The Student Room Group

Still in love with my psychiatrist :(

I have been in love with my psychiatrist since January I have been discharged 2 weeks ago so I won't see him again. I know we can't have a relationship as I am his patient etc. I was told this was not love but infatuation by others is so why have my feelings for him remained the same?

It just breaks my heart I can't stop thinking of him I just wish I could see him again and just talk to him. He is the only man in my life who has ever shown me much kindness. All the men in my life have treated me like absolute cr*p including my dad who abandoned me and couldn't care less and then my step dad's who also treated me like I was nothing they were cold and condescending.

My psychiatrist has this smile that melts your heart and I feel like he listened to me and he cared what I have to say. I don't know what to do I feel heart broken at the fact that we can never be together and that I probably won't see him again. I don't think I will ever find anyone like him ever again. :'(
Original post by Anonymous
I have been in love with my psychiatrist since January I have been discharged 2 weeks ago so I won't see him again. I know we can't have a relationship as I am his patient etc. I was told this was not love but infatuation by others is so why have my feelings for him remained the same?

It just breaks my heart I can't stop thinking of him I just wish I could see him again and just talk to him. He is the only man in my life who has ever shown me much kindness. All the men in my life have treated me like absolute cr*p including my dad who abandoned me and couldn't care less and then my step dad's who also treated me like I was nothing they were cold and condescending.

My psychiatrist has this smile that melts your heart and I feel like he listened to me and he cared what I have to say. I don't know what to do I feel heart broken at the fact that we can never be together and that I probably won't see him again. I don't think I will ever find anyone like him ever again. :'(

I think I can help. Send me a DM
It's his job
You've basically answered your own question. Your psychiatrist is the only male to have shown any sort of kindness or understanding towards you so naturally you've become attached to him. I appreciate how difficult and conflicting your feelings must be but people are right when they say it's infatuation rather than love - you don't know him as a person, only him in a professional capacity. I imagine a lot of people become attached to mental health professionals, especially those who don't have a strong support network elsewhere, but remember he's only doing his job.
Original post by bones-mccoy
You've basically answered your own question. Your psychiatrist is the only male to have shown any sort of kindness or understanding towards you so naturally you've become attached to him. I appreciate how difficult and conflicting your feelings must be but people are right when they say it's infatuation rather than love - you don't know him as a person, only him in a professional capacity. I imagine a lot of people become attached to mental health professionals, especially those who don't have a strong support network elsewhere, but remember he's only doing his job.

Wow... thats harsh...
Original post by ClayJensen817
Wow... thats harsh...

It's realistic
Nothing harsh about what she said. It's true, and if anything, this realisation should make it easier for OP to cope with, as now they can make sense of their feelings. Naturally most of us (probably 99.9%) grow up wanting care by a mother and father. So if you've had no father figure in your life, then you'll probably have that void in your life that you'll naturally want to fill. And it seems now you've found an individual who you feel can feel that void. Don't worry, it's very hard, we all appreciate that, but there are good men out there who will love you for who you are, maybe not as a father but as a partner (e.g. husband), and when you have children of your own (if that's what you want), you can show them that love you didn't have throughout your childhood. All the best.
Original post by ClayJensen817
Wow... thats harsh...

It's the truth though.
Reply 8
Unfortunately I can’t get rid of the way I am feeling I thought with time I would stop thinking of him I just want to see him once more to just speak to him and see his smile
Reply 9
It's Tony Soprano!
is your psychiatrist jennifer melfi?
Original post by MalcolmX
is your psychiatrist jennifer melfi?

No he is a man

Quick Reply

Latest