The Student Room Group

Can you please help me with my question please? If you don't mind?

Which of the above four strategies(monitoring, prediction, protection, planning) is the least effective in reducing the effects of earthquakes? Why?
uhh, we've done this question before once at school i think: i said planning, because it can be categorised into one of the others. For example, planning can be used as a form of protection to keep the community safe and secure. And, it can also come under prediction because it helps to predict the future of an earthquake and its epicentre (? im not sure) so people can understand the amount of protection needed to stabilise the town and protect it from harm.
Sorry if thats a load of crud, but i hope it helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by _aNtArCtIcA_
uhh, we've done this question before once at school i think: i said planning, because it can be categorised into one of the others. For example, planning can be used as a form of protection to keep the community safe and secure. And, it can also come under prediction because it helps to predict the future of an earthquake and its epicentre (? im not sure) so people can understand the amount of protection needed to stabilise the town and protect it from harm.
Sorry if thats a load of crud, but i hope it helps :smile:

Thank you so much, that's very helpful!
Original post by mirams
Thank you so much, that's very helpful!

no problemo! :h:
Original post by mirams
Which of the above four strategies(monitoring, prediction, protection, planning) is the least effective in reducing the effects of earthquakes? Why?

This isn't my field, but the question is so vague that I would expect that any reasoned answer would get marks. You'd need to define what the "effects of earthquakes" are, and then asses each (overly broad) category against them. Personally, I'd argue that (short-term) prediction is the least effective - we are not good at it, although (longer-term) it does inform what a sensible level of effort is for the other categories. Monitoring enables us to predict tsunamis.

I live close to the San Andreas fault :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending