The Student Room Group

Who are smarter Engineers or Doctors ?

While i know getting into med school is tougher due to less seats and competitions ,but i think the materials in engineering are conceptually more difficult and intellectually more rigorous ! There are many low level engineers and doctors (engineers more prolly), also elite level in both. But when considering the like-for-like /same level people from both, i think engineers are smarter . A huge portion of medicine is memorization,i think engineering requires more logical reasoning and creativity. Many people prolly don't know enough and thus go on with the cliche doctors are smart (many even thinks smartest ahead of physicists ,mathematicians) .For the reasons stated, think engineers are smarter than doctors !!
What do you think? give your arguments and logics

Scroll to see replies

Depends what kind of doctor and what kind of engineer. Both professions are so broad that generalisation is meaningless
Doing engineering doesn't make someone smarter than someone doing medicine and neither does someone doing medicine make them smarter than someone doing engineering. An intelligent person just chooses the career path that they find more interesting, now it could be that most smart people generally find engineering more interesting, doesn't mean that engineers are definitely smarter than doctors and vice versa, if by "smartness" you're referring to iq.
Who's smarter out of Engineers or Doctors? or
People who don't waste money on uni are the real winners
Doctors are LITERALLY life savers, engineers solve problems which could help save your life

Both as smart as each other IMO...(Coming from someone who want to be an engineer)
Original post by Becca216
Doctors are LITERALLY life savers, engineers solve problems which could help save your life

Both as smart as each other IMO...(Coming from someone who want to be an engineer)

A lot of the tools a doctor uses would be designed by engineers.
Original post by Trihawk7
A lot of the tools a doctor uses would be designed by engineers.

Yes but when engineers accidentally injure themselves or get ill - the doctors will be there to help them
Yes but when engineers accidentally injure themselves or get ill - the doctors will be there to help them

Again, when those engineers who get injured or become sick, doctors would use tools designed by engineers to make them get better.
Original post by Messi10Munna
While i know getting into med school is tougher due to less seats and competitions ,but i think the materials in engineering are conceptually more difficult and intellectually more rigorous ! There are many low level engineers and doctors (engineers more prolly), also elite level in both. But when considering the like-for-like /same level people from both, i think engineers are smarter . A huge portion of medicine is memorization,i think engineering requires more logical reasoning and creativity. Many people prolly don't know enough and thus go on with the cliche doctors are smart (many even thinks smartest ahead of physicists ,mathematicians) .For the reasons stated, think engineers are smarter than doctors !!

engineer or in french: ingénieur or German: Ingenieur

derived from Latin word for genius: ingenium

Engineers are geniuses, I rest my case
Reply 10
Engineers.

They have to use their creativity and solid problem solving and analytical skills and their Maths and Physics to solve problems.

Doctors
Biology A Level is mostly memory and the medicine degree is a lot of memory work. The human body hasn’t changed in centuries. They diagnose and fix much like a car mechanic. Yes doctors have to keep up to date with medical advances but the human body is the same fundamentally as always been. Most of the equipment used to help diagnose is designed and made by engineers.

Engineering you have to constantly keep up to date with latest technology, be creative to your solutions to problems.

There are some smart doctors out there but there are also some thick ones who didn’t do so well at school that are now doctors. You get smart in both professions so is only a blanket observation.
Reply 11

That bridge you walk over to work who designs that to make sure is safe so thousands of lives are not lost. Civil engineers.
Original post by 161BMW
That bridge you walk over to work who designs that to make sure is safe so thousands of lives are not lost. Civil engineers.

How could even pick a side? Try living without either, and you wouldn't live for this long

"Logical reasoning and creativity" is in fact very important in medicine. If you try to practice medicine on autopilot or solely based on textbook knowledge (presumably what you refer to as "memorisation") with a one size fits all approach, you will eventually come unstuck because patients are unpredictable and highly varied. The human body and human health is actually really complex - something the reductionists don't seem to wish to acknowledge which is why they think healthcare apps will solve everything.

The difficult part of being a doctor is not "memorising" treatment protocols or pre-clinical science - it's being able to reason why you think something is or isn't the case when it presents in a non-textbook manner, and then being able to put this across to the patient in a way that makes sense and helps them understand what's going on.

If anything medicine is quite similar to jazz music - improvisation i.e. creativity is pretty important.

I don't think you need to be a genius to be a doctor - I absolutely think you need to have your brain switched on so you don't miss things though.

(I have no experience of engineering so I refuse to get drawn into a contest :wink:)
I vote option C, algebraic geometers and/or Indo-European philologists.
Original post by 161BMW
There are some smart doctors out there but there are also some thick ones who didn’t do so well at school that are now doctors.

Standard offer to study medicine is AAA - some unis are a bit lower like AAB, some higher like A*AA. People who don’t do well at school don’t become doctors.

My friend is doing an engineering degree with a £££ sponsorship on CDE

i don’t think you know much about what a doctor does.
Reply 16
Original post by AnnaBananana
Standard offer to study medicine is AAA - some unis are a bit lower like AAB, some higher like A*AA. People who don’t do well at school don’t become doctors.

My friend is doing an engineering degree with a £££ sponsorship on CDE

i don’t think you know much about what a doctor does.

I know what a doctor does. It depends on the institution where the engineering course is. The lesser ranked universities have lower entry requirements.

20 years ago Medicine at IC was ABB and Engineering at IC was AAB. Go figure.

There were people at my school who didn’t get all A* at GCSEs and didn’t get all As at A Level and some had to retake A Levels and got in medicine.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17

Watch House and then decide if medicine is mere memory or maybe there is a problem solving element. Seems to me the human body is a very complex machine, lots of parts interact, and whilst memorised facts are essential in evaluating the evidence the person is either displaying or describing a thorough understanding of the interrelationships is essential to precisely determine what is going on and why.

If you want a topical point, consider Covid 19 and the various reactions of the body to this virus, mere facts hardly cut it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DJKL
Watch House and then decide if medicine is mere memory or maybe there is a problem solving element. Seems to me the human body is a very complex machine, lots of parts interact, and whilst memorised facts are essential in evaluating the evidence the person is either displaying or describing a thorough understanding of the interrelationships is essential to precisely determine what is going on and why.

If you want a topical point, consider Covid 19 and the various reactions of the body to this virus, mere facts hardly cuts it.

House is probably the most unrealistic representation of medicine ever but I appreciate what you're saying :tongue:

In my opinion the most smartest person is the one who has a passion towards what they r doing. Doesn't matter if it is an engineer or a doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending