The Student Room Group

Business School Selection

Hey,
I aspire to be in the Investment Banking industry so I've applied for my postgraduate from the U.K and the offers I'm currently holding are -

Stratclyde - MSc Finance and Investment
Aston - MSc Investment Analysis

I'm expecting offers from University of Birmingham as well

Which one should I choose ?
My priorities -
1 - Career in Investment Banking
2 - Job location - London

My concerns -
1 - What's the future market scenario due to the outbreak of COVID-19 ? Can we expect it's impacts to be reversed by July 2021 ?
2 - What are the job profiles that my degree would open me to ?
3 - Will the jobs my job profile be automated in the coming years ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To be honest both unis are far from targets. They would unlikely add any value to you in breaking into IB positions.
Can you get a masters in UCL, Imperial or LSE?
Those are way better to get into investment banking.
You might have to consider a boutique firm after graduation. As someone said above, the bigger Investment Banks look for graduates from target schools, Cass, Imperial, LSE etc.
Okay
But are they good colleges ?
And what's the job profile I can expect after my course completion ?
Original post by Shobhiitgupta
Okay
But are they good colleges ?
And what's the job profile I can expect after my course completion ?

They are the top universities in the country.
A good masters from there would definitely set you up! Build good network, and London is a financial hub, you may be even lucky to network your way in, if someone at the top likes you.
Original post by vanillapanda
They are the top universities in the country.
A good masters from there would definitely set you up! Build good network, and London is a financial hub, you may be even lucky to network your way in, if someone at the top likes you.

Okay.

Thanks mate
Okay.

Thanks mate

OMG I was talking about UCL, LSE and imperial being good colleges!

Aston and Strath will not get you into investment banking. Sorry for the confusion.
Reply 8
OMG I was talking about UCL, LSE and imperial being good colleges!

Aston and Strath will not get you into investment banking. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah I agree with this.

To the OP: if you want an IB job in London, do your Masters in London at any of the universities mentioned already, or Oxbridge. Any other institution and you will struggle to get into IB, which means having to change your career plans.
Yes you can reach some career in finance based in London, but cannot reach IB from those universities. Plus factor the issue of visa sponsorship for international students and the stale job market it become even more of a stark ask.

You’ll likely need to aim for a different group of firms, a different role (not front office).
Original post by BusMan21
Yes you can reach some career in finance based in London, but cannot reach IB from those universities. Plus factor the issue of visa sponsorship for international students and the stale job market it become even more of a stark ask.

You’ll likely need to aim for a different group of firms, a different role (not front office).

What about boutique firms or corporate finance ?
What about boutique firms or corporate finance ?

High end boutique are even more elitist. Not sure about other smaller firms or corporate finance.

Okay so there's been an update.
I got an offer from Cranfield School of Management for MSc Finance and Management.
Will it help me break into Investment Banking ?
Guys on the Question of Strathclyde.

I've known plenty of people that have gotten into ib or asset management from strathclyde university. Not sure what the elitist attitude is here
Original post by DJANGOBANE
Guys on the Question of Strathclyde.

I've known plenty of people that have gotten into ib or asset management from strathclyde university. Not sure what the elitist attitude is here

What about Cranfield ?
I got an offer from Cranfield School of Management for MSc Finance and Management.

I'd go for Cranfield!

Possibly.

Put it another way - try google: linkedin + university name/course + Investment Bank firm to see the spread (if any) of professionals working in IBD actually went to that university/studied that course.

And what do you mean by IBD? IB M&A only? Or any roles within an IB? I highly recommend you watch the below clip: 'investment bank, investment bank, investment bank' mantra is too narrow minded and set you up for disappointment if you're only chasing such a small % of finance roles.

Possibly.

Put it another way - try google: linkedin + university name/course + Investment Bank firm to see the spread (if any) of professionals working in IBD actually went to that university/studied that course.

And what do you mean by IBD? IB M&A only? Or any roles within an IB? I highly recommend you watch the below clip: 'investment bank, investment bank, investment bank' mantra is too narrow minded and set you up for disappointment if you're only chasing such a small % of finance roles.

Loooooooool that video made my day! :tongue:

I remember seeing some similar ones a few years back. I think there was one about a guy going for an interview at LSE?
Can you get a masters in UCL, Imperial or LSE?
Those are way better to get into investment
banking.

Hey . What about Warwick business school ?
Possibly.

Okay the video was good. Can you please elaborate what kind of roles is it talking about in UBS and designation please ?
FYI I'm looking for investment banking job with a generous pay. Not specifically for a small percentage of jobs that are way too competitive.
Your help would make me take decision for my future.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending