The Student Room Group

Student posts Tik Tok video disagreeing with BLM, guess what happens next?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hardin-simmons-university-texas-says-student-who-made-racist-tiktok-n1232325?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

I don't think it is racist myself, but decide for yourself, it is easily tracked down on the web.

My point is not about that it is about what is happening to us in the West. This was America, but we all know what starts there, comes here.

How can we have turned into a society in which there is one narrative that is deemed acceptable (this from an avowedly Marxist organisation!) and any public dissent is regarded as heresy?

I have heard it called coercive progressivism. But it doesn't matter what it is called, you all know what is meant by it. None of you were surprised to read this story.

Is this how we want our universities to be?

Where if you make a video that offends someone else you end up with your life in ruins? Kicked out of uni, doxxed by the woke mob? Everyone has to think the same, no-one can disagree?

So all who don't share the woke religious dogma keeps their heads down and pretends to believe in it? Like they live in some totalitarian dictatorship?

Scroll to see replies

I mean that student was clearly being a social media addicted moron trying to get a rise out of people, and it's not surprising the university got shot of her. These places are businesses and image is important, even more so in the US I think. If they didn't do anything there would most likely be a petition going round 5 seconds later telling people to boycott the university and get it shut down or whatever - not a good look or marketing strategy.

Also, people are free to do whatever they want in life and say whatever they want, but everything has a consequence. Maybe she can appeal to Trump to fight for her.
Anyone who uses tik tok is a cancer and should be removed from society anyway. It's a toxic app which nothing good ever comes.
Seems like a stupid joke to me. They knew the consequences yet they still carried on. They even wore their university branded jumper. They also missed the point of the protests which is aimed at police brutality. Last time I checked, the police isn’t only composed of white people
Original post by Guru Jason
Anyone who uses tik tok is a cancer and should be removed from society anyway. It's a toxic app which nothing good ever comes.

💅🏾💅🏾
She failed to uphold the Christian values of her private Baptist university, she only has herself to blame.

Correct decision by the uni involved.

Original post by TigerRoll
Also, people are free to do whatever they want in life and say whatever they want, but everything has a consequence. Maybe she can appeal to Trump to fight for her.

Maybe he should restart Trump University? :smile:
Reply 7
I mean that student was clearly being a social media addicted moron trying to get a rise out of people, and it's not surprising the university got shot of her. These places are businesses and image is important, even more so in the US I think. If they didn't do anything there would most likely be a petition going round 5 seconds later telling people to boycott the university and get it shut down or whatever - not a good look or marketing strategy.

No they aren't free to post whatever they like. That is exactly my point.

Was it immature and childish? Yes. But she is just a kid, barely out of school. The punishment was absurdly disproportionate. That university should be ashamed of itself.

It claims to be Christian. I thought the whole basis of Christianity is that we are all sinners and can atone for our sins and be forgiven.

Not that it even was that much of a sin!
Original post by generallee
Is this how we want our universities to be?

The university in question is a private conservative Christian one.
Reply 9
Original post by anarchism101
The university in question is a private conservative Christian one.

True.

But hardly atypical in being deplorably woke.

Remember this thread, I believe you contributed?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75069380&highlight=lindsay%20shepherd

Was it immature and childish? Yes. But she is just a kid, barely out of school. The punishment was absurdly disproportionate. That university should be ashamed of itself.

It claims to be Christian. I thought the whole basis of Christianity is that we are all sinners and can atone for our sins and be forgiven.

She is, did anybody stop her from posting it? Obviously not. Were there consequences, yes, but that's the same for everything. The university cares about it's rep, not one jumped up student.

A kid barely out of school, bless her.
Original post by Admit-One
Correct decision by the uni involved.

Maybe he should restart Trump University? :smile:

Rednecks be gagging

Aren't you supportive of the free market? I would have thought that you'd be happy for private universities to have the right to remove their pupils over matters such as this.
I couldn't care less about what happens next.
She is, did anybody stop her from posting it? Obviously not. Were there consequences, yes, but that's the same for everything. The university cares about it's rep, not one jumped up student.

A kid barely out of school, bless her.

BLM brings out the best in people, I have noticed that. Watch that you don't make some mistake in your own life that leads to "consequences." :rolleyes:

We hear that BLM regards "empathy" as a guiding principle.

"We are committed to practicing empathy; we engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts."

Where is your empathy for her?
Original post by SHallowvale
Aren't you supportive of the free market? I would have thought that you'd be happy for private universities to have the right to remove their pupils over matters such as this.

This isn't about the university's right to remove their students, but whether it is in the right in so doing.
This isn't about the university's right to remove their students, but whether it is in the right in so doing.

This is a university protecting its reputation. One of their students is trying to cause controversy so the university cut their losses. If I made a controversial video with my uni’s hoodie, I shouldn’t be surprised if I get disciplined

Well you did ask, "Is this how we want our universities to be?" in your OP. I'm guessing your answer to this would be "Yes" since you're a libertarian?

I don't understand why you are outraged over this story. Sure, her losing a place at a university is a bad thing... but this is exactly the kind of thing that would happen under a libertarian system, especially in private education. You seem supportive of the system but not of the outcome.
BLM brings out the best in people, I have noticed that. Watch that you don't make some mistake in your own life that leads to "consequences." :rolleyes:

We hear that BLM regards "empathy" as a guiding principle.

"We are committed to practicing empathy; we engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts."

Where is your empathy for her?

I try my best not to do stupid things which have consequences, because I value my future more than making a spectacle of myself. This has nothing to do with BLM, and I never said I was in support of it. It's called living in the real world and not having my head up my ass. If one of my friends did something like this and got kicked off their course, I'd have empathy that they have ruined what was probably a good thing for them, but otherwise they decided to do it and this is the consequence.
(edited 3 years ago)
TikTok=Cringe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending