The Student Room Group

Eng Lit GCSE compulsory?

Hey I'm in year 10 and someone in the year below me told me that English lit is now compulsory... Is that nation wide or just at my school?
Thx in advance,
Biran
yes everyone has to do english lit
Reply 2
Original post by rxyaltyx
yes everyone has to do english lit

When did that happen?
And thx for quick reply
Original post by biran4454
When did that happen?

i thought everyone always had to do English lit. arent the compulsory subjects English lit, English language, maths, chem, bio and physics or science if you're doing that
The vast majority of people do english literature but I don't think it's strictly required. Would be pretty unusual not to have it - so your school is definitely taking the same position most do.
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
The vast majority of people do english literature but I don't think it's strictly required. Would be pretty unusual not to have it - so your school is definitely taking the same position most do.

Wow I never knew English literature was taken by loads of people! I'm not doing it and nobody told me it is practically required.
Wow I never knew English literature was taken by loads of people! I'm not doing it and nobody told me it is practically required.

wow ive never heard of people not doing English lit. i always just thought English lang and lit were combined
Reply 7
Original post by rxyaltyx
wow ive never heard of people not doing English lit. i always just thought English lang and lit were combined

Yeah I'm very surprised to find it is compulsory.
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx

I found a sort-of duplicate thread at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5823258 .
Do I need to do something like mark this as a duplicate or something like on stack exchange or is it fine like this?

I mean - aside from looking a bit unusual I doubt it'll have any real impact. (I'm not exactly sure on the numbers of how common it is - there is a difference between english language/literature entry numbers but this includes resits/early sitters/so on, it's my impression that the majority do both at least in England) I wouldn't worry.
(edited 3 years ago)
I found a sort-of duplicate thread at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5823258 .
Do I need to do something like mark this as a duplicate or something like on stack exchange or is it fine like this?

There's nothing against duplicate threads on here - only problem is when the same user reposts the same thing multiple times, so this is fine!
Reply 11
Original post by _gcx
I mean - aside from looking a bit unusual I doubt it'll have any real impact. (I'm not exactly sure on the numbers of how common it is - there is a difference between english language/literature entry numbers but this includes resits/early sitters/so on, it's my impression that the majority do both at least in England) I wouldn't worry.

OK thanks. I doubt missing Lit will interfere too much with further education as it's just a gcse. Thanks for the info.
Reply 12
Original post by _gcx
There's nothing against duplicate threads on here - only problem is when the same user reposts the same thing multiple times, so this is fine!

OK that's good thanks :smile:
Almost everyone take English Literature at state schools as the way Attainment 8 and Progress 8 scores are calculated (which are the main statistics used by the government to rank schools) massively incentivises it. This has been the case for the past 5 or so years. Strictly speaking, there are no compulsory GCSEs but a combination of common sense and the need to look good in league tables mean that most people do a set of core subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest