The Student Room Group

A Levels For A Law Degree

I’m picking my A Level options this year and wanted to know if these are good options to do an apprenticeship and university law degree rather than just a university degree. I though maybe English Language, Psychology, Philosophy And Ethics and AS Level Spanish. i have heard that English Literature is a better option however i’m predicted a grade 9 in language and an 8 in literature and with doing a language AS i don’t want to overwork myself. i also didn’t do GCSE History so i cannot do that at A Level. Other options i’ve considered are Economics, maybe English Literature and Sociology instead of Psychology. I am also wanting to keep my options open to other paths, maybe criminology or forensics? i’d just like some help to narrow down my options.
Most things prepare you well for law - Oxford say an essay-based subject will be helpful on the course, but apart from that it's not that big of a deal. Universities like to see academically rigorous subjects, but the Russel Group recently abandoned the 'facilitating subject' concept so it shouldn't matter really. Physics is great because it requires an analytical mind and problem solving, while history is great because it requires you to structure an argument and manipulate information to prove your points. As long as the subject provides you with transferrable skills, it will be fine!
I’m just starting A2 now and I’m end goal is to be a barrister so I was in the same boat as you last year. I asked my tutors and they advised me to take essay based subjects as this is imperative to improve skills heavily used in Law.
They also advised me to NOT choose A-Level law as it is unnecessary and is very likely to put you off pursuing a career in the law field.

I chose English Lit and Lang( which is really interesting and enjoyable), Religious studies (which is also really interesting and enjoyable but my hardest course due to the great deal of content and difficult time conditions) and sociology (which is really straight forward as long as you learn the theory and theorists). So far so good I’m predicted all A’s and A* so it was definitely a good choice for me but it’s super important to choose subjects you enjoy and essay based courses.
You don't have to have a GCSE in History to take it A level... do you? :confused:
Reply 4
Original post by Roses & Dreams x
You don't have to have a GCSE in History to take it A level... do you? :confused:

It depends on the 6th form. Some will let you study it without having done the GCSE and some won't.
Reply 5
History, English Lit, Maths, sociology, Govt & Politics. If you pick three, pick History, English Lit and Maths.But if you are not good at maths you should do sociology it is an easy pass at a level .my cousin chose English lit , history, and maths and is now studying law at King's College London.
First of all, let me say this: NO A LEVEL IS REQUIRED for law. Do the one you enjoy the most so you can motivate yourself in getting the higher grades law schools want. You dont need English Lit or any specific a level for it so choose whatever as long as it's not a btec (although you can apply with a btec you need to ask unis if they accept that specific btec). I want to do a law degree but I'm doing Physics, Maths and History, not to help me with law but because I enjoy it. Please dont fall into the misconception of "soft" subjects or you need a specific a level for law or you need an essay subject. An essay subject helps but you can show ways to do essays through essay competitions and you can learn at the start of uni tbh.
Original post by Heathernchem
I’m just starting A2 now and I’m end goal is to be a barrister so I was in the same boat as you last year. I asked my tutors and they advised me to take essay based subjects as this is imperative to improve skills heavily used in Law.
They also advised me to NOT choose A-Level law as it is unnecessary and is very likely to put you off pursuing a career in the law field.

I chose English Lit and Lang( which is really interesting and enjoyable), Religious studies (which is also really interesting and enjoyable but my hardest course due to the great deal of content and difficult time conditions) and sociology (which is really straight forward as long as you learn the theory and theorists). So far so good I’m predicted all A’s and A* so it was definitely a good choice for me but it’s super important to choose subjects you enjoy and essay based courses.

Tbh STEM subject will also give you skills that can be used in law. You can choose A level Law but it's not needed but some people do like A level law. I defo agree you choose subjects you enjoy but they dont need to be essay based
Original post by kadiatuj0001
History, English Lit, Maths, sociology, Govt & Politics. If you pick three, pick History, English Lit and Maths.But if you are not good at maths you should do sociology it is an easy pass at a level .my cousin chose English lit , history, and maths and is now studying law at King's College London.

Any combo is fine and no a level is easy and if it is, it's relative to the person. I find Maths easy but English hard but my friend would be the opposite

Quick Reply

Latest