The Student Room Group

University Selection. Please do help

I have received admits form Arts university Bournemouth , University of Brighton, Leeds Arts university and Ravensbour University London. I am very confused. I really like AUB but Bournemouth seems to be a small place comparatively. please do help. Any advice is more than welcome.
First of all look at the course, do any of them have modules that sound really interesting to you, or have optional modules that might help you in the future. Then you need to look at the uni itself as after all you are going to be there for 3+ years, think about the city/campus, the societies, the nightlife, accommodation, how far it is away from home. Maybe create a pros/cons list for each uni. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by igauri
I have received admits form Arts university Bournemouth , University of Brighton, Leeds Arts university and Ravensbour University London. I am very confused. I really like AUB but Bournemouth seems to be a small place comparatively. please do help. Any advice is more than welcome.

Do you mean AUB itself is a bit small compared to the other places or Bournemouth as a place itself?

Bournemouth is a town so it's going to be less busy and bustling than Brighton, Leeds and London and if you've been to the campus you'll know that it's not that close to Bournemouth town centre, if that is something that is important to you.
Reply 3
I am a international student so couldn't visit the uni physically, hence the confusion. I am just doubtful that being a small place, will I get good exposure in Bournemouth. As ranking wise AUB is very good for graphics
Original post by igauri
I am a international student so couldn't visit the uni physically, hence the confusion. I am just doubtful that being a small place, will I get good exposure in Bournemouth. As ranking wise AUB is very good for graphics

Bournemouth is a really contemporary location and is really busy for its size due to it being a popular tourist destination. Have you visited a virtual open day/taken a virtual tour of the uni? See if they have this available on their website.

What kind of exposure are you hoping for?

As you already know, AUB and the course are highly ranked, if it's the town that's stopping you I wouldn't let that be the only reason. It's lovely here and I'm sure you'll have a great time in the town. You are only two hours away from London by train and around 30 minutes from Southampton. We come under the council area of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole and actually have quite a large population. Plus we are one of the up and coming technology bases in the country and have Sandbanks just a couple of miles away.

I would really encourage you to look into all that the area has to offer and ask AUB about the exposure side of things, do you mean displaying work? Placements?
Reply 5
Thank you, this is really helpful. From exposure I don't mean placement, from exposure I mean the atmosphere - being between the creative People. It's just that Bournemouth is far from home, that is why I was a bit concerned.
Original post by igauri
Thank you, this is really helpful. From exposure I don't mean placement, from exposure I mean the atmosphere - being between the creative People. It's just that Bournemouth is far from home, that is why I was a bit concerned.

Bournemouth is certainly full of creative people, as are places like Brighton, London and Bristol. I really would encourage you to look at the student union clubs and societies for each university as they are a great starting point to see what's already on offer, you can also join the clubs and societies at Bournemouth Uni (next door to AUB), so you have even more choices.

I would then research the local areas, think about specific hobbies you have (craft, gigs, street food, volunteering) and find out more about the events which are usually held (consider lots will have been cancelled this year so maybe look at previous events).

Also watch some YouTube videos, try to personalise it a bit more by searching for key terms such as "alternative", "creative", "LBGT", "arts", "students" etc so you don't just see the tourism videos. The only location of yours I don't know well is Leeds, but I think any of the others are great choices and hopefully someone who knows Leeds can offer some insight soon. It will ultimately be a very personal choice, don't let distance put you off, you just need to do lots of research, ideally visit if and when you can and then follow your heart.

Quick Reply

Latest