The Student Room Group

Any Year 10's need help?

Hiya, I'm a year 11 student who has some free time on their hands so was wondering if any year 10 students have any questions they want to ask me about subjects they're studying, revision tips, online resources or year 11 in general.

Subjects studied: Eng Lang (AQA), Eng Lit (AQA), Maths (OCR), Chem (AQA), Bio (AQA) Phys (AQA), Drama (OCR), Spanish (AQA)& Geography (AQA).

{I'll check this every so often so if you want to post a question I'll try and respond soon! :smile:}
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by carxlinefxrbes_
Hiya, I'm a year 11 student who has some free time on their hands so was wondering if any year 10 students have any questions they want to ask me about subjects they're studying, revision tips, online resources or year 11 in general.

Subjects studied: Eng Lang (AQA), Eng Lit (AQA), Maths (OCR), Chem (AQA), Bio (AQA) Phys (AQA), Drama (OCR), Spanish (AQA)& Geography (AQA).

I struggle a lot with physics (I also do aqa), any advice?
Original post by Usernamechange44
I struggle a lot with physics (I also do aqa), any advice?

Physics was actually my strongest subject with consistent 9's so I hope these tips help!

I'd highly recommend learning to understand each topic before you start revising it because if you understand it then you're more likely to make the most out of revising it. To do this try talking to/emailing your teacher about any concepts you don't understand (don't be afraid to ask questions!). To understand concepts (and for revision in general) I highly recommend the youtube channel freesciencelessons as he was probably the channel that helped me the absolute most.

Do past papers! With AQA science they look for quite specific answers on the mark schemes so doing past papers is my best tip for you as it really engages you to think what the mark scheme would want. Whilst marking the paper, use a different coloured pen to correct answers you got wrong and make a flashcard on it or note down the topic so you know what you need to revise. It's better to have a general understanding of each topic rather than an in-depth knowledge of one and not know much about the rest so don't worry if you can't understand some of the in-depth concepts (for me it was the magnetism unit that baffled me so I got a generalised understanding of it). I also recommend watching primrosekitten on youtube and her topic summaries/ the whole of AQA GCSE physics videos (I did this right before my mocks whilst making notes and it helped a lot. I also stuck the formulas on flashcards to my ceiling so they were the last thing I saw before I went to sleep (this apparently helps to remember them better and it worked for me! I tried to memorise 2 formulas each night before falling asleep!).

I tended to use the cgp revision guide (I highly recommend purchasing this if you haven't already) and make Cornell style notes on each page but use the revision method that works best for you {flashcards, mindmaps etc..}. Near the end of year 11 I started to make mindmaps of each topic as I, unfortunately, ran out of time to write all my notes. I posted an answer on how to memorise the formulas/remember them a while ago and have it on a doc if you want me to copy it and share it on here? (since quite a lot of the marks are made up from formula questions this could be quite useful for you?) :smile:

do i need chem to study nursing or human biology
Reply 4
Physics was actually my strongest subject with consistent 9's so I hope these tips help!

I'd highly recommend learning to understand each topic before you start revising it because if you understand it then you're more likely to make the most out of revising it. To do this try talking to/emailing your teacher about any concepts you don't understand (don't be afraid to ask questions!). To understand concepts (and for revision in general) I highly recommend the youtube channel freesciencelessons as he was probably the channel that helped me the absolute most.

Do past papers! With AQA science they look for quite specific answers on the mark schemes so doing past papers is my best tip for you as it really engages you to think what the mark scheme would want. Whilst marking the paper, use a different coloured pen to correct answers you got wrong and make a flashcard on it or note down the topic so you know what you need to revise. It's better to have a general understanding of each topic rather than an in-depth knowledge of one and not know much about the rest so don't worry if you can't understand some of the in-depth concepts (for me it was the magnetism unit that baffled me so I got a generalised understanding of it). I also recommend watching primrosekitten on youtube and her topic summaries/ the whole of AQA GCSE physics videos (I did this right before my mocks whilst making notes and it helped a lot. I also stuck the formulas on flashcards to my ceiling so they were the last thing I saw before I went to sleep (this apparently helps to remember them better and it worked for me! I tried to memorise 2 formulas each night before falling asleep!).

I tended to use the cgp revision guide (I highly recommend purchasing this if you haven't already) and make Cornell style notes on each page but use the revision method that works best for you {flashcards, mindmaps etc..}. Near the end of year 11 I started to make mindmaps of each topic as I, unfortunately, ran out of time to write all my notes. I posted an answer on how to memorise the formulas/remember them a while ago and have it on a doc if you want me to copy it and share it on here? (since quite a lot of the marks are made up from formula questions this could be quite useful for you?) :smile:

Could please share your doc? That would be really useful, also thanks for the tips!
Could please share your doc? That would be really useful, also thanks for the tips!

I started to use flashcards to learn formulas but only at times when my brain was most likely to remember them e.g. right before I went to sleep and then once again in the morning, I did use other methods alongside this.

Firstly before an exam, you could attempt lots of practise questions and always write down the formulas when you use them. Also, you could write them down and try to rearrange them to see which format you best remember them. (You could remember them best as formula triangles, words or by associating words with the symbols for the equation)

Last min tips (After you have done the tips above (flashcards etc..)) (DO NOT RELY ON THESE AS YOUR ONLY METHOD OF REVISION)

Right before an exam (for short term memory), you could keep writing down the formulas on a sheet of paper over and over again so when you get into the exam you can turn your paper to the back and write them all down whilst they're in your head. [This is what I try to do but do not rely on it if it's the only revision you will do!]

Whilst in an exam you may get a formula question where you are given some information such as the units for the answer. In most cases, the units are the formula! For example, the formula for density=mass/volume and the units are g/cm3 or kg/m3 (the / standing for divide if you use this technique).

Another thing in the exam, if you are really struggling to remember an equation, is that in most formulas for energy, everything on the other side is multiplied. E.g. KE= 0.5 x m x v^2. And GPE= m x g x h. E=QV and E=Pt.

Finally, you will be given certain things to use in the question itself. Sometimes the question may be - State the formula linking density, mass and volume. (D=m/v) and then there will be a second question underneath asking you to work an answer out with given values. Tip: think about whether or not these values will have a positive relationship (One will increase as the other does [they will be timsed]) or whether they will have a negative relationship (One will decrease as the other does[they will be divided]). Lastly, does your answer seem reasonable? eg. would the weight of a truck on earth really be 10g? If not try another formula and check if your answer seems more accurate.

Hope this helps! (I had to change some of this into past tense so sorry if there are any mistakes!) :smile:
Original post by hello1242547
do i need chem to study nursing or human biology

Are you referring to GCSE chemistry (triple science) or A-level chemistry to study uni degrees in nursing/human biology?
Reply 7
Hello,
I was just wondering have you finished your GCSEs or are you waiting for your grades to come?
Original post by D1245
Hello,
I was just wondering have you finished your GCSEs or are you waiting for your grades to come?

Hiya, I am waiting for my grades to come but have completed two sets of mock papers and have done all of my drama coursework (so I know roughly what grades I'm working at) and thought I'd come on here to help. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
could you please help me with english lit/lang
Original post by foreverrocking

yes same please, I'm absolutely hopeless! also, could you give me some Spanish advice please? I'm currently working at like 7 or 8 in yr9 so it's not exactly bad, but I would still like some advice to hit those 9s next year! thanks :smile:
Original post by foreverrocking

Original post by hffhgghhghg
yes same please, I'm absolutely hopeless! also, could you give me some Spanish advice please? I'm currently working at like 7 or 8 in yr9 so it's not exactly bad, but I would still like some advice to hit those 9s next year! thanks :smile:

I posted this as a response a while ago on another post but here it is but I've edited it a bit. I can help with specific questions in papers if there are some you particularly struggle with?
Hope this helps :smile:

English Lit & Lang:

For English lit, I recommend watching the following youtube channels and making notes/flashcards/mindmaps (whichever you prefer)
-Mr Bruff (His videos are also really useful for English Language and how to tackle each question individually)
-StaceyReay (Has specific videos for those aiming for higher grades, very informative helped me achieve the higher grades)
The thing with your English lit essays is that you want to stand out from the rest (the examiners want to see your analysis/opinions). keep in mind these examiners will be marking hundreds of papers one after another so if you can put your own key bit of analysis or analyse a quote that people tend to look over: you'll already have their interest! Try to tailor this analysis back to the context of the question and the time period (if relevant). I also suggest rereading your texts before the exam to remind yourself of them. Another thing is to be consistent with your analysis and paragraphing: it's better to have several paragraphs that have strong analysis than 1 paragraph with really strong analysis and then several others with weak analysis. Two techniques that I liked to reference if I could find them, were polysyndeton (the repetition of conjunctions in a sentence {e.g. there are millions and millions and millions of Eva Smiths}) and also the opposite of this which is an asyndetic list (the overuse of commas/large use of them {e.g. "A squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner!”.}). You also need to analyse quotes deeper than their surface level and link back to the context where you can (not too much though). With regards to poetry, I recommend printing out a blank copy of the poem and then analysing it again to see which features you remember but also (this is kind of a trick I used but it doesn't always work) I tried to learn the poems that had the most themes as I could then compare it to any poem given in the question {the issue with that is that the poem you've learnt may be the one that comes up so try to learn 2-3}. For English lang, I recommend Mr Bruff videos and also being aware of how to set out your answers (paragraph wise). Also, practise papers are always good!
Original post by hffhgghhghg

Don't worry about your Spanish grades too much as you're already way on track to hitting that high grade as you tend to go up 1-2 grades just in year 11! I can still try and give you some tips though although I'll admit, Spanish isn't a subject that I actually revised a lot for apart from speaking (and session 6) but when I did revise it this is what I did:

Listening: Watch Netflix. (I'm not kidding!) I would watch a show on Netflix and change the language to Spanish with English subtitles (you could also do this the other way round for reading practice!). Basically, you need to get used to hearing the language being spoken: past papers are also good for this. I also recommend annotating the words you know in the first 5 minutes you get to go through the paper and when you are listening put a cross next to the answers you know are incorrect.

Reading: Past papers and learn your vocabulary. Practise really does make perfect. Also, if you're in an exam and struggling try to read around the text to gather context. e.g. if the question is like why does Maria like playing some sports? You know you need to look for a reference to a specific sport or the word deporte etc.. Another tip is to put a cross next to the answers you know are definitely incorrect.

Writing: For writing, I recommend that you learn your vocab!!! I also suggest learning specific phrases/sentences that are versatile: when I did this I tended to learn a couple of versatile phrases in different tenses (especially the higher level tenses such as conditional). Also practise past papers.

Speaking: Learn your answers!!!! To do this I used the website memorisenow (this actually got recommended to my school after I told them I used it!). However, when you're in the exam, try to sound like your answers are spontaneous as you do gain marks for that! Also, try and listen out for the question words being used so even if you don't understand the content of a question, you know roughly what answer they are looking for. {e.g. if you hear Quien you know they are wanting a person in response and if they ask donde, you know they are asking for a location/place [forgive the lack of accents I don't know how to put them aha]}

Hope this helps! :smile:
Don't worry about your Spanish grades too much as you're already way on track to hitting that high grade as you tend to go up 1-2 grades just in year 11! I can still try and give you some tips though although I'll admit, Spanish isn't a subject that I actually revised a lot for apart from speaking (and session 6) but when I did revise it this is what I did:

Listening: Watch Netflix. (I'm not kidding!) I would watch a show on Netflix and change the language to Spanish with English subtitles (you could also do this the other way round for reading practice!). Basically, you need to get used to hearing the language being spoken: past papers are also good for this. I also recommend annotating the words you know in the first 5 minutes you get to go through the paper and when you are listening put a cross next to the answers you know are incorrect.

Reading: Past papers and learn your vocabulary. Practise really does make perfect. Also, if you're in an exam and struggling try to read around the text to gather context. e.g. if the question is like why does Maria like playing some sports? You know you need to look for a reference to a specific sport or the word deporte etc.. Another tip is to put a cross next to the answers you know are definitely incorrect.

Writing: For writing, I recommend that you learn your vocab!!! I also suggest learning specific phrases/sentences that are versatile: when I did this I tended to learn a couple of versatile phrases in different tenses (especially the higher level tenses such as conditional). Also practise past papers.

Speaking: Learn your answers!!!! To do this I used the website memorisenow (this actually got recommended to my school after I told them I used it!). However, when you're in the exam, try to sound like your answers are spontaneous as you do gain marks for that! Also, try and listen out for the question words being used so even if you don't understand the content of a question, you know roughly what answer they are looking for. {e.g. if you hear Quien you know they are wanting a person in response and if they ask donde, you know they are asking for a location/place [forgive the lack of accents I don't know how to put them aha]}

Hope this helps! :smile:

Yes thank you! :smile:
I posted this as a response a while ago on another post but here it is but I've edited it a bit. I can help with specific questions in papers if there are some you particularly struggle with?
Hope this helps :smile:

English Lit & Lang:

For English lit, I recommend watching the following youtube channels and making notes/flashcards/mindmaps (whichever you prefer)
-Mr Bruff (His videos are also really useful for English Language and how to tackle each question individually)
-StaceyReay (Has specific videos for those aiming for higher grades, very informative helped me achieve the higher grades)
The thing with your English lit essays is that you want to stand out from the rest (the examiners want to see your analysis/opinions). keep in mind these examiners will be marking hundreds of papers one after another so if you can put your own key bit of analysis or analyse a quote that people tend to look over: you'll already have their interest! Try to tailor this analysis back to the context of the question and the time period (if relevant). I also suggest rereading your texts before the exam to remind yourself of them. Another thing is to be consistent with your analysis and paragraphing: it's better to have several paragraphs that have strong analysis than 1 paragraph with really strong analysis and then several others with weak analysis. Two techniques that I liked to reference if I could find them, were polysyndeton (the repetition of conjunctions in a sentence {e.g. there are millions and millions and millions of Eva Smiths}) and also the opposite of this which is an asyndetic list (the overuse of commas/large use of them {e.g. "A squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner!”.}). You also need to analyse quotes deeper than their surface level and link back to the context where you can (not too much though). With regards to poetry, I recommend printing out a blank copy of the poem and then analysing it again to see which features you remember but also (this is kind of a trick I used but it doesn't always work) I tried to learn the poems that had the most themes as I could then compare it to any poem given in the question {the issue with that is that the poem you've learnt may be the one that comes up so try to learn 2-3}. For English lang, I recommend Mr Bruff videos and also being aware of how to set out your answers (paragraph wise). Also, practise papers are always good!

Thanks so much
Reply 15

{I'll check this daily so if you want to post a question I'll try and respond as soon as I can! :smile:}

This question is about English, what is the structure for ozymandias? What is the significance of the structure and why is it so important? What does the structure show?
This question is about English, what is the structure for ozymandias? What is the significance of the structure and why is it so important? What does the structure show?

Okay, unfortunately, I have put all my old english lit stuff in the attic so I'll have to try and state what I can from memory aha. I'll give you some bullet points as notes tend to be easier to remember for exams and stuff like that rather than paras of analysis:

-It is a single stanza poem. (And a sonnet)
----> this could be alluding to the transient (short-lived nature) of mankind in the presence of nature as nature is kind of portrayed as this figure of power that in this case is stronger than man. It is showing that nature is an eternal being that in the end defeats/outlives mankind and cannot be beaten.
-----> Could also be trying to state that mankind is singular in a world full of many things yet think they can stand and rule over everything (although from the ending: we know they can't).

-It is metered in iambic pentameter (Could go into a deeper analysis of this but this is a basic idea to get you started :smile:)
------> This could once again highlight the power of nature.

-Has a somewhat abnormal rhyme scheme for sonnets of Shelley's era
------> Could highlight the absurdity he thinks (how unnatural it is) for mankind to try and assert it's dominance over nature through statues etc... even though we should know nature always prevails, he is immortalising nature compared to man. Structures can be destroyed.

-Has a volta at the ninth/ tenth line " And on the pedestal, these words appear: My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;"
------->Here there is a shift in the speaker as we move from the traveller to the statue itself even though the poem is in the second person to begin with making it a polyphonic poem. This shift could be to signify the fact that the story of Ozymandias has to be passed down or that by having the engraving on his statue (Ozymandia's that is) he is claiming to have more power than mankind can actually ever have.

-It is told in second person (by the traveller)
----> This could be Shelley's way of trying to establish how insignificant man is compared to nature: the traveller has to be told about Ozymandias even though he is perceived to be this all-powerful figure who 'everyone should know about'. It really highlights how mankind has this idea in their head that they'll be known forever and try to immortalise themself (by building a statue/having one built in this case) even though they are just trying to escape from how transient their lives actually are in the grand scheme of things. This also distances the reader further from Ozymandias.

You could also comment on structures like enjambment, caesura or Sheely's use of irony through the structure of the last line.

I also highly recommend checking out some mrbruff videos on this such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrEBcTGX2jM for a short watch or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Egz2bDQ0o for a long watch.

Tried to keep this a bit concise as you'll need to build off of these ideas and develop your own personal analysis but I hope these helped! :smile:
There is a mentoring programme taking place should any year 10s need consistent support. There are more mentors than mentees so year 10s are needed, it is located here
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6535458&p=89287602&page=3#post89287602

{I'll check this daily so if you want to post a question I'll try and respond as soon as I can! :smile:}

hi, i am ever so needing help for geography and spanish, particularly spanish. I always get nervous when it comes to speakings and struggle with the listenings
Hi everyone. I’m a year 11 expecting 9s in English lit and Lang, Biology, history, Latin, drama, Chem and French and 8s I’m maths and physics. PM me and I can help you with concepts you don’t get, advice, resources, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest