The Student Room Group

Sister making fun of me

We are four sisters. Two are older than me one younger. My eldest sister is 7 years older than me and second one is 5 year.
They both have not been so interested in studies since school. And their main aim is to get married so my mom has been looking for guys for them (as it’s common in our culture) and they have dated guys too.
I have to this point never really thought about getting married any soon and it’s been in my mind that obviously when my sisters will get married only then my mom will look guys for me. And I have not had a bf since college as I wanted to focus on my studies in uni.
However, my second number sister suddenly taunted me out of nowhere and made fun of me that no guy approaches you haha!! I was in shock when she said this.
Then she taunt many times saying that “we (my elder sisters) get proposals from people living abroad, doctors, engineers” I mean if my mom is looking for them then obviously they’ll get proposals 🙄 and when my mom has not yet considered me and also I don’t want her to yet then why is she taunting me? And what’s the show off in this? I mean these guys are not personally proposing her that she’s being proud of it. It’s actually through a lady that helps people find the right matches and tbh I have never seen a doctors or engineers begging to marry them. And even if it is why is she comparing with me I am like 5 years younger than her.
Not only she taunt me she said to my mom that there’s someone she know of who wants to get married and they are looking for a girl living in London and she suggested to my mom about me and then later on she was making fun of me with my mom that that guy is uncle type and ugly and send proposal for me.

This all really hurt me nd idk how to get over it I mean I don’t understand that when I have never said that I want to get married then why she comparing me with her? And not having bf how does that show that no one approaches me?
Original post by Anonymous
We are four sisters. Two are older than me one younger. My eldest sister is 7 years older than me and second one is 5 year.
They both have not been so interested in studies since school. And their main aim is to get married so my mom has been looking for guys for them (as it’s common in our culture) and they have dated guys too.
I have to this point never really thought about getting married any soon and it’s been in my mind that obviously when my sisters will get married only then my mom will look guys for me. And I have not had a bf since college as I wanted to focus on my studies in uni.
However, my second number sister suddenly taunted me out of nowhere and made fun of me that no guy approaches you haha!! I was in shock when she said this.
Then she taunt many times saying that “we (my elder sisters) get proposals from people living abroad, doctors, engineers” I mean if my mom is looking for them then obviously they’ll get proposals 🙄 and when my mom has not yet considered me and also I don’t want her to yet then why is she taunting me? And what’s the show off in this? I mean these guys are not personally proposing her that she’s being proud of it. It’s actually through a lady that helps people find the right matches and tbh I have never seen a doctors or engineers begging to marry them. And even if it is why is she comparing with me I am like 5 years younger than her.
Not only she taunt me she said to my mom that there’s someone she know of who wants to get married and they are looking for a girl living in London and she suggested to my mom about me and then later on she was making fun of me with my mom that that guy is uncle type and ugly and send proposal for me.

This all really hurt me nd idk how to get over it I mean I don’t understand that when I have never said that I want to get married then why she comparing me with her? And not having bf how does that show that no one approaches me?

Hi, I'm so sorry for the situation you're in. From my perspective it sounds a lot like jealousy. You're living your life in the way you want to and it seems like your sister is not happy/comfortable with how her life is going so is taking it out on you instead. There isn't much you can do except try to live with kindness and empathy towards them while also enjoying your life how you want it to be and not letting societal expectations define your lifestyle. I wish you so much luck!
Reply 2
Hi, I'm so sorry for the situation you're in. From my perspective it sounds a lot like jealousy. You're living your life in the way you want to and it seems like your sister is not happy/comfortable with how her life is going so is taking it out on you instead. There isn't much you can do except try to live with kindness and empathy towards them while also enjoying your life how you want it to be and not letting societal expectations define your lifestyle. I wish you so much luck!

Hmm thanks for advice :smile:
Your sister sounds like an obnoxious jerk.
She may be turning spiteful towards you because she is insecure about her own marriage prospects.
Or jealous of you for being younger than she is and having a more pleasant personality/more attractive looks/more dating opinions/better taste in men than she does.
People who are unhappy or insecure about their choices will often tease others to make themselves feel better.

Live your live as you please and with confidence. They will find it infuriating :smile:

Your sisters don't seem to have much control over their lives in terms of education or job prospects - these are big things and you're the one that actually has control over them, alongside this even the marriage aspect that your sister is wanting to pursue is another thing she has no control over because her matches are decided for her. Your choice to pursue education is a foreign thing for her and she's probably taunting you out of jealousy and the fact that you're actually able to make your own choices, so the next time she tries this just tell her that you're the one actually capable of making your own decisions for yourself.

The whole doctor and engineering thing, just proves that she really hasn't got much going for her and that she just wants someone to make her look good and she lives through that fact. It is a bit sad that she feels that she needs to marry someone to make herself be someone and puts you down about it.

If she's talking so much about the proposal for you, then why doesn't she marry him herself seeing as she knows so much about him :wink: It's also fine not to pursue a relationship yet, so it's alright if you don't have a bf - for her to put you down about it is wrong, because tbh dating multiple guys and not getting anywhere with any of them isn't really a good look for her so I don't understand why she's trying to show off? I hope you meet the right person when the time comes but don't worry about it and focus on your studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending