The Student Room Group

Why don't people just order toilet rolls online instead of running to the shops??

But more importantly, why are they even stockpiling so much toilet roll? Is it like, for fun or something?

VT Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by issawrap
But more importantly, why are they even stockpiling so much toilet roll? Is it like, for fun or something?

Ivs for their one year supply
Reply 2
Because most people don't have the ability to do online shopping in the undeveloped countries.

It is plain stupid to me. If you are part of the at-risk group, then I’d understand why you would be concerned and then panic buy. However, if you are a normal person, stockpiling just creates issues for everyone. There was one person that had apparently purchased 46 bottles of hand sanitisers.
Reply 4
Original post by Misaela
Ivs for their one year supply

Even if it was necessary to stockpile, why has toilet roll been elected the most important item to stockpile?
Original post by Misaela
Because most people don't have the ability to do online shopping in the undeveloped countries.

This is not about under-developed countries.
Reply 6
Original post by Misaela

I'm talking about countries like UK, Aus, US
Reply 7
Original post by Wired_1800
It is plain stupid to me. If you are part of the at-risk group, then I’d understand why you would be concerned and then panic buy. However, if you are a normal person, stockpiling just creates issues for everyone. There was one person that had apparently purchased 46 bottles of hand sanitisers.

I'm genuinely so confused
Even if it was necessary to stockpile, why has toilet roll been elected the most important item to stockpile?

For me it is a bit confusing as in an emergency there are alternatives to toilet paper. I hear that some people (mistakenly) believe that diarrhoea is a symptom, otherwise idk
Reply 9

I will tell you at one point you won't be able to buy anything and if you don't have any supplies at home how will you do. Maybe be You don't feel it as much because you're in a developed country but those who are in an undeveloped country know what chaos lies a head. You should have a one year supply nothing will be able to trust in the future.
Original post by Misaela
I will tell you at one point you won't be able to buy anything and if you don't have any supplies at home how will you do. Maybe be You don't feel it as much because you're in a developed country but those who are in an undeveloped country know what chaos lies a head. You should have a one year supply nothing will be able to trust in the future.

The virus is not going to keep anyone inside for one year, if you buy insane amounts of supplies you are disadvantaging many others with your selfishness. No matter where you are, I don't think food supplies ate going to stop as you have a much greater chance of dying from literal starvation than the coronavirus
More to the point why can't people just be sensible and not do stupid things like buy so much toilet roll
You can make home-made hand sanitizer out of alcohol

and you can make home-made alcohol out of toilet paper as has been demonstrated by Mr Nile Red

That's the most logical thing I can think of TBH
I'm genuinely so confused

Some people dont think before the act.

If everyone else catches the virus because they could not protect themselves properly, then these people would still catch it unless they live in a cave away from civilisation.
Original post by Misaela

There is no need to stockpile because you cause issues to the supply chain. Rather than allowing everyone to have a fair share, you keep everything in your house.
Well what if toilet paper runs out because the companies close how will you have toilet paper then. And not everyone has internet not everyone has all the advice.
Original post by Joinedup
You can make home-made hand sanitizer out of alcohol

and you can make home-made alcohol out of toilet paper as has been demonstrated by Mr Nile Red

That's the most logical thing I can think of TBH

But won't you just have to clean your ass with the hand santizer because you've just turned all the loo roll into booze? :tongue:
Original post by StriderHort
But won't you just have to clean your ass with the hand santizer because you've just turned all the loo roll into booze? :tongue:

Not if you drink all the booze.
There is no need to stockpile because you cause issues to the supply chain. Rather than allowing everyone to have a fair share, you keep everything in your house.

And what if the countries water supply gets contaminated. What if all the farmers and fishers get the corona virus. What if all the companies close down because import and export is forbidden what then. Are you going to starve to death. What are you gonna do in these cases.
Original post by nexttime
Not if you drink all the booze.

If anything I assumed that's why wiping your ass with hand sanitizer would seem a good idea at the time. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest