The Student Room Group

Uni packing

Hi all,
What are some of the necessities for university, I've found the basics from online lists and everything but the things that I might not think to pack and are good to remember?
Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi all,
What are some of the necessities for university, I've found the basics from online lists and everything but the things that I might not think to pack and are good to remember?
Thank you!

Hi there!

You may have these things on your list already, but some of mine are...

Indoor shoes - something to wear around your accommodation, especially in the kitchen.
Lots of hangers to keep your wardrobe tidy.
Comfy clothes - loungewear, joggers, that type of thing - you can never have too many!
A clothes' airer - in case you want to save some money in the laundry room.
Drawing pins - mainly if you have a noticeboard/pin board where you're living.
Storage - I have a small set of draws that I use for my art supplies, but any additional storage boxes, baskets, draws, can always be useful.
A first aid kit - maybe just some plasters, paracetamol, antiseptic cream, etc.

And another tip - though not necessary - but I like to stock up on a few birthday cards so I have some in my flat in case of a last minute (or potentially forgotten - oops!) birthday.

Hope this helps and good luck packing!
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Hi all,
Thank you!

Hiya!

Amongst essentials, I would also recommend bringing some personal items as the first few weeks at university can be quite exciting but students do often feel home sick as well and having a few home comforts would definitely help 🙂

As well as comfy clothes which you can wear in your accommodation I would recommend some sort of shoe such as sliders and crocs - which are easy to put on if you are just nipping to the bins, corner shop or even just walking around the building.

Bring some sort of medication like paracetamol, lozenges etc and first aid box it works well as a just in case but also you are pre-pared for when you go out for Freshers

Batteries and even a screwdriver - I brought quite a few things from home which needed batteries and embarrassingly I didn't even realise so I had to nip round to the corner shop and buy some asap and they were quite expensive.

Of course there are some things which you can just buy from the shop or order online - you don't want to bring everything as it will make the moving process very long and it depends on how much you can physically bring in the first place and you don't want to make your accommodation feel cluttered (as they are on the smaller side, most of the time.). Hence why my first recommendation is always personal items such as photos, a plush, a blanket etc as these tend to be irreplaceable and make a big difference when you are living somewhere new the first time.

Here is a general list, found on De Montfort's university website just incase something new is mentioned
https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/applicant-tasters/your-community/what-to-bring.aspx

My tip is asking what other students brought and would recommend (like you are doing now, so good job 🙂 ) and I also watched so many tiktoks and youtube videos of like hauls and how to decorate etc which I got a lot of inspiration from.

I also have replied to 2 other discussions on this platform about what to bring and I will add the links just incase you get more new ideas from older comments
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7444562#post99165268
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7412387

I hope this helps, and I will be happy to suggest any more
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University
Hey! There's lots of great suggestions from Maddie and Emily above, I just wanted to add to for me it was really important to take things that reminded me of home with me, to make my dorm room feel more comfortable from the get go. For me that included my favourite mug and takeaway coffee cup so I could have a coffee on the way to early morning lectures! Another thing I found useful was taking labels/stickers to label things in the kitchen - we shared cupboard space so food bits often got muddled together. One thing I remember I had to go and buy for my room in the first week was a desk lamp, it was just something I hadn't even thought about. But the good thing is especially with online shopping like Amazon, if there is anything you've forgotten you can easily get it quickly! And often as well with my flatmates, we'd chip in together on things we might've forgotten or would all find useful, so that definitely made things easier too.

Good luck with your packing and starting university! I hope you have a great time 🤗
Jennie
Reply 4
If I had to go back to uni, aside from all the practical advice given above, I would definitely pack my pillows and duvet (arguably my mattress too) 😀! A good night's sleep is invaluable.
Hi all,
Thank you!

Hi there,

There are so many great suggestions here already!

The main thing I think is an absolute necessity is enough medication/a first aid kit. It's better to have too much and never have to use it rather than having to make a run to the shops when you're feeling awful! Think about anything you might need it for - e.g., headaches, body aches, cuts, coughs, a sore throat.

A hot water bottle and vitamins are also great to have when you're feeling sick or even just when it starts to get a little cold and dark.

I'd also recommend a small sewing kit. I have had mine with me every year, and it has saved me numerous times!

Earplugs and an eye mask are also essentials in my mind. You never know what your accommodation or neighbours will be like, so prepare for any noise and ensure you can get some sleep.

Here are a few ideas from the University of Chester if you don't have them on your list already: https://www1.chester.ac.uk/news/packing-essentials

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Hi,

As someone who has just graduated from university there are a few more things which haven't been said already which I recommend taking which I forgot when I first went to university.

Extension lead - this was so useful to take as you never know where the plugs is going to be in your room and how many you are going to get.

Mattress topper - the beds at uni aren't always the most comfortable so getting a mattress topper can make it more comfortable and get a better night sleep, it also helps protect the mattress.

Fancy dress clothes - throughout my time there were lots of occasions there was a themed night in societies I joined or with my friends. So I recommend taking all the fancy dress you have like outfits, sunglasses, hats because you never know when you'll need it and will save you money having to buy it when you get there.

I hope this helps and you have a good time at uni when you start🙂
Louise - University of Wolverhampton rep.
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi all,
Thank you!
Anon,

Items for cleaning. (They should clean your room beforehand but there might be dust and you might feel better giving places a bit of a clean before you put your belongings down. It's easier if you have some cloths and antibacterial spray or wipes with you, as it means that you don't have find the nearest shop and get them and then get back to your room before you can start cleaning).

Hand wash, toilet roll, hand sanitiser, shower cap

Coasters (to avoid tea stains on the table)

Weights (if you don't want to go to the gym)

Finally, don't forget your mobile charger/ portable power bank ( ideally have one for home and one for uni, so that you don't have to worry about taking it back and forth.)

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Hi all,
Thank you!
Hi Anon,

Great question and one that many new students are wanting to know. Here are a few extra suggestions from me.

Hangers

Official documents, passport, national insurance letter, student finance documents etc.

Any medication, plasters, hot water bottle

Bottle and can opener

Extension lead is super useful

Laundry basket, clothes airer

Door stop

Fairy lights, photos, cushions and blankets to make the place feel more cozy

Storage boxes

Room diffuser

Mattress topper

Speaker

Hope this helps, 😊
Sarah
Hi all,
Thank you!
Hiya,

There have been a lot of suggestions already but I would recommend sports/gym equipment in case you want to work out at home and not go to the gym. Also, I would recommend getting some contents insurance on items like your phone, laptop and tablet. This is just in case something happens so you don't have to pay tons of money out in one go.

-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi all,
Thank you!
Hi there,

I think a great thing to bring is a doorstop! it means that you can prop your door open in the first few weeks so people can come in and out and see that you are in there.
Also remember first aid kits- painkillers etc- freshers flu is very real!

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending