The Student Room Group

Embarrassed about using the toilet

I get so embarrassed about using the toilet around others I hate people hearing me when having a poo . It's got worse recently as I've been having slightly looser stools and sometimes passing gas at the same time . I try to hold it in when I can and only go when no one is around but often get stomach ache when I don't go . I'm also worried about making a mess in the toilet i know everyone poops but anyone else feel the same ? Please help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Has anyone experienced this feeling quite anxious about using the toilet where I live?
Reply 2
Is this an issue when you are at a public toilet or does it affect you at home as well?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Makro
Is this an issue when you are at a public toilet or does it affect you at how as well?

It affects me with both just embarrassed about the noises when having a bowel movement
Reply 4
First of all, have seen the GP about your bowel issues because that alone will be embarrassing for anyone as it's quite an explosive noise, trust me I know! Once it's treated that will significantly reduce the noise. Once your stool is back to normal consistency you can lessen any 'plopping' sounds but laying a few sheets of loo roll in the toilet before you go.

Secondly, you need to keep reminding yourself that EVERYONE goes to the toilet and makes some kind of noise and that's why toilets exist..to do your business and if anyone doesn't like it tough.
Reply 5
Original post by Makro
First of all, have seen the GP about your bowel issues because that alone will be embarrassing for anyone as it's quite an explosive noise, trust me I know! Once it's treated that will significantly reduce the noise. Once your stool is back to normal consistency you can lessen any 'plopping' sounds but laying a few sheets of loo roll in the toilet before you go.

Secondly, you need to keep reminding yourself that EVERYONE goes to the toilet and makes some kind of noise and that's why toilets exist..to do your business and if anyone doesn't like it tough.

Thankyou for the advice yes when my poo is looser the gas is always worse just feel embarrassed about it that's all but like you say everyone goes to the loo . Will try some loo roll in the toilet as well thanks for the advice!
Reply 6
Original post by Makro

If you have had similar issues and don't mind me asking did anything help for you ?
honestly just know that everyone has toilet problems at some time or another and that no one is actively listening to you in the bathroom. Even if they did they would literally forget about it in a few hours
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
honestly just know that everyone has toilet problems at some time or another and that no one is actively listening to you in the bathroom. Even if they did they would literally forget about it in a few hours

It always seems worse when I'm worried about it or have to go when someone is in the house. Don't have it all the time but lately alot of what I'm eating doesn't seem to agree with me.
Original post by Anonymous
I get so embarrassed about using the toilet around others I hate people hearing me when having a poo . It's got worse recently as I've been having slightly looser stools and sometimes passing gas at the same time . I try to hold it in when I can and only go when no one is around but often get stomach ache when I don't go . I'm also worried about making a mess in the toilet i know everyone poops but anyone else feel the same ? Please help

hey , put the tap on - i do this especially in public settings and tissue in the toilet
Original post by 123ereeerrgh
hey , put the tap on - i do this especially in public settings and tissue in the toilet

I dunno, there's is definitely some awful joy in just letting rip in a public toilet and shouting 'Yeah how do you like THAT?!' :eek:
Reply 11
Original post by 123ereeerrgh

Thanks will try it .
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort
I dunno, there's is definitely some awful joy in just letting rip in a public toilet and shouting 'Yeah how do you like THAT?!' :eek:

I wish I was so relaxed about this rather than feeling embarrassed.
HAHAHAH this reminds me, i went public toilet once and purposely let out the loudest shart to human kind, my firends were dying laughing, it was great, however the toilet was a bit ehhhh mucky (i cleaned it dont worry)
You can fold some tissues to put in the toilet to break the fall of incoming turds. Then you can use something like poo pourrie to mask the smell, although I've never used it so can't say how well it works.
Original post by debussydream
You can fold some tissues to put in the toilet to break the fall of incoming turds. Then you can use something like poo pourrie to mask the smell, although I've never used it so can't say how well it works.

Poo pourrie is that specific one to mask poo smell or did you mean 'Pot pourie?'
Original post by Anonymous #4
Poo pourrie is that specific one to mask poo smell or did you mean 'Pot pourie?'

Yes a specific one called poo pourie for masking poo smell
Yes a specific one called poo pourie for masking poo smell

Oh my days! Will look for that.

I'm the same having constantly bad tummies the poo pourrie sounds like a good idea as often I have terrible smelly gas along with diarrhoea. Don't know what's wrong with me have watery and gassy poos everyday even after a slice of toast in a morning I can be on the loo with massive diarrhoea. I get really embarrassed what can I do to stop this hate sharing bathrooms and people hearing me.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous #1

I can't give advice unfortunately, but just know you're not the only one with this issue! I struggle a lot with using public toilets and often get stomach aches as a result. I tend to wear earbuds and watch a video or listen to music so I can block out the sound of anyone coming in and out of the toilets, it's kind of a way for me to disconnect from my surroundings and not feel as nervous. I hope you manage to overcome this. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest