The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

2020 Student Ambassadors

Welcome to this thread, where current student ambassadors are here to answer any questions you might have about studying at the University of Lincoln.

Here's a little bit of information about the students who are running this thread:

Name: Natt
Course: 3rd-year Biomedical Science student

Hello, my name is Natt and I am a third-year Biomedical Science student at the University of Lincoln. I moved from Birmingham to Lincoln and that was a major change but I have learnt new skills and do things I never thought I would ever do e.g. being an ambassador, getting involved in societies, and meeting an awful lot of new people! There are so many opportunities for you at University, regardless of where you are. Personally, Lincoln ticked all the boxes for me; good transports to closer major city making it easier to go home or a day out, the city is beautiful with the cathedral on top of the steep hill (the first thing you see as you arrive into the heart of Lincoln) and the University itself offered everything I was looking for. I'm not sure what I am going to do after University, I'm just treasuring the time I have left here with my friends, colleagues and the city.
I am here to help if you have any questions 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Callum
Course: 3rd year Business and Management

Hi, I’m Callum! I started university as a mature student at 21 in 2018, and I'm about to go into my 3rd year in Business and Management student at the University of Lincoln and will hopefully be doing a master’s in management at Lincoln. Before university, I studied a variety of business courses at College in my home city of Norwich and received various of awards in achieving well in my studies, so my knowledge and experience is strong for anyone wanting advice or a chat about business-related subjects. There are so many great opportunities to take part in at with the Uni and the SU. For example, I’ve been involved in; Course rep, School rep, cluster rep, Vice President for the Business Society and founder and President for the largest recreational society this year; the ‘I’m Bored Society!’. I have been a Recruitment Ambassador for the last 2 years, fundraised for charities and been involved in exciting and fun projects in the local community and for the University, so I know a lot about the university life at Lincoln and the great opportunities there are awaiting to be discovered for you! I came to Lincoln as it had a great sense of belonging, a close community, and is a beautiful city to explore with loads of sports and activities to do (Rounders on Sundays can’t go wrong!) and my course had a positive reviews which gave me the confidence that the course will be delivered well. Coming to Lincoln is a life-changing experience in which you would not be disappointed in, with all the support you could ever want in one amazing package! Any questions at all, please feel free to ask me at any time, no question is ever a silly one!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Ellie
Course: 3rd Year Media Production

Hi there! I started university in 2018 and in my first year, I lived in Lincoln Courts and made life long friends. During second-year I lived in Brayford Quays and lived with most of the people from the first year. I am now living with my best friends and course mates in a private house. My hobbies include going to the cinema and hanging with my friends discussing films we love. My favourite subject is VFX and want to study this further for a career within it after university. I am so glad I wanted to be a recruitment and The Student Room Ambassador as it has helped my confidence so much and has made me appreciate the university. I am very lucky for the job as it can fit around my university schedule and have got some opportunities from it. I love living in Lincoln, it is my home and I will always recommend it as a place to live and become the best you can be. Lincoln also had the perfect course for me and the University had everything I wanted from a university including everything being in walking distance. I look forward to answering your questions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Connor
Course: 3rd Year History

Hi, I’m Connor and I’m a third year History student here at the University of Lincoln. I have a very strong interest in history, specifically modern history, and this is something that encouraged me to come to university and continue my education surrounding history. At university I take a lot of pride in completing university work and taking part in activities and work opportunities. In my first year I lived on campus, and now live in a house just up the hill, and it is lovely. The opportunities of living on campus really enabled me to gather a close group of friends, which enabled me to move into a house with them and really enjoy my second year. I love the independence the university provides you, but knowing the support is there if I need it! I am a student and recruitment ambassador at the university which is a brilliant way of earning some extra money during term time, and to further build my confidence up for later career aspirations. In terms of career aspirations, I aim to continue my university education with a PGCE to become a history teacher within the next few years. Working as ambassador with young adults has really furthered my confidence and inspired my future career path. I can’t wait to start answering your questions!
(edited 3 years ago)
Can anyone give any information on how business management has been for them? I am studying this in September 2020 so just wanted some information on it all.
Cheers,
Charlotte.
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Hi @charlottepurdyx,

Thank you for getting in touch, unfortunately none of us in this thread study Business Management. However, my girlfriend is actually in her third year of the course at the University of Lincoln, so I have asked her for a summary see below:

'I have mostly enjoyed the course, there has been a great deal of support available when I needed it, particularly in third year. For example, the assessment support tutorials with the lecturers have been really useful. There is a wide variety of modules which gives a broad perspective of Business and Management. You are able to choose some of your modules in both second and third year so you are able to pick the ones that most interest you. My favourite module has been crisis management which I chose in third year. This module gives an insight into how businesses manage a crisis and how they recover from them, for example I did an assignment about how Primark responded to the Rana Plaza crisis.'

I hope this is helpful, in terms of starting in September one of my biggest tips would be to join a sports club or a society. There are loads to choose from and they offer a great opportunity to make friends and relax away from the course. You can see a list here.

I hope this helps, good luck with your studies.

Jack :smile:
Hi I've got an unconditional offer to study strength and conditioning in sport. Is there anyone I can talk to about that course in particular?
Hi @evanmarshall47,

That's amazing news, congratulations! Due to the university closure we are doing things a different way but trying to ensure that prospective students get all the information you need before starting in September. We have live q&a sessions every Thursday, so our next one is on the 23rd of April, you can find more information here. Alternatively, you could email [email protected] and they may be able to direct you to the course leader for any questions.

Hope this helps :smile:

Lexy
4th year student rep
Hello, I have just completed 2nd year Creative Writing at a London Uni and am considering a move due to personal circumstances - does Lincoln take transfers in to the 3rd year and would it be better to approach the Head of School or Program Leader direct? I suspect admissions might just fob me off with a standard policy rejection. I know it's not ideal, or easily done, but also not unheard of.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Writeright
Hello, I have just completed 2nd year Creative Writing at a London Uni and am considering a move due to personal circumstances - does Lincoln take transfers in to the 3rd year and would it be better to approach the Head of School or Program Leader direct? I suspect admissions might just fob me off with a standard policy rejection. I know it's not ideal, or easily done, but also not unheard of.

Hey, would you be wanting to start on Year 3 of their English and Creative Writing course?

I am in the same situation - I am about to finish year 2 studying English Lit and Creative Writing and wanting to join Lincoln Uni in 2020 but to start in Year 3. Not sure if anyone has replied to you - but what I have done is emailed Lincoln and they told me that it is something that they do consider, and they asked for my module information to pass on to (presumably the Program Leader as you said) to see if this matches with the course so far!
Original post by MoonS1
Hey, would you be wanting to start on Year 3 of their English and Creative Writing course?

I am in the same situation - I am about to finish year 2 studying English Lit and Creative Writing and wanting to join Lincoln Uni in 2020 but to start in Year 3. Not sure if anyone has replied to you - but what I have done is emailed Lincoln and they told me that it is something that they do consider, and they asked for my module information to pass on to (presumably the Program Leader as you said) to see if this matches with the course so far!

Oh, hi. I also emailed their admissions, and was told to apply through UCAS with 'Year 3' as the entry year, and also provide a transcript of grades and modules covered so far, together with any modules completed in Year 2 so that they could see if there was a match. Which is fair enough. Still thinking about it. A lot may change between now and then.

Hi @Writeright

If you have not already, please do get in touch with our Admissions Team on [email protected] and they will be very happy to look at your options!

We look forward to hearing from you and hope that helps!

Lewis :smile:
Original post by University of Lincoln
Hi @Writeright

If you have not already, please do get in touch with our Admissions Team on [email protected] and they will be very happy to look at your options!

We look forward to hearing from you and hope that helps!

Lewis :smile:

Thanks Lewis, I have contacted them, as noted in my reply to MoonS1.

I am still waiting for the Boards at my current uni to finalise our Level 5 grades, which is hopefully going to be this week sometime.

It is also important to me how the whole Covid crisis might have an impact on teaching and study methods for the start of the final year, so I have not yet made a final decision.
Original post by evanmarshall47
Hi I've got an unconditional offer to study strength and conditioning in sport. Is there anyone I can talk to about that course in particular?

Hi @evanmarshall47,

I know Lexy has already replied to you, although we have a number of ambassadors whom manage this thread. I am actually a third year Sport and Exercise Science student and I know the strength and conditioning students have a lot of the same modules as us. So I maybe would be able to assist with your questions? I have a few friends who do the strength and conditioning course at Lincoln and they have really enjoyed it, I think it really prepares you for a career in the industry.

Let me know if you have any questions that you think I may be able to assist with.

Jack :smile:
Thanks Lewis, I have contacted them, as noted in my reply to MoonS1.

I am still waiting for the Boards at my current uni to finalise our Level 5 grades, which is hopefully going to be this week sometime.

It is also important to me how the whole Covid crisis might have an impact on teaching and study methods for the start of the final year, so I have not yet made a final decision.

Hi @Writeright and @MoonS1,

I thought that I would just say hello and that I am pleased that both of you are considering switching to the University of Lincoln for your final year. I am a student ambassador here and wondered if you have any questions regarding the University or living in Lincoln?. I am not sure what the plans are regarding Covid for the next academic year but as a final year student, I just wanted to reassure you that the University has been supporting their students well during the current crisis. Our final term teaching and assessments were all moved to online which was a big change. However, the teaching staff have made every effort to provide as much support to us as they can, offering one to one meetings on Teams, extra support sessions and always being available via email.

I also wanted to say that I actually know two students who transferred from other Universities to Lincoln in their third year on my course, and both of them seemed to really enjoy their third year. I hope that you two can sort something out and will enjoy Lincoln as much as I have!

Good luck :smile:
Jack
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent
Hi @Writeright and @MoonS1,

I thought that I would just say hello and that I am pleased that both of you are considering switching to the University of Lincoln for your final year. I am a student ambassador here and wondered if you have any questions regarding the University or living in Lincoln?. I am not sure what the plans are regarding Covid for the next academic year but as a final year student, I just wanted to reassure you that the University has been supporting their students well during the current crisis. Our final term teaching and assessments were all moved to online which was a big change. However, the teaching staff have made every effort to provide as much support to us as they can, offering one to one meetings on Teams, extra support sessions and always being available via email.

I also wanted to say that I actually know two students who transferred from other Universities to Lincoln in their third year on my course, and both of them seemed to really enjoy their third year. I hope that you two can sort something out and will enjoy Lincoln as much as I have!

Good luck :smile:
Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for replying! I have been 'informally accepted' to start by admissions so hopefully should be attending in September (if COVID19 etc is all over by then!!) I will be 25 then so a bit worried that I'll be older than a lot of students so a bit concerned that I won't fit in! (Not a huge drinker either lol) Is it easy to join societies etc even if I'm starting in year 3?
Original post by MoonS1
Hi Jack,

Thanks for replying! I have been 'informally accepted' to start by admissions so hopefully should be attending in September (if COVID19 etc is all over by then!!) I will be 25 then so a bit worried that I'll be older than a lot of students so a bit concerned that I won't fit in! (Not a huge drinker either lol) Is it easy to join societies etc even if I'm starting in year 3?

Hi @MoonS1,

I am another student ambassador here and do a lot of work with the Student's Union here at Lincoln! That's great news on your acceptance, congratulations!
Please do not worry about being older than the others, age doesn't really seem to be a big factor at university in my experience. Not everyone goes out drinking and there is always plenty of social things to do which don't have to involve drinking, so please don't worry!
In terms of societies, it is so easy to join them and it really couldn't be easier! Is there anything you are interested in joining? If you are unsure yet you can find a list here of what is on offer currently! If you don't fancy these ones then you can start your own society! I did this in 2nd year and you get so much support! Joining a society allows you to have friends in all years so if you find you don't get along/fit in with the people on your course, then your society friends will always be a closer knit group due to shared interests.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know!
Lexy :smile:
4th year student rep

Quick Reply

Latest