The Student Room Group

Is 'Benidorm' one of the worst TV series ever?

So it looks like another series of this TV show is about to start soon. Thank god we don't pay a licence fee for ITV!

I really have no idea why this show wasn't axed years ago, it's the same repetitive garbage episode after episode about a bunch of holiday makers sitting around a hotel swimming pool and getting drunk on presumably endless free booze, absorbing lethal doses of UV sunlight, dressed like idiots, with equally moronic hotel staff and hotel management who presumably got their hotel and catering credentials from a packet of half price economy cornflakes that were a few years past the sell by date.

By the way this rather fictitious peculiar hotel is called the 'Solana' and yes it makes Fawlty Towers (an infinitely more enjoyable TV comedy) look like the Savoy by comparison! The very first episode of series 1 fails to get past 3 minutes when some racist bigoted comment is made about German people.

Do hotels like this really exist?? If so I'd sooner spend a week in a North Korean gulag!

A typical episode plot, begins with them getting up then stuffing their faces with brekkie around the hotel swimming pool where they remain for the rest of the day getting drunk on their free booze, before riding down to dinner on their shop mobility scooters to eat in front of some extremely incapable karaoke singers or a low rate vocalist. (repeated next week as episode 2)

Yes I know its comedy but this just isn't funny and as hard as I try, I can not see the humour in it. It doesn't take a lot to make me laugh, and I love comedies like Fawlty Towers, Only fools and horses etc, but Benidorm just doesn't interest me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Are you kidding me? It's such a great TV Series. And yes! Hotels like this really exist all over the world. Many Brits go to the same hotel at the exact same time of year every year and hence get to know eachother! I have been to the hotel Benidorm is filmed at for the last 3 years in a row and there is so much to do there. Typical Brit in Spain, I know but seriously Benidorm is such a great programme.
it atarted off ok first 3 series then absolute bollox
The greatest series EVER! Btw common/chavish people actually do that.
You mustn't have seen Last of the Summer Wine.
In my humble opinion its up there with the worst.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
You mustn't have seen Last of the Summer Wine.

I have, and Benidorm is even worse. Though it was only on for ten series whereas Last of the Summer Wine was on for 37 years.
Original post by barnetlad
I have, and Benidorm is even worse. Though it was only on for ten series whereas Last of the Summer Wine was on for 37 years.
I have seen Benidorm but I think it is at least mildy compelling to watch and ocassionally vaguely humorous; I couldn't make such commendations of Last of the Summer Wine.
I used to love the show. But over the years it went down hill a bit, so stopped watching it.
Reply 9
Original post by Ambitious1999
So it looks like another series of this TV show is about to start soon. Thank god we don't pay a licence fee for ITV!

I really have no idea why this show wasn't axed years ago, it's the same repetitive garbage episode after episode about a bunch of holiday makers sitting around a hotel swimming pool and getting drunk on presumably endless free booze, absorbing lethal doses of UV sunlight, dressed like idiots, with equally moronic hotel staff and hotel management who presumably got their hotel and catering credentials from a packet of half price economy cornflakes that were a few years past the sell by date.

By the way this rather fictitious peculiar hotel is called the 'Solana' and yes it makes Fawlty Towers (an infinitely more enjoyable TV comedy) look like the Savoy by comparison! The very first episode of series 1 fails to get past 3 minutes when some racist bigoted comment is made about German people.

Do hotels like this really exist?? If so I'd sooner spend a week in a North Korean gulag!

A typical episode plot, begins with them getting up then stuffing their faces with brekkie around the hotel swimming pool where they remain for the rest of the day getting drunk on their free booze, before riding down to dinner on their shop mobility scooters to eat in front of some extremely incapable karaoke singers or a low rate vocalist. (repeated next week as episode 2)

Yes I know its comedy but this just isn't funny and as hard as I try, I can not see the humour in it. It doesn't take a lot to make me laugh, and I love comedies like Fawlty Towers, Only fools and horses etc, but Benidorm just doesn't interest me.

Thank god someone has sense. That show gives me anxiety. I loathe all the characters (Kenneth especially) he’s just worst. I can’t believe there are fan pages dedicated to that waste of space. Your right every episode is the same. It’s unoriginal, stupid and not funny at all. It annoys the crap out of me. I’m glad I found your page I was about to start a I hate Benidorm club but then realised I don’t care enough about it to dedicate any more time in my life on it. I can’t believe Derren Litten thinks this was original writing. Thank god television producers decided to scrap the movie. What a joke and now he’s going to set up a bar called Mateo with all the shows memorabilia. Pathetic
Original post by Par1991
Thank god someone has sense. That show gives me anxiety. I loathe all the characters (Kenneth especially) he’s just worst. I can’t believe there are fan pages dedicated to that waste of space. Your right every episode is the same. It’s unoriginal, stupid and not funny at all. It annoys the crap out of me. I’m glad I found your page I was about to start a I hate Benidorm club but then realised I don’t care enough about it to dedicate any more time in my life on it. I can’t believe Derren Litten thinks this was original writing. Thank god television producers decided to scrap the movie. What a joke and now he’s going to set up a bar called Mateo with all the shows memorabilia. Pathetic

Totally agree. Almost forgot about my post lol. So he’s setting up a bar? Do people really have nothing better to do? The TV show was thankfully axed nearly 5 years ago because nobody was interested in it and he is setting up a bar in memory of it. That’s sad. Where is the bar, is it in England? Can’t see it getting much trade especially during these times when a lot of pubs are shutting as it is.
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest