The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Foundation year in Applied Biosciences at Coventry University

Hi I’ll be doing a foundation year in applied biosciences in September 2020

Scroll to see replies

I did a foundation year in science (all areas were covered: bio, biochem, Chem, physics, math and skills for science) I completed this summer 2018 if you need help understanding assignment ect give me a shout! :smile:
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by kj17m

Hi Kj,

Congratulations! If you have any questions about the university or accommodation, feel free to ask!

Kind regards,

Monika
Coventry Campus
LLB International Law
Reply 3
Thanks Lauren, I’ll let you know when I need help! :smile:
Original post by kj17m

I have just completed Applied Bioscience foundation year at Cov Uni, feel free to ask any questions and I’ll help as much as possible!
Do you recommend doing bioscience with a foundation year if I haven’t done science at a-levels? Would I find the exams really hard?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you recommend doing bioscience with a foundation year if I haven’t done science at a-levels? Would I find the exams really hard?

Hey,

Thank you for your query.

To do a science degree without a science A Level, would most likely suggest applying for Bioscience with a foundation year as this will allow you to learn all the essential skills you require when progressing onto a degree in a range of health and care subjects. The principles of doing a non-health/science course and a health/science course can vary massively in terms of academic writing and what is expected of you academically. Also, it's useful if you have the academic ability to succeed at degree-level study, but do not have the appropriate subject background knowledge. Successful completion of all modules in this course means you could progress onto year one of your chosen degree. For more information regarding Bioscience with a foundation year, click here.

Assessments are varied and may include a practical class and project performance, written practical reports, project thesis, oral presentations, tutorial tasks and assessments that take place at the end of each six-week block. Mostly, the assessments consist of 60% coursework and 40% phase tests (short tests) - so no end of year exams!. If you haven't already, head to Coventry University for further insight.

I hope this helps you a little. If you have any more questions regarding the course, student life or accommodation don't hesitate to ask!

Veronica
BSc Dietetics
hey I have applied and have got conditional offer I want to do physiotherapy would that be possible thank you
thank you so much this was so good helping me decide if I wants to do the course I would like to do physiotherapy after the applied bioscience course the one I chose starts in January 2022 will I still be able to apply for physiotherapy September 2022 my six form teacher did not recommend it as she said your wasting 4 months but I'm not sure how long this course is
thank you
Original post by fatimah121
thank you so much this was so good helping me decide if I wants to do the course I would like to do physiotherapy after the applied bioscience course the one I chose starts in January 2022 will I still be able to apply for physiotherapy September 2022 my six form teacher did not recommend it as she said your wasting 4 months but I'm not sure how long this course is
thank you

Hi fatimah121,

Congratulations on your offer! If you start your Applied Biosciences course in January 2022, you will then be able to apply to start the physiotherapy course in September 2023 as this course only has a September intake. You can apply to start the foundation course in September 2022 instead and start physiotherapy the following September, granted you meet the entry requirements listed on the website and pass the interview stage :smile:

Applied biosciences course lasts 1 academic year.

I hope this helps!

Amy
Coventry University - Coventry
Biomedical Science student
hi Amy thank you but when I applied they had nothing for September 2021 does that mean I will have to wait for 2 years which is long as I finish my A levels in may 2021 it would be ideal if I could start in September 2022
thank you for your help
(edited 3 years ago)
hi Amy thank you but when I applied they had nothing for September 2021 does that mean I will have to wait for 2 years which is long as I finish my A levels in may 2021 it would be ideal if I could start in September 2022
thank you for your help

Hi @fatimah121,

Thank you for your query.

If you finish A-Levels this year and you begin your foundation year in Biosciences in September of this year, then you'd be applying for the September 2022 intake. As Amy has mentioned, a foundation year lasts one academic year (or 6mths after asking my friend who also took a foundation year) so you would apply for Physiotherapy in the autumn of this year. If there isn't anything available for September 2022, you'd only be waiting 1 year as you'd be able to apply in the autumn of 2022 to get onto the course in September 2023. However, I don't see why there wouldn't be anything available for the September 2022 intake.
Once you begin your foundation degree, there will be sessions provided to help support your application to study Physiotherapy, so I wouldn't get too bogged down about knowing the ins and outs of everything.
Often, it can be hard to know in this situation because as a Student Ambassador I know so much to inform you and it would be best to speak to admissions at Coventry University to find out more accurate information so you understand your options and ask any questions you may have. At least then, you'll attain more accurate answers. Here are the contact details:

Physiotherapy Admissions:
+44 (0) 24 7765 2222
[email protected]

Applied Biosciences Admissions:
+44 (0) 24 7765 8787
Enquire online through the CU Coventry website by clicking on the link

Does this make sense? Let me know if you want further clarification as this is my understanding of your message and how I'm interpreting it :smile:

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
(edited 3 years ago)
I got a offer for applied bioscience Degree at Cu cov.Does Cu differ much from cov uni.Would we still have lectures and stuff?
Hi Amy sorry it’s been long time I called admissions they said If I start in January 2022 I can still apply for new course in September 2022 I hope that’s correct also they said that they don’t have any courses in September 2021
Original post by Anonymous7782
I got a offer for applied bioscience Degree at Cu cov.Does Cu differ much from cov uni.Would we still have lectures and stuff?

Hi @Anonymous7782

Congratulations on your offer! The applied Biosciences course at CU Coventry is a foundation course at our partner group. There are a few differences between these courses and a BSc at Coventry University. Teaching is in smaller groups rather than larger lectures with more 'classroom' style lessons. You also have modules studied over a 6 week period rather than a whole semester. Below is a link to the CU Coventry website and course page for Applied Biosciences. Take a look through the webpage which will give you more information on how the course is taught!

https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cuc/course-structure/foundation/2020-21/science/

I hope this is useful! If you have any more questions about the course or CU Coventry, don't hesitate to ask! :smile:

Amy
Hi Amy sorry it’s been long time I called admissions they said If I start in January 2022 I can still apply for new course in September 2022 I hope that’s correct also they said that they don’t have any courses in September 2021

Hi @fatimah121

That's okay! I'm glad you spoke to the admissions team. That's great news, I'm glad you will be able to start in the September! If the admissions team have advised you are able to, then this information should be correct. Who doesn't have any courses in September 2021, physiotherapy?

Kind regards,
Amy
Original post by Anonymous7782

Hi,

Congratulations on your offer for Bioscience at CU Coventry! CU Coventry is fairly different from Coventry University. It is still based near the main campus.

Lectures for the next academic year will be a mix between online and face to face. You can find more information here:
:https://www.coventry.ac.uk/coronavirus/our-plans-for-september/

Hope this helps :smile:

Mia,

Coventry University- International Fashion Business.
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi @fatimah121

That's okay! I'm glad you spoke to the admissions team. That's great news, I'm glad you will be able to start in the September! If the admissions team have advised you are able to, then this information should be correct. Who doesn't have any courses in September 2021, physiotherapy?

Kind regards,
Amy

Thank you ! X responding sorry I meant they don’t have no applied bioscience foundation courses in September 2021 also I really appreciate the time you took answering my questions thank you x
Thank you ! X responding sorry I meant they don’t have no applied bioscience foundation courses in September 2021 also I really appreciate the time you took answering my questions thank you x

Hi @fatimah121

I see! If the Coventry Campus doesn't have a start date for September, you can always find out from our other campuses in Scarborough or London if they have courses you are interested in! You are most welcome! If you have any more questions in the future, don't hesitate to contact us again on here :smile:

All the best,

Amy
Thank you for all your help I got in applied bios foundation year September one going to work so hard and hopefully get in to physiotherapy x

Quick Reply