an earlier wave
College allocation takes account of only two things: the college that was your preference college and the subject you wish to study. If you are reallocated, only the subject you will be studying will be taken into account as catering preference is not taken into account.
Any allocations yet?
Reply 12
Original post by UytKcaj
Any allocations yet?

No! So anxious ahh
Just got castle allocation for biosciences
:smile:
Reply 14
got castle for engineering x
Original post by Miurx
got castle for engineering x

So exciting :smile: