The Student Room Group

Help pleaseee

“What a cheek! You mean you come here to show power to women and you don’t even have a weapon”

How would u interpret this sentence? How would you word analysis this?

The context of this quote is that it is from a pre colonial African play and in this scene the African guards who are following the British colonialist orders and you could say have gone to the market where all the women are and they try to tell them to leave the premise as they want to prevent a ritual suicide which goes against the Yoruba culture however the women are trying to maintain this culture (the ritual suicide is for the kings horseman to join the king in the after life to guide him) however the women are standing up for themselves infront of these men but also they make mock him as the guard has taken on a very British view.

My thesis is do to with identity and this particular paragraph is the identity and importance of women’s identity to African culture

Does anyone have any ideas I would be truly greatful

I’m struggling so bad with my English lit coursework[
Reply 1
Original post by CCUupcake123
“What a cheek! You mean you come here to show power to women and you don’t even have a weapon”

How would u interpret this sentence? How would you word analysis this?

The context of this quote is that it is from a pre colonial African play and in this scene the African guards who are following the British colonialist orders and you could say have gone to the market where all the women are and they try to tell them to leave the premise as they want to prevent a ritual suicide which goes against the Yoruba culture however the women are trying to maintain this culture (the ritual suicide is for the kings horseman to join the king in the after life to guide him) however the women are standing up for themselves infront of these men but also they make mock him as the guard has taken on a very British view.

My thesis is do to with identity and this particular paragraph is the identity and importance of women’s identity to African culture

Does anyone have any ideas I would be truly greatful

I’m struggling so bad with my English lit coursework[

Maybe start by putting the quote into context e.g. male character is the speaker implying women are weak because they are not physically armed. He may be assessing them in accordance with patriarchal standards i.e. power is through aggression and violence. Exclamation shows he is incredulous that they even try to assert their power when they appear so powerless - all they can do is verbally mock. You should have something about how women are viewed portrayed in African society today and in the past pre/post colonial). Is the writer female? Is she a post-colonial writer or feminist i.e. does she have an agenda to show the treatment or power of women? These are the questions to think about before you launch in. May be you could find examples in the text about how difficult it is for women to assert their cultural identity in a patriarchal society as well as a colonial environment which may be suppressing the traditions of African society rather than simply women. The women may represent the treatment of Africa as a whole. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending