The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Uni dilenma- Southampton

Hi. I am Chichi.
I applied to study law for the 2023/2024 entry year at Southampton and I amazingly got accepted on the conditional offer of achieving three As in my A levels. My entry month is to be September, 2023 and I am beyond elated.
I do have a major problem to ask for advice on.
I moved to the UK after the Covid-19 pandemic, in October 2020.
I have come to the knowledge that to qualify for the Student Finance in UK, you have to have been living in the UK for a full three years prior to the start day of your course.
Seeing as I came to the UK in October, 2020, I am unfortunately lacking by just ONE month to qualify for the finance for this 2023 year.
I do not have the funds to pay a whooping £9000 every year for three years, excluding rent and other necessary things so I am thinking to defer my entry to the 2024 entry year.
I also got into London Met and University of Law to start in January 2024.
My question is do you think it is worth it to spend an extra year at home, waiting to qualify for Student Finance, if I get to go to Southampton or should I just go to LMU or Uni of Law although they are nowhere on the university rankings?
Please please I NEED advice on this for my future decisions.
I am 19 right now btw(so I am already a year older).
Thank you in advance.
Hi!
I am so sorry to hear this - it must be really frustrating!
In my opinion, if you love the idea of Southampton and really want to come here (I love it so don't blame you!) I would hold off the extra year so you can apply for student finance.
With regard to you being 19, age isn't really a concept at uni - people won't even know or think anything of it. You'll also find many people are 19 or in their early 20's in first year, so you definitely won't be alone! Plus, there are loads of Masters and postgrad students around who are definitely older than you.
I would take the year to earn some money and maybe do some work experience related to your field if possible, but I would stick with your first choice uni as there's a reason it's first!
Hope this helps :smile:

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by UoS PG students
Hi!
I am so sorry to hear this - it must be really frustrating!
In my opinion, if you love the idea of Southampton and really want to come here (I love it so don't blame you!) I would hold off the extra year so you can apply for student finance.
With regard to you being 19, age isn't really a concept at uni - people won't even know or think anything of it. You'll also find many people are 19 or in their early 20's in first year, so you definitely won't be alone! Plus, there are loads of Masters and postgrad students around who are definitely older than you.
I would take the year to earn some money and maybe do some work experience related to your field if possible, but I would stick with your first choice uni as there's a reason it's first!
Hope this helps :smile:

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador

Hi Abbie
Thank you so much for your response!!!
I am honestly more on the side of waiting for a year because I really want to go to Southampton.
I will probably for sure do an apprenticeship in law and/or fashion to pass the year by.
It might help me in the long run.
This is really encouraging me in the aspect of age.
I hope to see you next year!!!
Thank you again
Chichi.
Original post by ChinweRita
Hi Abbie
I am honestly more on the side of waiting for a year because I really want to go to Southampton.
I will probably for sure do an apprenticeship in law and/or fashion to pass the year by.
Thank you again
Chichi.

I'd wait for Southampton and aim to get some paid work experience or a paid internship.

https://www.ratemyplacement.co.uk/
Original post by ChinweRita
Hi Abbie
Thank you again
Chichi.

Hi Chichi,

Abbie is absolutely right, age really does not make a huge difference at university. I took a year out before coming to Southampton and couldn't recommend it enough. With a gap year you can get some valuable work and life experience that will compliment your time at university, so definitely embrace this free year and know that the chance to go to uni will be waiting at the end of it.

Best of luck with everything!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
I'd wait for Southampton and aim to get some paid work experience or a paid internship.

https://www.ratemyplacement.co.uk/

Thank you so much for the link
I will use it effectively
Reply 6
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi Chichi,

Abbie is absolutely right, age really does not make a huge difference at university. I took a year out before coming to Southampton and couldn't recommend it enough. With a gap year you can get some valuable work and life experience that will compliment your time at university, so definitely embrace this free year and know that the chance to go to uni will be waiting at the end of it.

Best of luck with everything!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:

Hi Jasmine
I will take this advise
Thank you so much for your reply
Chichi
Reply 7
Finally found someone who is in the same position as me. It is really frustrating as I came here on 2nd Sept 2023 so i missed the deadline by a day.Also when the student finance rejected your application, how did they respond because it sounded passive aggressive :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending