The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial vs UCL for machine learning

Hi, I've received an offer from both Imperial College London and UCL for their MSc in machine learning. Both courses are similar in terms of modules, and I have no real preference over the two. Which one do you feel like is the better university for AI and Machine Learning?
Reply 1
Bump
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Imperial is the better university
UCL has the better Machine Learning course and industrial connections

Depends on your career ambitions, from my research I think UCL's course is slightly better for finance
Imperial's course is better for further education / medicine / engineering

Theres a good post on quora about Imperial / UCL Machine learning course
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Imperial is the better university
UCL has the better Machine Learning course and industrial connections

Depends on your career ambitions, from my research I think UCL's course is slightly better for finance
Imperial's course is better for further education / medicine / engineering

Theres a good post on quora about Imperial / UCL Machine learning course

Thank you for your answer, I checked the quora post, from what I have read the main advantage UCL has is a strong connection with Deep Mind. I have to admit I would love to work ad Deep Mind and maybe studying at UCL would make it a little easier to get hired from them afterward. However, every other post I have read so far about UCL and Imperial states that Imperial is academically at the level of Cambridge and Oxford, while UCL is not as good... I have two more weeks to firm one of the offers,
I would really appreciate if some of you guys who have studied at either Imperial or UCL could help me and give me some more information, I am a European student and don't have any acquaintances that have studied in the UK.
Reply 4
Do you want to do a PhD afterwards? If so, look at research groups at each university and pick the one with the groups closest to your interests.
Thank you for your answer, I checked the quora post, from what I have read the main advantage UCL has is a strong connection with Deep Mind. I have to admit I would love to work ad Deep Mind and maybe studying at UCL would make it a little easier to get hired from them afterward. However, every other post I have read so far about UCL and Imperial states that Imperial is academically at the level of Cambridge and Oxford, while UCL is not as good... I have two more weeks to firm one of the offers,
I would really appreciate if some of you guys who have studied at either Imperial or UCL could help me and give me some more information, I am a European student and don't have any acquaintances that have studied in the UK.

From what I've read this specific Machine Learning course is better at UCL, there are many posts from quora, for both the UCL and Imperial course. I strong encourage you to dig deeper into the module choices.

Imperial is the better university in the sciences, on par or even above Oxbridge because of its specialization. Both unis are top 5 target unis, so you can't be too much worse off at UCL. If you intend to go into PhD I would probably take Imperial's course.
Reply 6
From what I've read this specific Machine Learning course is better at UCL, there are many posts from quora, for both the UCL and Imperial course. I strong encourage you to dig deeper into the module choices.

Imperial is the better university in the sciences, on par or even above Oxbridge because of its specialization. Both unis are top 5 target unis, so you can't be too much worse off at UCL. If you intend to go into PhD I would probably take Imperial's course.

I would like to continue with a PhD, but I might have to start working immediately after. The fact is, I hoped UCL had more professors working at DeepMind, while in reality, they have only one in the modules I would take. They do have many professors in the Gatsby Foundation, but I'm not really interested in neuroscience.

Imperial overall is the better university, so I might firm its offer. A "disadvantage" Imperial has is that their offer is more demanding than the UCL one, I should be able to meet the conditions, but UCL would be a safer pick in that regard.

Is it possible to firm an offer and have an "insurance" one like I know people do with UCAS? I am afraid that if I accept Imperial's offer, which is the one I'm tending to accept right now, I might fail and not end up anywhere next year. I'm a European student and am 100% sure how it works in the UK.
I would like to continue with a PhD, but I might have to start working immediately after. The fact is, I hoped UCL had more professors working at DeepMind, while in reality, they have only one in the modules I would take. They do have many professors in the Gatsby Foundation, but I'm not really interested in neuroscience.

Imperial overall is the better university, so I might firm its offer. A "disadvantage" Imperial has is that their offer is more demanding than the UCL one, I should be able to meet the conditions, but UCL would be a safer pick in that regard.

Is it possible to firm an offer and have an "insurance" one like I know people do with UCAS? I am afraid that if I accept Imperial's offer, which is the one I'm tending to accept right now, I might fail and not end up anywhere next year. I'm a European student and am 100% sure how it works in the UK.

You can't insure an offer I don't think. One last tip I've advise you to check linkedin profiles of students within these course at each university. It is possible to try secure an industrial placement and do a thesis on the course (you may have to secure it yourself, or the colleges has some placements arranged).
Reply 8
You can't insure an offer I don't think. One last tip I've advise you to check linkedin profiles of students within these course at each university. It is possible to try secure an industrial placement and do a thesis on the course (you may have to secure it yourself, or the colleges has some placements arranged).

Thank you, I've decided to go to Imperial! It will be harder to meet the conditions than UCL, and it will also be more challenging overall, but I have been accepted also for doing things the hard way.
Reply 9
Thank you, I've decided to go to Imperial! It will be harder to meet the conditions than UCL, and it will also be more challenging overall, but I have been accepted also for doing things the hard way.

Good choice - both are great universities but I think Imperial is ahead of UCL for engineering, computing and the sciences. Hopefully I will see you later this year, I have accepted a place on the MSc in AI at Imperial.

Can I ask what were the offer conditions?
Can I ask what were the offer conditions?

I’m not a British student, anyway Imperial asked 110, the maximum grade achievable in Italy UCL asked 108.
Hi, I've received an offer from both Imperial College London and UCL for their MSc in machine learning. Both courses are similar in terms of modules, and I have no real preference over the two. Which one do you feel like is the better university for AI and Machine Learning?

Hey..did you apply for the MSc in applied machine learning?
Original post by harper_
Good choice - both are great universities but I think Imperial is ahead of UCL for engineering, computing and the sciences. Hopefully I will see you later this year, I have accepted a place on the MSc in AI at Imperial.

Sorry to bump up this thread. But since I will be applying for CS/AI as a maths student, I'm curious to know. What course did you do your undergrad in? What condition did you receive at Imperial (and UCL MSc AI if you applied there)? Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending