The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle Partners Scheme

Basically, I’ve been accepted into the partners scheme and have a reduced offer of BBB. However I know for a fact I’m not going to get these grades, and miss them by quite a bit. However I haven’t completed the summer school yet and was wondering if there’s actually any point in going. Is the experience good? I don’t really see the point as I’m not going to get the grades.

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by rekan1738
Basically, I’ve been accepted into the partners scheme and have a reduced offer of BBB. However I know for a fact I’m not going to get these grades, and miss them by quite a bit. However I haven’t completed the summer school yet and was wondering if there’s actually any point in going. Is the experience good? I don’t really see the point as I’m not going to get the grades.

Hi rekan1738,

I queried this with our PARTNERS team for you, here's what they have advised:

'Firstly, I would say that it is very difficult to tell how exams have gone at this point. If a student chooses not to sit the Summer School they would be limiting their options as their offer will revert to the standard higher grade offer for the course they have applied to.

There is still merit in completing the Summer School. If a student does miss their grades they will be reconsidered on Results Day and if they have completed the PARTNERS Academic Summer School this will also be taken into consideration at this point. If they are unsuccessful in securing a place with us this year and reapply for 2019 entry then their Summer School result will carry over and they will not need to complete it again (this does not apply for Medicine).'

Hope this helps 😊

Susie
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi rekan1738,

I queried this with our PARTNERS team for you, here's what they have advised:

'Firstly, I would say that it is very difficult to tell how exams have gone at this point. If a student chooses not to sit the Summer School they would be limiting their options as their offer will revert to the standard higher grade offer for the course they have applied to.

There is still merit in completing the Summer School. If a student does miss their grades they will be reconsidered on Results Day and if they have completed the PARTNERS Academic Summer School this will also be taken into consideration at this point. If they are unsuccessful in securing a place with us this year and reapply for 2019 entry then their Summer School result will carry over and they will not need to complete it again (this does not apply for Medicine).'

Hope this helps 😊

Susie

I have the same concern as well as I feel that my offer of BBB won't be met as it looks like I will get like (A/A*)CC at this point tbh any response ?
I am also worried about this. My offer is AAB with partners but I feel like realistically I may get BBB at the highest.. the exams have been really hard for me this year :frown:
Reply 5
Thanks for this, I guess I’ll just go anyway as there really is nothing to lose.
hi can I ask what your statistics were?
I'm interested in applying for the partners scheme however I have a low ukcat score and GCSE's

thank you
Aileen
Original post by StudentAlev
I am also worried about this. My offer is AAB with partners but I feel like realistically I may get BBB at the highest.. the exams have been really hard for me this year :frown:

hi just seen this now but isnt partners offer BBB?
Original post by Lalisa1
hi just seen this now but isnt partners offer BBB?

Hi Lalisa1,

Hope you don't mind us jumping in here :smile: PARTNERS offers do vary from course to course but BBB is a very common offer. It's usually 3 grades lower than the 'typical' offer so if normal requirements are ABB the PARTNERS offer can be as low as BCC. If you could please let us know which course you're interested in studying, we can share the typical PARTNERS offer with you.

Hope this helps,
Laura.
Hi Lalisa1,

Hope you don't mind us jumping in here :smile: PARTNERS offers do vary from course to course but BBB is a very common offer. It's usually 3 grades lower than the 'typical' offer so if normal requirements are ABB the PARTNERS offer can be as low as BCC. If you could please let us know which course you're interested in studying, we can share the typical PARTNERS offer with you.

Hope this helps,
Laura.

Hi thank you. I am wanting to study medicine. Also does applying to partners have the same acceptance rate than normal route. Also can you please clarify the reference we need on partners form and will the university contact themselves?
Hi Lalisa1,

Thank you for sharing :smile: Applying for Medicine through the PARTNERS route would require BBB at A Level. We do not accept General Studies, Critical Thinking, Use of Mathematics, World Development or Communication and Culture as an A Level entry qualification. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A Levels, we require a pass in the practical element. You can find this information on our course page. With it being a lower grade requirement, this provides many applicants with a safety net, granting more students to be accepted- depending on performance of course! However, this is all based on an eligibility criteria. You can learn more about this here.

In terms of a reference, while completing the application form, you must select the most relevant member of staff in your school/college to verify your details. This should be a teacher or tutor who knows you well enough to verify the accuracy of the details on your application form. We cannot proceed with your application if you select an out-of-date or irrelevant member of staff. If your referee is not available to select, please contact our PARTNERs team via email at [email protected]. The university will get in touch with them regarding your application.

Hope this all helps! You can find more information on our PARTNERS webpages here.
Laura :biggrin:
Reply 11
In terms of a reference, while completing the application form, you must select the most relevant member of staff in your school/college to verify your details. This should be a teacher or tutor who knows you well enough to verify the accuracy of the details on your application form.

Hello,
I was wondering, what does the reference need to do? Do they have to write like 4,000 words like the UCAS references or is it just a quick process where they verify the student's information by confirming that it's all true and accurate?
Original post by cl033
Hello,
I was wondering, what does the reference need to do? Do they have to write like 4,000 words like the UCAS references or is it just a quick process where they verify the student's information by confirming that it's all true and accurate?

Hi cl033,

The school or college referee selected on the PARTNERS application would need to check the details the student has entered are correct, and select verify. We don't require a written reference but there is space to leave additional notes if appropriate - for example, students with personal extenuating circumstances.

The full application will then be sent to the PARTNERS Team for consideration.

I hope this helps!
Scott D
Reply 13
Hi, I’ve had an email to say I’ve been accepted onto the PARTNERS Scheme but I haven’t had an offer through form Newcastle University. Will they send me a reduced offer and if so how long does it usually take to come.
Original post by lsl1111
Hi, I’ve had an email to say I’ve been accepted onto the PARTNERS Scheme but I haven’t had an offer through form Newcastle University. Will they send me a reduced offer and if so how long does it usually take to come.

Hi lsl1111

The next step is our Undergraduate Admissions Team taking the PARTNERS outcome into consideration, considering the full UCAS application and then making a final decision as to whether to make an offer. Response times may vary, depending on the course you've applied for - please keep checking UCAS Hub for updates!

Scott S
Reply 15
Hi lsl1111

The next step is our Undergraduate Admissions Team taking the PARTNERS outcome into consideration, considering the full UCAS application and then making a final decision as to whether to make an offer. Response times may vary, depending on the course you've applied for - please keep checking UCAS Hub for updates!

Scott S

Thankyou!
hi what is the situation with resit candidates, who have the partners scheme eligibility for medicine @newcastle university
Original post by RRR12345678
hi what is the situation with resit candidates, who have the partners scheme eligibility for medicine @newcastle university

Hi RRR12345678,

The entry requirements for our medicine and surgery programme are: AAA in any subject excluding General Studies, Use of Mathematics, World Development, Communication and Culture and Critical Thinking. If Applicants are taking Biology, Chemistry or Physics A Level, a pass in the practical element is required.

Ideally, applicants to our Medicine and Surgery MB BS (A100) programme should have achieved the necessary A level grades at the first attempt as an indicator that the applicant will be able to manage the intensity of the course.

We recognise that circumstances mean that, occasionally, students underperform. As a result, we allow a subject to be repeated once. Applicants are not required to inform us of the circumstances around their resits. However, if a subject is being undertaken for a second time after further study, the expectation is of a higher level of performance. Therefore, the grade requirement from the University will also increase by a grade e.g. A to A*.

A contextual PARTNERS offer from the University will be up to three A level grades lower than the typical entry requirements from the University. As part of the offer, you have to successfully complete the PARTNERS Academic Summer School (PASS). People who are resitting are welcome to apply as a PARTNERS applicant, you can register your interest here.

Therefore, if you decided to resit one A-level, the Medicine and surgery entry requirements would increase to A*AA. If you were eligible for PARTNERS, this offer would typically decrease by 3 grades to AAB.

Hope this helps :smile:
Lydia
Hi RRR12345678,The entry requirements for our medicine and surgery programme are: AAA in any subject excluding General Studies, Use of Mathematics, World Development, Communication and Culture and Critical Thinking. If Applicants are taking Biology, Chemistry or Physics A Level, a pass in the practical element is required.Ideally, applicants to our Medicine and Surgery MB BS (A100) programme should have achieved the necessary A level grades at the first attempt as an indicator that the applicant will be able to manage the intensity of the course. We recognise that circumstances mean that, occasionally, students underperform. As a result, we allow a subject to be repeated once. Applicants are not required to inform us of the circumstances around their resits. However, if a subject is being undertaken for a second time after further study, the expectation is of a higher level of performance. Therefore, the grade requirement from the University will also increase by a grade e.g. A to A*. A contextual PARTNERS offer from the University will be up to three A level grades lower than the typical entry requirements from the University. As part of the offer, you have to successfully complete the PARTNERS Academic Summer School (PASS). People who are resitting are welcome to apply as a PARTNERS applicant, you can register your interest here.Therefore, if you decided to resit one A-level, the Medicine and surgery entry requirements would increase to A*AA. If you were eligible for PARTNERS, this offer would typically decrease by 3 grades to AAB.Hope this helps :smile:Lydia
Thank you very much. Is that AAB in any subject?
Original post by RR12345667
Thank you very much. Is that AAB in any subject?

Hi @RR12345667,

For our Medicine and Surgery MB BS (A100) programme no specific subjects are required at A Level. Although, General Studies; Use of Mathematics; World Development; Communication and Culture; and Critical Thinking are not accepted.

The entry requirements for PARTNERS applicants are BBB at A Level for 2024 entry. As my colleague has advised, if an applicant is resitting a subject the grade requirement will increase by a grade. As such, if a PARTNERS applicant was resitting one subject the requirements would be ABB, two subjects AAB and three subjects AAA.

Once the academic criteria have been met, academic achievement is not considered further in subsequent parts of the application process: e.g. A* results or additional A level or GCSEs are not considered.

Hana :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending